Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Just because I'm female doesn't mean I'm stupid

Here's a rant for you:

I'm STILL trying to get my car to pass emissions. That's right, it's been over a year and they still can't tell me why it's throwing the EVAP small leak code. My car has now been in and out of the shop 8 times in the past 2 months alone (I can't remember how many times in the past year its been in the shop to investigate) trying to work out this "small leak". Where's the leak? They still can't tell me.

So far he's done hmm, around 15 diagnostic tests on my car over the past year. He's performed a smoke test (negative for leaks), a supposed visual test (which now I highly doubt, replaced the gas cap, and most recently replaced the leak detection pump (because that's what the book says). Guess what? The code is still popping up.

Last week, I took the car back to him after the code reappeared. At this point, he's tired of seeing me. Hey dude, it's not my fault! I'd rather NOT throw parts at my car hoping to fix the problem. That's why I brought it to you in the first place! I digress. I took the car in that morning before work.

By 3:30 in the afternoon, I still haven't heard anything so I call. I ask for John, the mechanic. He gets on the phone and tells me it's ready to go. I ask him what was wrong with it. He tells me it was the gas cap. He says, "Well, looks like you didn't tighten it all the way. We had to turn it a full turn. You should be good to go." Hmm, "John, there is no way it is the gas cap. We've been down this road already. YOU already replaced the gas cap. I know it was on there tight enough. I'm anal about things like that." He's adamant it's the gas cap still.

I ask what code it was throwing. He says P0442, small leak. I said hmm, funny. That's the same code it's been throwing for a year now. He begins to fight with me at this point over what code it's been throwing. Hello, I think I know seeing as I've brought the car to you for the same problem for the past year now. He continues to try and tell me it was only throwing a leak detection pump code. I laughed at him and said, "it was throwing that P1 code WITH the P0442 code. This is NOT a new problem, it's the existing problem or did you forget?" He's still insistent that this small leak code is a new code (I think it has a little something to do with the fact he was adamant the leak detection pump was causing that small leak code less than a month ago). "Fine. I'll just be back in a week when my code reappears." Click.

Ok. I go there to pick it up. The tech, J.T. says it was the gas cap. I say, "Interesting. So tell me J.T., exactly how tight do you need to get the gas cap on there? I turn it until it clicks 15 times every time (I'm OCD about crap like that). I know it was on there tight enough." He looks at me dumbfounded. He says, "Umm, let me go ask John." John is hiding in the office somewhere out of sight. I wonder why.

At this point, I'm rather worried that a tech has to go ASK someone about tightening a gas cap. One of the other techs says hi to me from inside the garage and asks what I'm doing there. I answer, "My engine light is back on and they're telling me it's the gas cap. J.T. just went to ask John how tight it has to be." The other tech is laughing now. I say, "Its ok, if they really want to give me this diagnosis as the problem, all it means is I'll be back next week when yet again, my light comes on."

J.T. returns and says, "Well you tighten it until it clicks. You can turn it after that all you want, but it won't ever get any tighter." Really. So, I play the smartass card at this point. "Well, can you show me exactly how to do this? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong." He proceeds to unscrew my gas cap and put it back on. Click, click, and click. "There you go ma'am." I'm seriously trying not to go Kill Bill on these guys at this point. To further my point, I ask him about their using OE parts. I explain that I had taken the car to a different shop and they told me they didn't think the gas cap was an OE part. They had never seen an OE gas cap that was red. He looks at me (again dumbfounded) and says, "What’s OE?" I thanked him for his time and took my keys at this point.

Needless to say, one week later, my check engine light is again illuminated. My old friend how I miss you so. I've become so irate at this point; I'm actually going to take it to the dealer to get diagnosed. So gentlemen, be thankful that people don't actually talk to you like this when you take your car in to be worked on. I think for future issues, it is time for me to expand my car knowledge and learn how to do emission repairs.

Last edited by 97Talonchik : 06-09-2006 at 05:05 AM.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Not sure if it is because you're a girl...your mechanic just sounds like a dumbass.

Hope you find out where the leak is.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Maybe you didn't tighten the gas cap all the way. Make sure you do it till it clicks. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
CarNewb
CF Newbie

Unhappy

why go back to the same shop over, and over again for a year plus, if nothing was getting done? (I'm nice) Why go to a dealer, are there no other shops in your area? I hope you get the issue solved.

EDIT: This is a bit unlawful, but have you thought of getting the car registered at a different county etcetra, that doesn't require an e-check? Any family friends etc, that would help you pull this off?

Last edited by CarNewb : 06-09-2006 at 07:24 AM.
CarNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

... don't worry your pretty little head about it. Just let the men sort it out.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

double post

Last edited by Wally : 06-09-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You

An enjoyable narrative there 97Talonchik. I have only two things to suggest:

1) get more assertive, by demanding to contact the owner/director of the business to lay a formal complaint;

2) the sentence containing this passage: 'He continues to try and tell me i' should have the and substituted with a 'to', because try and suggests an outcome.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Lizard King 6B
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
He looks at me (again dumbfounded) and says, "What’s OE?"

Never go back there!
kill today because they pissed me off.
Lizard King 6B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Those Mechanics sound like a couple of half wits lol.....I sa y take the car to a Garage that knows what they're doing!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated

The only things I have paid for to them were the gas cap, the diagnostic (initial) and the labor for the part (LDP). The other work post that was free.

Matthew, you didn't read my post did you.

CarNewb: At this point, I'm thoroughly frustrated with the idiocy of this place. Yes, there are other repair shops here but the situation is that it is an EVAP problem. Chrysler has a unique evap system and logically, to get the job done right, they would be the best one to take it to. I have taken it to another shop and guess what they told me (Let's change out the gas cap). Obviously I'm either invisible or they don't listen to a word I say. This is also after I provided them with the TSB regarding the DTC P0442 and the misdiagnosis of LDP.

Wally, do you have my marbles?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
The only things I have paid for to them were the gas cap, the diagnostic (initial) and the labor for the part (LDP). The other work post that was free.

Matthew, you didn't read my post did you.

CarNewb: At this point, I'm thoroughly frustrated with the idiocy of this place. Yes, there are other repair shops here but the situation is that it is an EVAP problem. Chrysler has a unique evap system and logically, to get the job done right, they would be the best one to take it to. I have taken it to another shop and guess what they told me (Let's change out the gas cap). Obviously I'm either invisible or they don't listen to a word I say. This is also after I provided them with the TSB regarding the DTC P0442 and the misdiagnosis of LDP.

Wally, do you have my marbles?
I think Mathew was just kidding lol...kinda hard to tell though.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

A pocketful, last count .... even some Black Mariahs.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
xkizdit
CF Newbie

confused

Now is it that your throwing a gas leak code, or is it that your engine light comes on, cuz,

a.) depending on your mileage , most car makes throw a "service engine" light after 150k.

b.) the only other logical explanation for a gas leak, besides the frickin cap(which would be the last place i checked), is through the lines, ither in the connect up somwhere or, the actual line.. or tank... not exactly rocket science.

C.) The shop techs/manager... sound like a bunch of retards.
especially seeing as the only problem they should have this difficult, is a problem that is electronical.

d) possibly i've completely mis-understood your post..

hope u fix it...

~kizdit
xkizdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #14
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Get in the goddamn kitchen and make me a goddamn pie woman!

And Dont burn it like you did last time.

And go get the baby! Its fucking crying! Cant you hear? Jesus christ...I can't be expected to help it, can't you see I'm tightening your gas cap?

Im doing it for you, you ungrateful hooker! Now go make that god damn pie!

Jesus, im over here working on YOUR car so YOU can get around and chat with your friends about vacuums or whatever the hell you women talk about and you cant even make a damn decent pie for your hard working man.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #15
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

And dont forget the baby!