Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
DevilsAdvocate
CF Newbie

Question Motorist Newbie

Alright, I'm completly new with cars. I just started likin them like the past month. I want to learn about them, how they work, how to repair, how to supe up, etc. Any suggestions on how to learn? Links would be good if there are any sites that could help me, that are specifically for learning about cars. Thanks for the help
Old 06-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
Benson
seeking snappy title.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

First get to know how the engine works and become familiar with different parts are their functions.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
DevilsAdvocate
CF Newbie

Uh.... it brought up a bunch of articles on all these parts that i dont know about. I dont even know what an engine really does, thats how big of a newb I am. How did you guys learn?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate
Uh.... it brought up a bunch of articles on all these parts that i dont know about. I dont even know what an engine really does, thats how big of a newb I am. How did you guys learn?
Nothing beats practical experience...But check this for how they work too. It gives a pretty good explanation. I learned from a book called "How Cars Work" by Tom Newton, it keeps it simple and has lots of pictures lol.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
DevilsAdvocate
CF Newbie

hmm, experience, i was afraid of that. That is the way i learned how to build computers, program, repair, etc.. was by experience. BUT, i dont want to buy a 7k car, and tear the heck out of it, not know how to put it back together, and screw things up just to learn stuff. plus i dont have any cars laying around that i could do that too. Suggestions on where i could go to learn?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate
hmm, experience, i was afraid of that. That is the way i learned how to build computers, program, repair, etc.. was by experience. BUT, i dont want to buy a 7k car, and tear the heck out of it, not know how to put it back together, and screw things up just to learn stuff. plus i dont have any cars laying around that i could do that too. Suggestions on where i could go to learn?
Look around your neighbourhood, I'll bet that within 5 miles of your house there are people that are willing to either give you a car for free or even help you tow it. Buy the Haynes Manual for the car and it explains how to do everything.