Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 AM   #61
Newspeak
CF Enthusiast
 
Newspeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 102
I'd never call the SL550 or 6 series competitors of the Carrera, nor should you. The Carrera is a track machine...a street-legal race car. I already told you that the cars you call its 'competitiors' are luxury cruisers with performance tossed in on the side. This 'debate' is going nowhere. You're repeating the same things over and over again due to how you've settled all of this up to just that one mislead perspective in that ever so hard head of yours.

Last edited by Newspeak : 07-08-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #62
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak
I'd never call the SL550 or 6 series competitors of the Carrera, nor should you. The Carrera is a track machine...a street-legal race car. I already told you that the cars you call its 'competitiors' are luxury cruisers with performance tossed in on the side. This 'debate' is going nowhere. You're repeating the same things over and over again due to how you've settled all of this up to just that one mislead perspective in that ever so hard head of yours.

Well, I mean business competitors. I think it's safe to say that people who are looking to shop for 911s of any trim might also be looking at the sl or the 6series. The vehicles themselves do differ obviously...mainly because the sl and 6 series carry more weight and that makes them less responsive.

Anyone who has driven a porsche and an sl or 6 series can you post your thoughts? Does the porsche perform better and drive better? I would love to try a porsche. I was looking at the boxster but I wanted the tiptronic automatic transmission and it made it go slightly over my budget :$
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #63
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
These are 2 makes I have serious complaints over.

Ok, porsches are extremely expensive cars, given the fact they don't exactly offer gigantic engine sizes for options and have absolutely ZERO luxury amenities or options. Why do some porsches cost up to 100 grand if it doesn't provide either of those? For the name? Ok, I can see that with a ferrari, (which is another one that doesn't offer any options) but at least that doesn't look like a buick skyhawk on the interior. I do understand that many luxury features add weight to the car which is not idealistic for a sports car, but jeez, offer something more for the money? A bigger engine size at least?


Second is audi. This is probably the worst of the two. At least porsches have very sporty, performance potential reputation which is what makes it cost so much, but audi? I was car shopping about 2 weeks ago and the audi a4 cabriolet is the crappiest car I've EVER seen. It costs 37,000+ msrp and that is without ANY luxury amenities. It doesn't even give leatherETTE seats! It comes standard with FABRIC seats! NOT ONE luxury feature period. The worst part? It has a TINY 1.8 liter engine with hardly any power. And like I said, unlike the porsche, audi isn't exactly a make that has a long glorious reputation of sportiness and performance to sell itself on. BIGGEST over-priced piece of junk ever!

Ok now in regards to the photos, doesn't audi or volkswagen rather own porsche?


Sorry I had to rant :\
Ok, the above is your initial post in this thread, you basically say that Porsche offer too smaller engines and no luxury extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
You just made about 10 different assumptions. I am only mentioning engine power because that's virtually ALL porsche offers. That is my argument. That's all it gives in my view, so if that's all it gives, why don't we at least get more of it for the price? You are making gigantic assumptions about my argument and I don't appreciate that. Read what I am saying entirely and take it for what it's worth, not for what can enhance your argument against me.

The problem with everyone's arguments is that you are basically approaching this with an "all-or-nothing" attitude. Parts of my arguments are entirely true as are parts of your counter-arguments. Yes it is true porsche has a strong heritage and high quality parts and exceptional performance, but it is also true it offers much less than almost all of the other cars in its class.

You can make a good argument for a corvette vs. porsche carrera4s cabriolet, but can you make that same argument for carrera4s vs. sl550? How about BMW 650i? I suppose they use crappy parts as well? Or perhaps it's the fact that those cars have no real reputation, right? Sorry but your argument is poor in that regard. Compared to the rest of the market, porsches give you short end of the stick. Isn't that what a real market is based on? Do you not know what something should be worth based on the prices of OTHER similar products? If there is no standard, how do you know what it's worth? By what the company tells you?

You are a true car appreciator. You appreciate reputation, performance, heritage and quality. I am a businessperson and a consumer. I see it from a different perspective.

That is essentially what this all boils down to is just a difference of perspective. If you guys can't expand your frame of perspective to understand what I am saying, then you are the narrow-minded ones...not me.

I do appreciate porsches for what they're worth, but I can't help but feel like there is more to be desired, from my perspective anyways.
Now, here is one of your recent posts in this thread. This might seem a little worthless to you, but why on earth would you, one minute say that Porsche dont exactly offer gigantic engines, and the next minute, say that power is about all that Porsche offers? surely the fact that Porsche offer alot of power, makes the fact that a massive engine doesn't really matter? It just seems like you've contradicted yourself a little, so really, it's YOU who needs to read what you've written....not us! The reason I've quoted all of the two posts, is so we can compare what you say....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #64
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
quick question, what do you have against maserati?
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #65
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
woho, whos got a problem with Maserati???
ive been having a quick glance at previous posts and i cant spot it, ive had a ride in a 4200GT and it was awsome, the owner sold it because it was getting expensive to run so he bought a Mitsu Galant VR4/6 V6 for 20,000
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #66
Newspeak
CF Enthusiast
 
Newspeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Well, I mean business competitors. I think it's safe to say that people who are looking to shop for 911s of any trim might also be looking at the sl or the 6series. The vehicles themselves do differ obviously...mainly because the sl and 6 series carry more weight and that makes them less responsive.

Anyone who has driven a porsche and an sl or 6 series can you post your thoughts? Does the porsche perform better and drive better? I would love to try a porsche. I was looking at the boxster but I wanted the tiptronic automatic transmission and it made it go slightly over my budget :$

Find me somebody who's truly serious about buying a Carrera or a Carrera owner who considers the 'competitiors' that you so name as alternatives...

Last edited by Newspeak : 07-08-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #67
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
i remember a top gear episode where they were taking a bmw 6, a porsche and something else round the moors in wales where they said the BMW 6 was the most responsive out of all of them (correct me if im wrong or off course a little)
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #68
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspeak
Find me somebody who's truly serious about buying a Carrera or a Carrera owner who considers the 'competitiors' that you so name as alternatives...

LOL. Yeah, because they aren't sports cars. They are luxury cars with big engines but not meant for performance right? ok then.


To cliffy: I didn't contradict myself. You interpreted my first post the wrong way. You assumed I was saying they give no power, and I didn't say that. I said they don't give enough for the money. My point was basically, if that is all I am getting, couldn't I at least get more for the money?

I in no way said porsches have small engines...they don't, but for the money, I'd like to expect a little more in that area, considering there isn't any luxury they are offering. Yes, even factoring in the heritage, reputation and quality of parts, I still think there is a gap that needs to be filled. That's my opinion :P
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:08 AM   #69
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
LOL. Yeah, because they aren't sports cars. They are luxury cars with big engines but not meant for performance right? ok then.

you cant say the BMW 6 isnt a performance car or the merc sl cos they are!!
i suppose the BMW M6 and the SL65 AMG are just "luxury" cars! i doubt it
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:02 AM   #70
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
hey buddy! maseratis? whats youre deal with those?


am i hard to see or something? or what?
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #71
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
hey buddy! maseratis? whats youre deal with those?


am i hard to see or something? or what?

whos got a problem with maserati's???
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #72
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
this bronxie character... he mentioned it a while ago, and i was trying to find out why, but i guess im invisible
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #73
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
To cliffy: I didn't contradict myself. You interpreted my first post the wrong way. You assumed I was saying they give no power, and I didn't say that. I said they don't give enough for the money. My point was basically, if that is all I am getting, couldn't I at least get more for the money?

I in no way said porsches have small engines...they don't, but for the money, I'd like to expect a little more in that area, considering there isn't any luxury they are offering. Yes, even factoring in the heritage, reputation and quality of parts, I still think there is a gap that needs to be filled. That's my opinion :P
It looked alot like a contradiction to me, maybe I just interpereted it wrong. The fact still remains though, that what has been stated here so far, from most of us, is true to life
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #74
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Aside from their Quattroporte, Maserati produces over weight, overpriced, ugly, average performing sports cars with terrible transmissions and no original identity.

The MC12 doesn't count.

All Maseratis should be given to the Devil, and burned in hell.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #75
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Aside from their Quattroporte, Maserati produces over weight, overpriced, ugly, average performing sports cars with terrible transmissions and no original identity.

The MC12 doesn't count.

All Maseratis should be given to the Devil, and burned in hell.
That's probably the most sensible thing I've seen you post, lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.