Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
shmelnm
CF Newbie

95 accord oil light flashes

118K on 1995 Honda, Auto trans. After going a while down the road the oil light starts to flash. I pull over, turn off motor and restart. No more light most of the time I drive that trip or every now and then it will do it a second time during that trip. Trips are rarely less than 5 miles or more than 25 miles in one direction. I took it to local auto shop and they did oil pressure check (said pressure was with in specs - did not say what the numerical value was) and replaced oil sending unit. Went 700 - 800 miles with no light flashing and now it has started again. Always religiously changed oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals. Motor only required 2 times in its history me to add an extra quart between changing’s.

Suggestions? Oil Pump? Gunk in bottom of oil pan partially blocking oil pump inlet? I need some expert advice before trusting to go to shop/s again and just spending foolishly. I am ok with turning wrenches (big job - but I could replace oil pump) not good with digital meters.
shmelnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmelnm
118K on 1995 Honda, Auto trans. After going a while down the road the oil light starts to flash. I pull over, turn off motor and restart. No more light most of the time I drive that trip or every now and then it will do it a second time during that trip. Trips are rarely less than 5 miles or more than 25 miles in one direction. I took it to local auto shop and they did oil pressure check (said pressure was with in specs - did not say what the numerical value was) and replaced oil sending unit. Went 700 - 800 miles with no light flashing and now it has started again. Always religiously changed oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals. Motor only required 2 times in its history me to add an extra quart between changing’s.

Suggestions? Oil Pump? Gunk in bottom of oil pan partially blocking oil pump inlet? I need some expert advice before trusting to go to shop/s again and just spending foolishly. I am ok with turning wrenches (big job - but I could replace oil pump) not good with digital meters.

You could hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge so you can see if the actual pressure changes with flashing of the light. That way you will know if it is electrical or mechanical problem,and what amount of pressure you have..
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
shmelnm
CF Newbie

re:95 accord oil light flashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
normally, if the oil has been changed occasionally, there won't be too much sludge in the bottom of the pan to clog the pick-up screen

if the oil pressure was in specs, get a wiring diagram and verify the wiring integrity between the sending unit and the dash

Does the owners book call for 5W20 / 0W20 on your 1995 Honda or can you use 5W30 or 10W30 instead?

thanks for quick response: I ordered a wiring diagram this morning off the net so I will check out wiring run when I get it. Don't know what I'll do once wiring disappears into never never land under the dash or into a harness.

Been using 5W30 religously which is what the manual recommends.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
shmelnm
CF Newbie

re:95 accord oil light flashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
You could hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge so you can see if the actual pressure changes with flashing of the light. That way you will know if it is electrical or mechanical problem,and what amount of pressure you have..

Can someone give me instructions on how I would go about adding the gauge?