Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 AM   #16
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan1
I have a question, What are the pros and cons of having 4 speed and 5 speed?

4 speed manual, 5 speed manual?
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #17
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Well thats a really good way to wear out the clutch, so I wouldn't recommend it.

The PROPER way to do an uphill start is this:

-You're in Neutral, with foot on brake.

-Engage the HANDBRAKE.

-Take foot off brake. (The handbrake holds you)

-Depress the clutch pedal and put it in 1st gear.

-Lightly accelerate while taking foot off clutch pedal. Keep your hand on the handbrake.

-The handbrake will stop you from moving, but you will feel the car move forward slightly. When this happens, release the handbrake and ease forward. No backwards rollage!

Even for people who are good at hill starts, this is still a good technique to know, expecially for extremely steep inclines with poor weather conditions. You won't spin your tires.

Another thing, when you put your foot on the clutch pedal, you aren't automatically in Neutral. You are still in whatever gear you are in, you just have disconnected the engine from the transmission. Thats for you Bo Jangles.


What if you have a foot parking brake?
What do you do then?
The best way when you know what you are doing is how salimander described it. Also when people are coming up to stop I roll back to tell them to stay back.

Also Talonchik my buddy ruined the clutch on his 80's era RX7 in 3 months in a hilly city like that.
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #18
metalfan1
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
4 speed manual, 5 speed manual?

yeah thats what i meant
metalfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #19
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan1
I have a question, What are the pros and cons of having 4 speed and 5 speed?
When you start getting responses to this question do personal research to verify those responses. I say this because you will get a lot of wrong, ignorant and opinionated answers from people who haven't driven a stick or haven't driven at all.

Car and Driver or Evo is their experience.

I am the only one who can truely answer your question. But I won't because I want to be like Jesus. Jesus doesn't answer asked questions. Follow all of my words and your question may be answered along the way.

Pray to me.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 AM   #20
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
What if you have a foot parking brake?
What do you do then?
The best way when you know what you are doing is how salimander described it. Also when people are coming up to stop I roll back to tell them to stay back.

Also Talonchik my buddy ruined the clutch on his 80's era RX7 in 3 months in a hilly city like that.

Can you even get a stick shift car with a foot park brake? Usually those are associated with large cars, like lincolns...either way it would be the same. Engage, release...
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Can you even get a stick shift car with a foot park brake? Usually those are associated with large cars, like lincolns...either way it would be the same. Engage, release...
I'm sure you can, although I see where you're coming from. And I agree too, it's the same as with a handbrake.....easy really, lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:38 AM   #22
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Can you even get a stick shift car with a foot park brake? Usually those are associated with large cars, like lincolns...either way it would be the same. Engage, release...
My Taurus has a foot parking brake. Its a stick shift. The cadillac cts has a foot parking brake with the 6 speed.
Realeasing while moving your leg back in a tight area really isnt that easy. If my leg is fully depressed on the clutch I can get my hand in there easily but otherwise no. I have tried that and in reality it gets on my nerves and I find it to be more work than just timing the clutch so and rolling back before anyone gets too close. Whatever floats your boat. I learned to do this in a cemetary with an extremely steep hill and practiced in the snow and rain till I had it down. But I also was stuck at work with mom. So I had nothing better to do.
__________________


Last edited by skeetin870 : 06-22-2006 at 05:42 AM.
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #23
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
When you start getting responses to this question do personal research to verify those responses. I say this because you will get a lot of wrong, ignorant and opinionated answers from people who haven't driven a stick or haven't driven at all.

Car and Driver or Evo is their experience.

I am the only one who can truely answer your question. But I won't because I want to be like Jesus. Jesus doesn't answer asked questions. Follow all of my words and your question may be answered along the way.

Pray to me.
I dont think any of the answers here were of the Car and Driver variety.
Get off of your high horse and learn to spell.
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #24
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
I dont think any of the answers here were of the Car and Driver variety.
Get off of your high horse and learn to spell.
Car and Driver editors usually describe their driving experience or give opinions about particular configurations of the vehicle....such as a 5,6, or 7-speed transmission in the car. Some people will take these opinions/views and interpret them incorrectly. My statement was valid and necessary if metalfan1 is to be confident about the knowledge he's absorbing. There are numerous studies and texts explaining why the Internet is one of the worst information sources for people because of how much incorrect and/or biased information is spread across the Internet. Most of the information available on the net is unchecked. I'm trying to lead him in the right direction. Get off my d*ck and LEARN.

I can spell well; I only had one word not spelled correctly in my previous post in this thread. You're lecturing me because of "truely"? Well next time you post don't forget the "'" in don't.

You are a Btich<----spell check it.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #25
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Car and Driver editors usually describe their driving experience or give opinions about particular configurations of the vehicle....such as a 5,6, or 7-speed transmission in the car. Some people will take these opinions/views and interpret them incorrectly. My statement was valid and necessary if metalfan1 is to be confident about the knowledge he's absorbing. There are numerous studies and texts explaining why the Internet is one of the worst information sources for people because of how much incorrect and/or biased information is spread across the Internet. Most of the information available on the net is unchecked. I'm trying to lead him in the right direction. Get off my d*ck and LEARN.

I can spell well; I only had one word not spelled correctly in my previous post in this thread. You're lecturing me because of "truely"? Well next time you post don't forget the "'" in don't.

You are a Btich<----spell check it.
You may be right but you say that as if there is NO good information on the internet. In addition, what was your point in the first place? If you are the ONLY person qualified to help why then do you make a remark saying that you never will. Because you want to be like Jesus? Thatís not a valid reason; you will not ever be Jesus. You could have told him that with more gears in the transmission you have more flexibility being able to keep the engine in its most economical or most powerful places in the rev range. Better acceleration because you can make the first gears much shorter than others, and fuel economy because those last gears can be used specifically for that purpose.

Any comments Bitch?
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #26
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm sure you can, although I see where you're coming from. And I agree too, it's the same as with a handbrake.....easy really, lol


Easy if you have three legs I suppose. Yes, they have cars with foot brakes. My stepdads truck has one. I suppose you could hold your foot on the regular brake and use your other foot to set the foot brake, release the regular brake.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #27
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Easy if you have three legs I suppose. Yes, they have cars with foot brakes. My stepdads truck has one. I suppose you could hold your foot on the regular brake and use your other foot to set the foot brake, release the regular brake.
Dont really need three legs.....two should surfice, just takes time to perfect, lol. I've driven a few, without the need for my third led...*waits for one track minds....*
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:27 AM   #28
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Dont really need three legs.....two should surfice, just takes time to perfect, lol. I've driven a few, without the need for my third led...*waits for one track minds....*
You pervo thats more than I needed or to try to believe and then laugh because REAL men dont need to say of their greatness.
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
You pervo thats more than I needed or to try to believe and then laugh because REAL men dont need to say of their greatness.
I didn't say of my greatness, just that two legs should do just fine, lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #30
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
You pervo thats more than I needed or to try to believe and then laugh because REAL men dont need to say of their greatness.

Just like real men wear pink? No real fags wear pink.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.