Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
julianstoked
CF Newbie

what could possibly be wrong?

I had a new engine put in my 1995 mazda protegeLX (about 160,000 miles) in december of 2004, and ever since then it eats alternator belts. At first, it did the loud squeeling noise for awhile and the belt broke, we had it replaced at the place that in the engine. It was fine for a few months. Then it started doing the loud squeel again. Replaced it again, and a few weeks later, it starts squeeling again. So I think that time we took it back to the same place and paid $300 for a new alternator. Again it was fine for a few weeks, and now its doing it again.

The squeeling gradually gets worse each week. The noise, as of right now, only happens when you start the car, but in previous occasions, it would squeel whenever you had the lights on and would come to a stop.

I am really tired of putting so money into and still nothing. I wish I knew how to replace the belt myself, just to save myself some money.
julianstoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
bigfrye
CF Newbie

The obvious would lead you to look at your other systems on the same belt and see if one of them is broken. Obviously something is wearing your belts and it must not be your alternator. Maybe the a/c compressor is locked up..does your a/c work? maybe your power steering pulley isn't pressed on all the way. I would just do a thorough visual inspection and if nothing is found i would take it to someone who has a clue...its not always the best thing to take it to someone who is cheaper, for example when you have to go back and keep spending money at thier place because they are idiots..
bigfrye is offline   Reply With Quote