Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
thisisbrianly
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
How much should it cost to replace a drivebelt?

Hey guys,

Just wondering how much i should expect to pay to replace the drivebelt on my 94 geo prizm. I know its an easy job, but I'm not fully confident in my abilities yet and I know that belt controls a LOT of important functions. So how much should i expect to pay to replace that?

Thanks
thisisbrianly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbrianly
Hey guys,

Just wondering how much i should expect to pay to replace the drivebelt on my 94 geo prizm. I know its an easy job, but I'm not fully confident in my abilities yet and I know that belt controls a LOT of important functions. So how much should i expect to pay to replace that?

Thanks
By 'drive belt' do you mean Alternator belt? or timing/cambelt? In the UK the most common word for the alternator/fan belt is the Drive belt....given that on modern cars it drives more than just the alternator I guess. If ya mean the timing belt, which I'm guessing maybe you do, due to saying how it drives many important parts, it isn't the easiest job and could prove quite costly depending on the car (I'm not sure about your car due to it's unavailability over here!). An alternator belt wouldn't cost nearly as much though!

I wouldn't attempt a cambelt change yourself though, as it's by no means an easy job and would require specialist tools! I'll move this by the way!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Cliffy you need to be more adventurous. Timing belt replacement is a snap, if you follow the instructions in the manual.

Wouldn't have a clue how much to replace a drive belt, but it only takes a about 30 minutes including a coffee and toilet break.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
sea-level
CF Newbie
 
sea-level's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8
no more than 10 bucks. wal-mart would replace it as a courtesy I would think. As long as you buy it from them.
sea-level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
I replaced a couple of belts on my friend's Mazda Protege, it was more annoying than anything, but on BMW's its so easy, in some cases you can do it without any tools at all, you just need a good yank.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
thisisbrianly
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
By 'drive belt' do you mean Alternator belt? or timing/cambelt? In the UK the most common word for the alternator/fan belt is the Drive belt....given that on modern cars it drives more than just the alternator I guess. If ya mean the timing belt, which I'm guessing maybe you do, due to saying how it drives many important parts, it isn't the easiest job and could prove quite costly depending on the car (I'm not sure about your car due to it's unavailability over here!). An alternator belt wouldn't cost nearly as much though!

I wouldn't attempt a cambelt change yourself though, as it's by no means an easy job and would require specialist tools! I'll move this by the way!

It is indeed just the alternator belt. So it sounds like i shouldn't expect to pay much more than 20 or 30 bucks for it right?

Thanks guys, you're a ton of help.
thisisbrianly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Cliffy you need to be more adventurous. Timing belt replacement is a snap, if you follow the instructions in the manual.
Yes, but we all know how complicated instructions....or destructions as I like to call them, can be, lol....Like riding a bike though, once you've done one, most of them are easy enough.....atleast then if ya want to refer to the destructions in the old Haynes manual, they're not as baffling, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbrianly
It is indeed just the alternator belt. So it sounds like i shouldn't expect to pay much more than 20 or 30 bucks for it right?

Thanks guys, you're a ton of help.
If you're wanting somebody to replace it for you, that's a reasonable price. If however you just want the part, and replace it yourself, $10 would probably be closer to the mark!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 06-17-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.