Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Latest addition to the fleet: '61 falcon

Brought this '61 Falcon home this past weekend from New Hampshire. $900 Went to CT first on Friday, and bought a tow dolley from a guy on the GRM forums for $200. Then drove up to NH on saturday to pick the car up.

It has a rebuilt engine, and runs good. It was in a garage in storage for the last 20 years, only occasionally being driven (the owner was always going to restore it for his historic firefighting equipment museum, but never got around to it). It has a coupe of rust through areas on the body (two on the trunk, and just behind the rear doors) but the floors, rockers, and quarters are solid, and it has no dents. The interior is tore up, however (though it's not hard to repair) but the headliner is perfect.

It has the 144 cid I6 right now, which was designed to get around 30 mpg back in '60-61, so it'l stay there for a while. It's going to be my new cruiser until the Comet is done. I'm going to lower it with 3" blocks in the rear, and a 4-5" drop in the front to sit like my old tangerine '62 Falcon 4 door did. It'll just be a different color combo (a pastel green with a white top, vs the tangerine and white that the other one was). And then I'll drive it instead of the older Range Rover (which will probably get sold, as the newer Range Rover we have is a much nicer truck to drive. I used the newer one to bring this back)

Here's my old tangerine one I'm building it like:

And this is similar to the color I'm going to use:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Damn Chris that thing looks pretty damn good for the year that it is, and totally stock too, can't believe it was only 900 its not half bad lookin

Although that is one heavy car and that is one underpowered I6 it still is nice, my grammpa had a 62 and it had a sort of tipsy handling and he couldn't really master hills LOL
Old 05-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD

Nice Buy I was just pondering how much it would cost someone like you or Hobo to fully restore something like that(seeing as how most of the labor is done in your garage)?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Damn Chris that thing looks pretty damn good for the year that it is, and totally stock too, can't believe it was only 900 its not half bad lookin

Although that is one heavy car and that is one underpowered I6 it still is nice, my grammpa had a 62 and it had a sort of tipsy handling and he couldn't really master hills LOL

Heavy car? At 2300 lbs, theres only a couple modern micro cars that are lighter. It's smaller and weighs less than a Civic sedan.

yeah, in stock form, it has "tipsy handling" but it's getting a 3"/5" drop (5" in front) to match the tangerine one (which is a '62). But it's also only going to have small 13" whitewall tires, so it's not for cornering or racing.

I was shocked at the condition of the underside of the car. Only light surface rust in sections. I've seen 5 year old cars that were worse...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0189.jpg (28.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0204.jpg (26.4 KB, 13 views)

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 05-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Nice Buy I was just pondering how much it would cost someone like you or Hobo to fully restore something like that(seeing as how most of the labor is done in your garage)?

Parts cost can still be silly money, as things like door rubber is around $190 a set, then carpet and upholstery can be pricey.

I'm just building a rat custom, so spending money or making it perfect is not the goal. That tangrine one was just tinted primer.

I'm going to try to spend less than $800 on it, if that much to make it the way I want it...

...for now.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 05-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Heavy car? At 2300 lbs, theres only a couple modern micro cars that are lighter. It's smaller and weighs less than a Civic sedan.

yeah, in stock form, it has "tipsy handling" but it's getting a 3"/5" drop (5" in front) to match the tangerine one (which is a '62). But it's also only going to have small 13" whitewall tires, so it's not for cornering or racing.

I was shocked at the condition of the underside of the car. Only light surface rust in sections. I've seen 5 year old cars that were worse...
I assumed it was a heavier car because of how my grammpa talked about it lol my bad, but the under carriage is in very good condition, especially for a Northern car, what is the suspension setup for it?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

It's actually considered a compact, and was the car the original '64 Mustang was based on. Suspension is dual A-arm/coil in front, with leaf springs in the rear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0202.jpg (46.1 KB, 20 views)

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

nice, ( all the compliments you already got)

if that weighs 2300 lbs and the 64 mustang was based on it,
then a 68 mustang coupe I6 must weigh at most 2500?
my brother has this car and ive always been curious as to around how much it weighs..
which is still extremely light, It can be rolled around the garage with one person.

but yeah nice falcon and comet and range rovers lol

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Nice car ya got there, Chris. It looks in lovely condition for the price you paid for her!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

Nice car Chrisv. A bit like our XL/XM series.

My XP is being prime coated as I type.

You might be interested in the mechanical upgrades I have included (google is your friend here):

XF power disc brakes and knuckles;
EA/EB rack'n pinion steering;
EA/EB collapsable steering;
XA/XB 1" master cylinder mated to a Subaru Leone Mastervac (clears the shock towers);
Mustang rear;
302 donk mated to a C10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc00007.jpg (58.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Dsc00001.jpg (60.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Wally : 05-26-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:42 AM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Nice car Chrisv. A bit like our XL/XM series.

My XP is being prime coated as I type.

You might be interested in the mechanical upgrades I have included (google is your friend here):

XF power disc brakes and knuckles;
EA/EB rack'n pinion steering;
EA/EB collapsable steering;
XA/XB 1" master cylinder mated to a Subaru Leone Mastervac (clears the shock towers);
Mustang rear;
302 donk mated to a C10.

Very nice! We never got the XP body here, which was a hybrid of the Falcon and US Comet. That one is similar to the '63 Comet that my stepson is getting from me:

I like the idea of the MC and booster. I wonder if any of the later Falcon/Torino/maverick disc brake MC's match the XA/XB unit? We've got the Leone boosters here.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 05-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

The master cylinder is PBR brand, model p6258a. It actually has separate ports for the front and one for the rears.

I can't help you with mix 'n match from your local cars, but interestingly the R&P has the same incidence point as the old tie rods, so no change in bump steer. I've nolathaned all the bushes throughout, although I'm a bit concerned that I may have introduced some harshness in the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlanViewMaster.jpg (40.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SideViewMaster.jpg (53.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Wally : 05-27-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

Here you go ChrisV:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passengerprime.jpg (41.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Damn, that's a good deal. Can't wait to see her when she's done