Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
half-life
CF Newbie

Question questions about driving stick shift

Howdy,

Try not to laugh too hard , but I don't know how to drive stick shift. However, I'd like to learn. I have some questions:

1) Traffic around here sucks and I have stop-and-go driving everyday. How much of a hassle is stick shift in this situation?

2) It's my understanding that you have to press the brake and clutch together to come to a full stop. Let's say you stop at a red light. If you let go of the clutch but still hold the brake, will the car stall?

3) Let's say you're stopped while holding the brake and clutch, and you let go of the brake only while still holding down the clutch pedal. Will the car basically be in neutral and move backward or forward if you're on a slope?

4) If you're stopped at an intersection that's slightly uphill, how do you start going without having the car roll back? I ask because sometimes people behind me are too close and I wouldn't want the car to roll back and bump them.

Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate the advice.
half-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Bo Jangles
CF Newbie

no problem

Alright man, its no big deal dont worry. I just bought my first manual car and had to learn everything too, its done quickly though!

1) Stop and go traffic is quite a hassle, but after a while you get used to it just like driving an automatic stop and go.

2) Yes, if you just press the clutch in you will be in neutral and still moving, and if you just press the brake you will stale out. You need to press the clutch and the brake togehter, or if you feel like doing less then push the clutch in earlier, put it in nuetral then you just have to brake, and whenever you are ready to go, push in the clutch then back to first and go!

3) yes, exactly as you said it. you will slide

4) I completely understand what you mean, when i first took it out it scared the shit out of me when a car got right behind me, especially a nice car. What you want to do is ( while still holding the brake in ) slightly release the clutch until you hear/feel it start to grab. This will allow it not to slide backwards, then you simply easily let go of the brake while starting to accelerate then clutch out and go.

After about a week or 2 you will have driving the manual down and will have fun with it! Hope it helped and good luck!
Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I hold the clutch and gas both at about a halfway point (or a point to where you aren't moving anywhere but don't have the break on). It's a pain holding that position if it's a really long light but you will avoid the rolling backwards if you manuever it correctly. I have to do this in downtown traffic here since apparently tailgating is the thing to do.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I hold the clutch and gas both at about a halfway point (or a point to where you aren't moving anywhere but don't have the break on). It's a pain holding that position if it's a really long light but you will avoid the rolling backwards if you manuever it correctly. I have to do this in downtown traffic here since apparently tailgating is the thing to do.

Well thats a really good way to wear out the clutch, so I wouldn't recommend it.

The PROPER way to do an uphill start is this:

-You're in Neutral, with foot on brake.

-Engage the HANDBRAKE.

-Take foot off brake. (The handbrake holds you)

-Depress the clutch pedal and put it in 1st gear.

-Lightly accelerate while taking foot off clutch pedal. Keep your hand on the handbrake.

-The handbrake will stop you from moving, but you will feel the car move forward slightly. When this happens, release the handbrake and ease forward. No backwards rollage!

Even for people who are good at hill starts, this is still a good technique to know, expecially for extremely steep inclines with poor weather conditions. You won't spin your tires.

Another thing, when you put your foot on the clutch pedal, you aren't automatically in Neutral. You are still in whatever gear you are in, you just have disconnected the engine from the transmission. Thats for you Bo Jangles.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

easiest way for me is put it in first hold the break and the clutch. Release the break and release the clutch to the catch point really fast. Boom no rolling back and your car is barely moving forward so you can take off smoothly without spinning the tires.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Well thats a really good way to wear out the clutch, so I wouldn't recommend it.

The PROPER way to do an uphill start is this:

-You're in Neutral, with foot on brake.

-Engage the HANDBRAKE.

-Take foot off brake. (The handbrake holds you)

-Depress the clutch pedal and put it in 1st gear.

-Lightly accelerate while taking foot off clutch pedal. Keep your hand on the handbrake.

-The handbrake will stop you from moving, but you will feel the car move forward slightly. When this happens, release the handbrake and ease forward. No backwards rollage!

Even for people who are good at hill starts, this is still a good technique to know, expecially for extremely steep inclines with poor weather conditions. You won't spin your tires.

Another thing, when you put your foot on the clutch pedal, you aren't automatically in Neutral. You are still in whatever gear you are in, you just have disconnected the engine from the transmission. Thats for you Bo Jangles.

Hmm, I dont use the handbrake on any hill, even the steep ones and i have a stage 5 clutch. It should be easy without it on a stage 0 once you know the engagement point.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Hmm, I dont use the handbrake on any hill, even the steep ones and i have a stage 5 clutch. It should be easy without it on a stage 0 once you know the engagement point.
One reason you use the handbrake on a hill, other than for the security of the vehicle, at night atleast, is so that you dont dazzle other drivers with yourbrake lights, which is quite easily done, especially if you drive a modern car with LED rear lamps!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 AM   #8
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
One reason you use the handbrake on a hill, other than for the security of the vehicle, at night atleast, is so that you dont dazzle other drivers with yourbrake lights, which is quite easily done, especially if you drive a modern car with LED rear lamps!

Wow, that's a lot to try to think when you're drunk. Besides, how would I be able to do that when I'm holding a cigarette in one hand and my cell in the other?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
Mathew

Quote:

I'm not saying you have to, if you don't need the handbrake, fine, you don't have to use it. I'm saying the PROPER way of doing it. And yes that is the PROPER way.

I use it getting out of my driveway in the morning, its very steep, and my back end is about 2 inches away from another car.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I'm not saying you have to, if you don't need the handbrake, fine, you don't have to use it. I'm saying the PROPER way of doing it. And yes that is the PROPER way.

How is that the proper way? Thats a way for people who cant do it like everyone else.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Wow, that's a lot to try to think when you're drunk. Besides, how would I be able to do that when I'm holding a cigarette in one hand and my cell in the other?
I though women were good at multi-taskin'?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I though women were good at multi-taskin'?
I'm with Cliffy here.. or atleast that's what my math teacher told me this year.. "Men can't multi-task ever, women do it all the time though" (and the teacher is a guy).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
Midnight Rider
CF Newbie

hey bud, i dunno if its too late, but i have a nice tip for you.

if you have your car in 1st geart (at a stop) and you slowly let off your clutch, the car will start to move. (without pressing the gas at all.)

i'm talking very slowly inching off the clutch.

then, when you feel the car start to move, give it gas!

that is a great way to learn how to take off with a 5spd imo.

taking off is, afterall, the hardest part.

hope that helps.

good luck!

=D
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
Mathew

Quote:
How is that the proper way? Thats a way for people who cant do it like everyone else.

Its the proper way because you are in control of your car. You aren't in control when you quickly go from foot brake to accelerator. I realize yes most people can handle hills pretty easily, and most will never us the handbrake, except when parking. But that is the way they teach you in driver's ed (though I never took it), and that is the accepted proper way of doing a hill start.

Just like when you park an automatic, the PROPER way is to pull the handbrake, even though no one does it.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 AM   #15
metalfan1
CF Newbie

I have a question, What are the pros and cons of having 4 speed and 5 speed?
metalfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote