Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 04:03 AM   #16
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
Hes actually 35. And this is not the first time that he has done something like this. And I am doing the work because I am the responsible one.

Would the engine even try to turn over, or would there be just nothing. Also, if it were the starter engine that shorted, which has been suggested to me, wouldnt push starting it work? (He tried that, and it didnt)

-Nova
That's why you have to diagnose in a logical order. If it's not the starter and it's hydro locked you'll do more damage by trying to push start it. That's why I told you the first thing to do is check to see if the engine turns over by hand. I was working on the assumption your car was an automatic. I had to assume because you didn't tell us. That doesn't matter, don't push start until you know for sure the engine isn't locked.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:13 AM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
I bet people in Moosejaw can hear the argument that's taking place right now.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:29 AM   #18
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
That's why you have to diagnose in a logical order. If it's not the starter and it's hydro locked you'll do more damage by trying to push start it. That's why I told you the first thing to do is check to see if the engine turns over by hand. I was working on the assumption your car was an automatic. I had to assume because you didn't tell us. That doesn't matter, don't push start until you know for sure the engine isn't locked.


ok, well, I found some info on how to remove spark plugs, and it seems pretty simple, I think that I can do that. How exactly do you turn the engine over manually?

By the way, I really apreciate this, I know that I am frusterating the hell out of you.

So....try to turn it over manually, if it doesnt work, remove spark plugs and try again, turn starter with plugs removed to push water out of cylinders. Put spark plugs back in and pray????

-Nova
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:34 AM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
ok, well, I found some info on how to remove spark plugs, and it seems pretty simple, I think that I can do that. How exactly do you turn the engine over manually?

By the way, I really apreciate this, I know that I am frusterating the hell out of you.

So....try to turn it over manually, if it doesnt work, remove spark plugs and try again, turn starter with plugs removed to push water out of cylinders. Put spark plugs back in and pray????

-Nova
Find the crankshaft pulley. The bolt that holds it on has a 22mm (7/8" will work) head if memory serves. The easiest (only) way to turn it over is with a large ratchet or breaker bar and socket. You'll probably need the right front corner of the car jacked up to do this and also remove the splash shield.

Bingo on everything else.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:46 AM   #20
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Find the crankshaft pulley. The bolt that holds it on has a 22mm (7/8" will work) head if memory serves. The easiest (only) way to turn it over is with a large ratchet or breaker bar and socket. You'll probably need the right front corner of the car jacked up to do this and also remove the splash shield.

Bingo on everything else.


ok, thank you. I apreciate your help and I hope that it works. Otherwise, off to the mechanics. I think that hubby can sleep in the f**king car for a few nights.
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:31 PM   #21
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
Sounds like hubby is going to need an operation - the kind where he has to go to a hospital and have someone's boot surgically removed from his hind parts.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #22
karburator
CF Spain HQ
 
karburator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 171
Definitely, people has very strange habits
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2280

At least present case doesn't look so serious as the one I linked.
__________________
Ciao!!
>Supported by Happy Modem

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:18 PM   #23
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Arrrghhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Find the crankshaft pulley. The bolt that holds it on has a 22mm (7/8" will work) head if memory serves. The easiest (only) way to turn it over is with a large ratchet or breaker bar and socket. You'll probably need the right front corner of the car jacked up to do this and also remove the splash shield.

Bingo on everything else.


Alright, I did all that. I took the spark plugs out, only when I took the boots off, the plugs were about 8 inches down these little holes. So when I turned the engine over with the ratchet, about an eighth of an inch of water is sitting there now. So what I did was put a peice of paper towel over the holes so crap doesnt fall down in there and am letting it evaporate. I cant think of any other way to soak it up. I also took the filter out, and it is SOAKED. So that is drying too.

Will the spark plugs need to be replaced? How can you tell when they are shot? They were damp when I took them out.

I am getting really frusterated. Thanks for your help.

-Nova
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #24
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
Alright, I did all that. I took the spark plugs out, only when I took the boots off, the plugs were about 8 inches down these little holes. So when I turned the engine over with the ratchet, about an eighth of an inch of water is sitting there now. So what I did was put a peice of paper towel over the holes so crap doesnt fall down in there and am letting it evaporate. I cant think of any other way to soak it up. I also took the filter out, and it is SOAKED. So that is drying too.

Will the spark plugs need to be replaced? How can you tell when they are shot? They were damp when I took them out.

I am getting really frusterated. Thanks for your help.

-Nova
So far, so good. If the engine is turning over by hand go ahead and crank it over with the starter. No need to go nuts, just two or three 5 second cranks will do the trick.

As for the sparkplugs, for what they cost go ahead and replace them. While you're at it replace the air filter too. Total cost maybe $15. Put it all back together, yell contact and crank it up. The first start will probably be pretty tough. Keep your ears tuned in for any unusual and expensive noises. Once it starts if everything sounds okay, let it warm up and you should be good to go.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:30 PM   #25
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
So far, so good. If the engine is turning over by hand go ahead and crank it over with the starter. No need to go nuts, just two or three 5 second cranks will do the trick.

As for the sparkplugs, for what they cost go ahead and replace them. While you're at it replace the air filter too. Total cost maybe $15. Put it all back together, yell contact and crank it up. The first start will probably be pretty tough. Keep your ears tuned in for any unusual and expensive noises. Once it starts if everything sounds okay, let it warm up and you should be good to go.

yeah, when I tried that, with the starter, it still made the same sound. The clicking sound. Its the initial sound that the car makes when you start it (if everything were healthy) but then there is nothing.
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:39 PM   #26
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
yeah, when I tried that, with the starter, it still made the same sound. The clicking sound. Its the initial sound that the car makes when you start it (if everything were healthy) but then there is nothing.
So it has trouble turning over? this may sound silly but, is the battery charged?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 AM   #27
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
So it has trouble turning over? this may sound silly but, is the battery charged?

I hooked up a charger to it and it said that it was good. Plus all the interior lights come on and the stereo still plays.
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 AM   #28
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
Since we can crank the engine by hand, its time to chase down the electrical gremlins.

Begin with what Cliffy said first - check and see if the battery has a full charge. Little other trouble shooting of electrical issues can be done without the battery being charged. Once the battery is charged, there are a couple of checks you can make to determine if the solenoid needs to be replaced of if the starter is bad. In the US, a starter solenoid for a 1994 Altima is about $40, a starter is about $130 plus installation if someone else does the work
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:54 AM   #29
Novaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Since we can crank the engine by hand, its time to chase down the electrical gremlins.

Begin with what Cliffy said first - check and see if the battery has a full charge. Little other trouble shooting of electrical issues can be done without the battery being charged. Once the battery is charged, there are a couple of checks you can make to determine if the solenoid needs to be replaced of if the starter is bad. In the US, a starter solenoid for a 1994 Altima is about $40, a starter is about $130 plus installation if someone else does the work

This may sound like a stupid question, but I am pretty sure that I turned the bolt attatched to the crankshaft pulley, but how can I identify it for sure?
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:24 AM   #30
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
If my daughter had my 1999 Altima here, I would take a digital picture and show you. Since is still away where she attends school, I'll try to describe it the best I can.

Looking on the passenger side into the engine compartment, the crankshaft pulley is the large one immediately to the left of the air conditioning compressor. The crankshaft pulley will be driving two belts (the ac compressor and the alternator/water pump) The bolt on this pulley is the one vwhobo asked you to turn with the plugs out to ensure you have no water inside the engine

You may have to access this from behind the passenger front tire if you cant reach it from the top. This side of the Altys gets kind of crowded

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 04-06-2004 at 02:31 AM.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.