Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Please dont be what I think it is!!

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.
A few days ago, me, my husband, and our 7 yr old were driving along, and he (the husband) thought that it would be fun to go drive through this big puddle in the middle of a parking lot. So he does, and everyone laughed, and so he decides to do it again, this time backing up and hitting the puddle at about 50. Anyway, car stalls in the middle of the puddle (I made him get out and push us out) The puddle was about a foot or so deep, maybe a bit more. It will not start now, all that happens is the engine clicks. It doesnt even try to turn over. That was about 4 days ago and the same thing still happens. This is going to be expensive to fix, isnt it?

Thanks for your input.

Nova
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:41 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Hi, not nesecerilly expensive, it sounds to me like you just made the electrics pretty wet, I had the same thing happen to me a while ago (only I wasn't expecting the puddle!)..I could do with some more info, ie; make and model, year etc, but I'd without doubt just suggest that you take of the distributor cap and dry it out, also I'd dry the plug leads too..bassically, anything electrical meeds to be dried of!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-04-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Hi, not nesecerilly expensive, it sounds to me like you just made the electrics pretty wet, I had the same thing happen to me a while ago (only I wasn't expecting the puddle!)..I could do with some more info, ie; make and model, year etc, but I'd without doubt just suggest that you take of the distributor cap and dry it out, also I'd dry the plug leads too..bassically, anything electrical meeds to be dried of!

Hey,

Sorry, didnt realize that I didnt put that in. It is a 94 Nissan Altima. We got the car towed home and have left it sit for 4 days now. Shouldnt it be dry? I have been reading and have come across "hydrolock" which has frightened me a bit. I guess it what happens when you live with a 30 yr old child!
Old 04-04-2004, 01:55 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
Hey,

Sorry, didnt realize that I didnt put that in. It is a 94 Nissan Altima. We got the car towed home and have left it sit for 4 days now. Shouldnt it be dry? I have been reading and have come across "hydrolock" which has frightened me a bit. I guess it what happens when you live with a 30 yr old child!
lol...Hydrolock is more of an issue where water is able to enter the engine more redilly, the car you mention is fuel injected (Multi point) so it wont have a carb, if it did have a carb, water would be able to enter more freely ie; through the air filter box ect. I'm almost certain that your car wont have let any water in, however, if it still wont start I'd have it looked at by a Mechanic, the clicking you describe is more evident when the Started motor's inop, if the started motor got wet...like it tends to when you speed through a puddle I suggest making sure all the wires are dry...just dont touch the solenoid with anything metalic lol

Good luck

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
lol...Hydrolock is more of an issue where water is able to enter the engine more redilly, the car you mention is fuel injected (Multi point) so it wont have a carb, if it did have a carb, water would be able to enter more freely ie; through the air filter box ect. I'm almost certain that your car wont have let any water in, however, if it still wont start I'd have it looked at by a Mechanic, the clicking you describe is more evident when the Started motor's inop, if the started motor got wet...like it tends to when you speed through a puddle I suggest making sure all the wires are dry...just dont touch the solenoid with anything metalic lol

Good luck

Thank you very much. I was sooo scared about that. We are going to take it to a mechanic when the weekend is over if it still doesnt start, I just wanted to educate myself as not to get ripped off.

Thanks again for your help.

Nova

PS, this may sound stupid, but what is the solenoid?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:12 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

Good luck
Reality check on the information. A carbureted engine has an air filter assembly, a carb and an intake manifold. A fuel injected engine has an air filter assembly, a throttle body body and an intake manifold. How exactly is the throttle body going to stop water ingress if the carburetor won't? Not a very well thought out answer. On to the problem.

Quote:
Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.
A few days ago, me, my husband, and our 7 yr old were driving along, and he (the husband) thought that it would be fun to go drive through this big puddle in the middle of a parking lot. So he does, and everyone laughed, and so he decides to do it again, this time backing up and hitting the puddle at about 50. Anyway, car stalls in the middle of the puddle (I made him get out and push us out) The puddle was about a foot or so deep, maybe a bit more. It will not start now, all that happens is the engine clicks. It doesnt even try to turn over. That was about 4 days ago and the same thing still happens. This is going to be expensive to fix, isnt it?
Well I know from your description that the car has been driven through a puddle and now goes click. Because of the fact that it was run through what seem to be a fairly deep puddle, as Cliffy said it could be hydraulically locked. The first thing to do is use a socket and large ratchet to try and turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn, the next step is to remove the sparkplugs and try it again. If it's hydro locked this will push the water out of the cylinders. While you have the plugs out, go ahead and spin the engine over with the starter. Then put the plugs back in and start it up.

If the engine turns freely when you first try moving it with the ratchet, come back, let us know and we'll go to chapter two.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:15 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
PS, this may sound stupid, but what is the solenoid?
It's not a stupid question..infact I had the feeling you'd ask, the following link shows the exact workings of the starter motor in detail...Although the link isn't a specific starter motor one, it should help you no end! if ya need it simplified, just ask..hell, even I found that link hard to understand lol

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...attery1_od.htm

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-04-2004 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:22 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Reality check on the information. A carbureted engine has an air filter assembly, a carb and an intake manifold. A fuel injected engine has an air filter assembly, a throttle body body and an intake manifold. How exactly is the throttle body going to stop water ingress if the carburetor won't? Not a very well thought out answer. On to the problem.
Ok, I wont try to prove you wrong...cos you aint lol...I was just trying to point out that an older engine is a hell of a lot more likely to let water in than a newer engine...that's all

Old 04-04-2004, 02:43 AM   #9
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Well I know from your description that the car has been driven through a puddle and now goes click. Because of the fact that it was run through what seem to be a fairly deep puddle, as Cliffy said it could be hydraulically locked. The first thing to do is use a socket and large ratchet to try and turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn, the next step is to remove the sparkplugs and try it again. If it's hydro locked this will push the water out of the cylinders. While you have the plugs out, go ahead and spin the engine over with the starter. Then put the plugs back in and start it up.

If the engine turns freely when you first try moving it with the ratchet, come back, let us know and we'll go to chapter two.[/quote]

Well, I have let everything (the plugs and the distributer cap, wires etc) dry and it still wont start. Other then that, I dont think that I am going to try to fix it myself. It is not my car and I dont like "fixing" other peoples stuff when I dont really know what I am doing. But I wanted to be informed before I went to the mechanic. They have a really bad rep for ripping people off in this city. However, if there is something really simple I could do, I could give it a shot. I just dont want to triple the price of the mechanic, cause I tried to fix it myself.
-Nova
Old 04-04-2004, 02:54 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well, I have let everything (the plugs and the distributer cap, wires etc) dry and it still wont start. Other then that, I dont think that I am going to try to fix it myself. It is not my car and I dont like "fixing" other peoples stuff when I dont really know what I am doing. But I wanted to be informed before I went to the mechanic. They have a really bad rep for ripping people off in this city. However, if there is something really simple I could do, I could give it a shot. I just dont want to triple the price of the mechanic, cause I tried to fix it myself.
-Nova
At this point I'm not even sure what it is you want. Letting the car sit and dry won't get the water out of the combustion chambers, if that's even the problem. Fill a mayonaise jar half way with water, put the lid on tight and put it on your kitchen counter. How long will that take to dry out? It's the same thing.

I really sounds like you want someone to tell you what's wrong. Well I can't see or touch your car through my computer. Anything we say here is just an educated guess at best. You're not going to gain any knowledge here that will help you when dealing with the shop you take it to because we can only guess at what's wrong.

Bottom line is if you are unable or unwilling to repair your car then you have no choice but to take it to a shop and trust their judgement. And there is certainly nothing we can do to change that.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-04-2004, 03:21 AM   #11
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
At this point I'm not even sure what it is you want. Letting the car sit and dry won't get the water out of the combustion chambers, if that's even the problem. Fill a mayonaise jar half way with water, put the lid on tight and put it on your kitchen counter. How long will that take to dry out? It's the same thing.

Basically what I would like to know is, givin the info that I have given, what is your educated guess on the chances of it being hydrolocked? What I have read about it sounds scary. I am just pissed off at my husbands stupidity and would like to get an idea of how much this is going to cost to fix. BTW, there doesnt seem to be any water in the oil. I know that the severity of hydrolock, or rather the damage that it can cause varies, but I would like an idea.

-Nova
Old 04-04-2004, 03:31 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Basically what I would like to know is, givin the info that I have given, what is your educated guess on the chances of it being hydrolocked? What I have read about it sounds scary. I am just pissed off at my husbands stupidity and would like to get an idea of how much this is going to cost to fix. BTW, there doesnt seem to be any water in the oil. I know that the severity of hydrolock, or rather the damage that it can cause varies, but I would like an idea.

-Nova
The problem is there's too many ifs. Repairing a hydro lock can be as simple as pulling the plugs, cranking it over and putting them back in. Or a hydro lock can mean en entirely new engine. There are simply too many variables to make a good guess as you already know.
I will tell you this from experience. If it did in fact hydro lock while being driven through a puddle, expect the worst. Like in the neighborhood of $1500-$1800 parts and labor to install a used engine. It would have been cheaper to go to a water park.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:38 AM   #13
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
The problem is there's too many ifs. Repairing a hydro lock can be as simple as pulling the plugs, cranking it over and putting them back in. Or a hydro lock can mean en entirely new engine. There are simply too many variables to make a good guess as you already know.
I will tell you this from experience. If it did in fact hydro lock while being driven through a puddle, expect the worst. Like in the neighborhood of $1500-$1800 parts and labor to install a used engine. It would have been cheaper to go to a water park.

k, well, what are some telltale symptoms of hydrolock? The car stalled in the middle of the puddle and then just didnt start again. I will do what you suggested earlier. I think that I can figure out how to do that. As you can see, I am not a mechanic.

-nova

I REALLY hope that my husband has learned his lesson
Old 04-04-2004, 03:41 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
k, well, what are some telltale symptoms of hydrolock? The car stalled in the middle of the puddle and then just didnt start again. I will do what you suggested earlier. I think that I can figure out how to do that. As you can see, I am not a mechanic.

-nova

I REALLY hope that my husband has learned his lesson
The telltale symptom is the engine will not turn over, as in locked. And if he's 30 years old and pulled that stunt, my vote goes to 'not a chance'.

By the way. If he fubar'd the car, why are you doing all the work?

Old 04-04-2004, 03:55 AM   #15
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
The telltale symptom is the engine will not turn over, as in locked. And if he's 30 years old and pulled that stunt, my vote goes to 'not a chance'.

By the way. If he fubar'd the car, why are you doing all the work?

Hes actually 35. And this is not the first time that he has done something like this. And I am doing the work because I am the responsible one.

Would the engine even try to turn over, or would there be just nothing. Also, if it were the starter engine that shorted, which has been suggested to me, wouldnt push starting it work? (He tried that, and it didnt)

-Nova