Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #1
mherchel
CF Newbie

My first classic: Should I buy this car (’65 Galaxie @$5,500)?

Hi,
I’m looking for opinions on buying this car. Keep in mind that I’ve never owned a ‘classic’ car, so this is kind of new to me.

You can check out pics of it at
http://herchel.com/galaxie

Here are the gory details:

1965 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible. Original 352 rebuilt. Runs like a champ. No leaks. New radiator, water pump, master cylinder, hoses and belts. New top. New red vinyl interior. There are 110,000 miles on the car.

Things the car needs:

The turn signal flasher needs to be replaced
Windshield washer doesn't work
Cigarette lighter recently stopped working
Stereo has a short in the right channel
Weather stripping on both rear windows (doesn't leak very much)
In order to start, you must hold the shifter in "park"

mherchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
tbirb
CF Newbie

for 5500, I would just for the body. Looking at the pics the body seems to be sound and the few minor problems I saw can be easily repaired.

Last edited by tbirb : 04-02-2004 at 10:51 PM.
tbirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
tbirb
CF Newbie

for 5500, I would just for the body. Looking at the pics the body seems to be sound and the few minor problems I saw can be easily repaired. A complete rebuild would be a good idea anyway, from the looks of the motors exterior.
tbirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
1965 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible. Original 352 rebuilt. Runs like a champ. No leaks. New radiator, water pump, master cylinder, hoses and belts. New top. New red vinyl interior. There are 110,000 miles on the car.

Things the car needs:

The turn signal flasher needs to be replaced
Windshield washer doesn't work
Cigarette lighter recently stopped working
Stereo has a short in the right channel
Weather stripping on both rear windows (doesn't leak very much)
In order to start, you must hold the shifter in "park"

the thing to remember with cars like this. That stuff that needs fixing or replacing is extremely simple to work on. the turn signal flasher is, what, $2? And takes 10 seconds to get to and replace. Mosts tuff will be only slightly harder. it's a great kind of car for the beginner to learn how to work on systems.

All parts are availbale for it, relatively cheaply. You can replace all front end suspension bushings and ball joints for dirt cheap when it needs them. brakes are nothing. The engine and the engine management systems are as basic as it gets. Even the sutomatic trans is cheap to work on. So in the future, maintenance will be easier and cheaper than on a newer car. And if you maintain it even halfway decently, you won't lose money on it. No depreciation like a newer car.

What you have to ask yourself, is it the kind of car you can visualize yourself driving? Can you put up with it not being as quiet or as comfortable as a newer car?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
mherchel
CF Newbie

Thanks, I appreciate the replies.

I'm going to look at the car this morning, so hopefully it'll go well. As it stands, this will probably be my second transportation (Right now, I soley ride a motorcycle).

So, if I have to spend a weekend working on it, its not a big deal, as long as I can do the work.

Do you guys think the price is reasonable? He's asking $5500. I assume I can talk him down to $5000

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2004, 02:19 AM   #6
mherchel
CF Newbie

eh.. i didn't buy it. The transmission slipped while driving, so I figured this car would be more of a pain.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherchel
eh.. i didn't buy it. The transmission slipped while driving, so I figured this car would be more of a pain.

Thanks

American automatic transmissions of the day are easy and relatively inexpensive to deal with. That one would have been either a C4 or a C6. Dude, you could have replaced the trans for under $200 with a good used one. Or got a $60 seal kit and a Motor's Manual and done it yourself. (it would have taken more time, but it would be a good way to learn. One of my first ever automotive repair jobs was rebuilding the C6 auto trans in my Torino when I was 17. Cost me $50 and a weekend, but it went from slipping badly to being pretty strong behind the 429). And you can even buy a complete racing trans of either for under $600...

The price was rather good for that car. And it would have been perfect for you to learn car systems on by working on it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote