Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
helpme
CF Newbie

Please help an old lady

Hi there, I really know close to nothing about cars and I was wondering if one of you nice gentlemen would help. It is currently -20 below (-40 with the wind chill) here in Wisconsin. When I go out to my car, 94 topaz, it just won't start. It sounds like it keeps cranking and once in a while it will start but will quit after five seconds. I can only stay out for about 4 min at a time as it gets too cold for my skin (you can throw a cup of water high in the air and by the time it hits the ground it shatters). Could it be something with my coolant? I looked real quick under the hood (I had no idea what I was doing) and I saw that the coolant reservoir was empty. I have never had this problem before but it rarely gets this cold. I know it won't start because of the cold but I really need to get to my daughters house tonight. Is there anything I can do or do to prevent this in the future? Thank you so very much!
helpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Friend of mine had a similar problem with his '96(?) Accord. Initially we thought it could possibly be a blocked fuel filter (btw...to change a fuel filter on that Accord is a serious PITA!!!) but turned out to be an ignition problem, I later found out.

Other than that...in my limited mechanical knowledge, I don't think it has anything to do with your coolant reservoir tank being low.

You'll have to wait for the Master Online Diagnostic Technician - vwhobo.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Sometimes the engine is just too cold to start. My sister's 1989 Dodge Daytona had the same problem and every once and a while, it wouldn't even start. I too live in Wisconsin and it is very cold out. I think the engine just might not be able to start when it's this cold. But like BW said, you'll just have to wait for VWhobo to get some help on all the different problems that could be going wrong. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

It was a 1995 Accord... (thanks for reminding me Satty)

I had posted it here at the time.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
SuperJew
I like pie.

beats me...we just keep our cars in the garage....

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
beats me...we just keep our cars in the garage....

with a Familly that has 5 cars (my familly) we don't have enough room. Sometimes, we have to park on the road.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:16 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpme
Hi there, I really know close to nothing about cars and I was wondering if one of you nice gentlemen would help. It is currently -20 below (-40 with the wind chill) here in Wisconsin. When I go out to my car, 94 topaz, it just won't start. It sounds like it keeps cranking and once in a while it will start but will quit after five seconds. I can only stay out for about 4 min at a time as it gets too cold for my skin (you can throw a cup of water high in the air and by the time it hits the ground it shatters). Could it be something with my coolant? I looked real quick under the hood (I had no idea what I was doing) and I saw that the coolant reservoir was empty. I have never had this problem before but it rarely gets this cold. I know it won't start because of the cold but I really need to get to my daughters house tonight. Is there anything I can do or do to prevent this in the future? Thank you so very much!
All of the nice gentlemen have left the building, so it looks like you're stuck with me. There are a number of things that could keep a car from starting in cold weather such as you describe. However the fact that it will occasionally start, run for a few seconds, then quit, point me in a fairly specific direction.

My educated guess, based on your description, is that the gasoline has moisture in it. Of course at 20 below zero that water, which is everywhere the gas is, is frozen solid. That means in the tank, pump, lines, fuel filter and injectors. A common problem at very low temps, this allows a small amount of gas to be injected into the engine, sometimes enough to run for a short period.

How do you fix it? The hard way is to disconnect everything and get rid of all of the old gas and water. The easy way is to wait until the temperature warms up and the ice melts. How do you prevent this? First, keep your gas tank as full as possible all year long, the less empty space the less chance for condensation. Second, only buy gas from a place with fast moving pumps, usually being the cheapest place in town. Third, every three months add a bottle of gas dryer to a full tank of gas. This absorbs the moisture and allows it to mix with the gas so it goes right out the tail pipe.

Finally, I'm diagnosing this from about 1,000 miles away, so please don't expect this to be an absolute diagnosis. For that you need to find a local ASE certified technician. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #8
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
with a Familly that has 5 cars (my familly) we don't have enough room. Sometimes, we have to park on the road.

yeah we have 5 cars too...although two are in storage during the cold days and the one outside is like never driven

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:46 AM   #9
Hiens
CF Newbie

Get a heater for the engine. If you can't get one in Wisconson, go to canada of get one sent to you. Just make shure your'e close to an outlet. Works in Quebec.

Happy? No.

Last edited by Hiens : 04-08-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Hiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:39 AM   #10
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

You folks in Wisconsin and Canada make me glad we dont have to cope with starting cars in the cold. In the Southeastern US, we just deal with heat
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote