Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
jshi21
CF Newbie

I'm a neophyte. Desperately need help.

What is the best type of new truck out there that is at or less than $17,000?

Also when is the best time to buy? I live in Alabama, but am willin to go to the Atlanta, Georgia area to buy the car.

Thanks
jshi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
philo
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshi21
What is the best type of new truck out there that is at or less than $17,000?

Also when is the best time to buy? I live in Alabama, but am willin to go to the Atlanta, Georgia area to buy the car.

Thanks

You are probably limiting yourself to a 2WD truck by the price you are willing to pay. The first thing to do: Make a list of what you want out of your truck. Things like:

What are you going to do with the truck, what are you going to carry in it, how many people will be riding in it, are there brands you would not want to buy, what options do you want, do you want power or mileage. Then find several trucks that meet your needs and go drive them. The right one will float to the top.

You will find that a 2006 truck will have a much better price one day after the 2007 trucks come out. It will still be new, but you will save some good cash. I have done this for the last two trucks, and have saved $1500 and $2000. I actually got a 2004 Colorado the day after the 2005 came out, and with the discounts they had, paid less than I did for my 1994 S10 that I bought one day after the 1995 came out.
philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
jshi21
CF Newbie

This is the truck

Looking for a truck with good resale value, good milage (I'll be driving it in the city), two seats is all I need, and I won't be carrying anything real big in the truck.

So what is the best type of truck out there?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Looking for a truck with good resale value, good milage (I'll be driving it in the city), two seats is all I need, and I won't be carrying anything real big in the truck.

So what is the best type of truck out there?

If you aren't gonna do any haulin', a Toyota Tundra is probably what you should be lookin at.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
jshi21
CF Newbie

I currently have a toyota Camery, but it always breaks down, so I'm vearing away from Toyotas. Any otehr type of truck equally as good?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #6
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
I currently have a toyota Camery, but it always breaks down, so I'm vearing away from Toyotas. Any otehr type of truck equally as good?
Wow a Toyota that breaks down.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
jshi21
CF Newbie

Yeah, all the time. The blinker blinks too fast on humid days and the brakes are loose and one time the acceleration pedal didn't work. Any suggestions on the best type of truck to buy (besides toyota)?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #8
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Personally I like Dodge trucks. As much as Daniel rags the hell out of Big Sexy, she's never broken down, gotten stuck in the mud, or had any malfuctions.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
So what you're saying is you think Toyota trucks are crappy so you don't want a Toyota, but you do want something equally as crappy?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:35 AM   #10
stevenbob0
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
So what you're saying is you think Toyota trucks are crappy so you don't want a Toyota, but you do want something equally as crappy?

LOL I totally agree
stevenbob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
jshi21
CF Newbie

Okay, let me change that. Is there any truck better than a toyota, but at the same price?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:15 AM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

The problems you stated with your Camry are minor compared to problems youd probably see in another car in its class from another company. Toyota is currently the top car maker in the world. They are known for their reliability and quality.

Honda's truck is way to expensive and has a bad bed. Dodges only truck near your price range is the Dakota at $19k, and its not that great. I wouldn't get a Dodge truck unless it was the Ram. You'd probably do right by the Chevy Silverado. Its a solid truck at a good price. Don't go for the Colorado, even though its cheaper. The Ford Ranger is in your price range, but its their base truck like the Dakota and the Colorado is to their respective companies. Base models are base models for a reason. The F-150 is $19k, and its a stellar truck. I would say it the best in its class.

So if you're gonna go against my advice of the Toyota, get the Silverado. Or shell out the extra 2k and get the F-150.