Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 02:38 AM   #31
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
If my daughter had my 1999 Altima here, I would take a digital picture and show you. Since is still away where she attends school, I'll try to describe it the best I can.

Looking on the passenger side into the engine compartment, the crankshaft pulley is the large one immediately to the left of the air conditioning compressor. The crankshaft pulley will be driving two belts (the ac compressor and the alternator/water pump) The bolt on this pulley is the one vwhobo asked you to turn with the plugs out to ensure you have no water inside the engine

You may have to access this from behind the passenger front tire if you cant reach it from the top. This side of the Altys gets kind of crowded

ok, im almost positive that is the one that I turned. something in the altinator was spinning as I turned it, does that sound right?
Novaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 AM   #32
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
ok, im almost positive that is the one that I turned. something in the altinator was spinning as I turned it, does that sound right?
How do you mean something was spinning? the Auxillary drive belt is connected to the AC compressor and Alternator, so the altenator pulley should move too, unless the belt is extreamly loose

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:51 AM   #33
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
How do you mean something was spinning? the Auxillary drive belt is connected to the AC compressor and Alternator, so the altenator pulley should move too, unless the belt is extreamly loose

No, nothing is loose,

OK, I know I am an idiot, let me try and explain this......

The thing that the bolt that I was turning is connected to?? Inside the slots that are in it I could see something spinning (turning) as i turned the bolt.

Im sorry that I cant explain in with the proper terms.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 AM   #34
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
No, nothing is loose,

The thing that the bolt that I was turning is connected to?? Inside the slots that are in it I could see something spinning (turning) as i turned the bolt.

Did it look something like this?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:01 AM   #35
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
No, nothing is loose,

Do you mean you can see something spinning behind the Crankshaft pulley? If so....you shouldn't do, the only thing turning, other than the alternator etc, is the engine

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 AM   #36
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Did it look something like this?

Yeah, and on the other (right) side of it was a box type thing with slots in it, and through the slots I saw something turning.

-Nova
Old 04-06-2004, 04:05 AM   #37
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Yeah, and on the other (right) side of it was a box type thing with slots in it, and through the slots I saw something turning.

-Nova

I THOUGHT that it was the alternator, but i could be wrong.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:09 AM   #38
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

-Nova
If you are turning the crankshaft, the belts should be driving four accessories. One belt should be turning the water pump, power steering and alternator. The other should be turning the A/C compressor and also be routed over an idler pulley. Does that sound right?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-06-2004, 04:13 AM   #39
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
If you are turning the crankshaft, the belts should be driving four accessories. One belt should be turning the water pump, power steering and alternator. The other should be turning the A/C compressor and also be routed over an idler pulley. Does that sound right?

well, the disk that I was turning had a belt around it, but it was just sliding, the belt wasnt turning with the disk.

But there is water in the spark plug holes now, so I assumed that I was turning the right thing. I think what I will do tomorrow is put a dowel down the hole and see if it moves up or down while I turn the bolt. Sound good? That will work right?

-Nova
Old 04-06-2004, 04:17 AM   #40
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well, the disk that I was turning had a belt around it, but it was just sliding, the belt wasnt turning with the disk.

But there is water in the spark plug holes now, so I assumed that I was turning the right thing. I think what I will do tomorrow is put a dowel down the hole and see if it moves up or down while I turn the bolt. Sound good? That will work right?

-Nova
You have to slow down and stop getting ahead of yourself. If you want to take this one step at a time , great. If not that's okay with me.

When you turn what you believe to be the crankshaft A) how much effort does it take, and B) how many other pulleys are the belts moving?

Old 04-06-2004, 04:24 AM   #41
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
You have to slow down and stop getting ahead of yourself. If you want to take this one step at a time , great. If not that's okay with me.

When you turn what you believe to be the crankshaft A) how much effort does it take, and B) how many other pulleys are the belts moving?

It takes a decent amount of effort, but not excessive. Keep in mind that I am a girl Its in a pretty tight spot too, so I can olny move it about an inch or two at a time.

I am at work right now and I honestly couldnt tell you with certainty how many other pulleys it moved, but if memory serves the pully that was wrapped around it didnt move, it just slid when I turned the disk.

-Nova
Old 04-06-2004, 04:28 AM   #42
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
It takes a decent amount of effort, but not excessive. Keep in mind that I am a girl Its in a pretty tight spot too, so I can olny move it about an inch or two at a time.

I am at work right now and I honestly couldnt tell you with certainty how many other pulleys it moved, but if memory serves the pully that was wrapped around it didnt move, it just slid when I turned the disk.

-Nova
At this point I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. What you're saying just doesn't make sense. I think it might be time to call in someone who can actually see the car.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:38 AM   #43
Novaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:

-Nova

Im sorry, i meant the BELT that was wrapped around it, not the pulley.

I apologize. I know that I am frusterating you.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:23 PM   #44
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Im sorry, i meant the BELT that was wrapped around it, not the pulley.

I apologize. I know that I am frusterating you.

You're doing pretty good, Novaleigh!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 AM   #45
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Youre doing OK. Did the thing which turned but the belts slipped have two belts on it? If it did, you probably turned the crankshaft pulley. To help you locate parts All of these devices has one pulley and are driven by the same belt

Alternator - top of engine on near front end of car, passenger side. a cylinder shaped thing with one large wire and several small wires hooked to it

Water pump - immediately below alternator - has a large (approx 2 inch dia) hose attached to it

Power steering pump - next to fire wall about 1/3 way down under engine under a bunch of aluminum pipes (intake manifold)

Driven by the other belt, one pulley per device

Air Conditioning Comperssor - about same size as alternator except has a couple of 3/4 or 1 inch hoses - easier seen from under the car

The only pulley left is the crankshaft pulley - it has two belts.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote