Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
jmyers0341
CF Enthusiast

A couple of Questions to the Brits here...

Hey there residents of the UK...I had just a couple questions for you guys, if you don't mind...I had asked some in another post, sorry if I repeat...

How are American cars percieved in the UK? I know that most people I know, regard American cars as un-reliable, ugly POS's with cheap interiors. Also, the few times I have been over to that side of the pond, most cars are very small with very few trucks/SUV's...I understand that this is because of the high price of gas over there--has this changed at all in the last few years? I also think that not driving huge trucks is more of a common sense thing...i.e. driving a huge lifted truck on your 50 mile commute and never going true 'off-raod'...makes me wonder about us sometimes... Also, how rare is it to see vettes, vipers or TVR's? I don't think I have ever seen a TVR other than in pics or once at a car show...I mean vettes are a 30+ a day thing here in so-cal, and vipers are usually a 1-3 times a week depending on where you are...sometimes ferraris are 3-4 a day thing if you are in the right area...Also, what are your smog restrictions in regards to after market parts etc? Sorry if this dragged on.....
Old 04-05-2004, 03:56 PM   #2
sidecar_jon
CF Newbie

oh there are quite a few "SUV's" here too.. almost all fashion accessories for the school run and they disappear if it snows or gets muddy... My view of American cars is, too big and not very well made (but then what is compared to a Japanese car?).. American cars tend to have un inviting acres of vinyl in black and grey and to be, well shockingly un styled!.. And where i live you cant pysicaly fir them down the lanes..(we have quite a lot of single track roads)
sidecar_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Sonreir
CF Newbie

Well my wife is British and I've spent almost 6 months there over 3 stays, so I'll answer based upon my observations:

1.) Classic American cars can be found in the UK. It seems some people love them, some don't. Newest import I've seen (for sale or otherwise) was a mid-90's Camero.

2.) As for SUVs and trucks: When I first went over in 1998, I saw two pick-ups in the 2 months I stayed. They were both Mitsubishis. My most recent time (December of 2003) I saw some Jeep Cherokees, quite a few Mitsu trucks, and a spattering of Land Rovers and other SUVs. It seems the truck/SUV attitude is becoming more prevalent (spelling?) in the UK.

3.) I've never seen a Corvette or a Viper in the UK. I have seen several TVRs though. Just depends on the area; like you said.

4.) I've got no idea on smog restrictions, but I do know they have a yearly (bi-yearly?) checkup on all motor vehicles over 3 years of age. This is referred to as an MOT (reference to the Ministry of Transportation?). The go over your car with a fine-tooth comb and look for things that may be wrong (i.e brakes, worn tread, faulty seat belts (my father-in-law even got had for a cracked bumper)). If anything is wrong, you have to have it fixed before you can legally drive the vehicle. Certainly keeps the junkers off the road. I'm pretty sure a smog check is done during the MOT as well.
Sonreir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
karburator
CF Spain HQ

From Spain HQ

You asked for Brits, but I can say one or two things about Am. cars in Spain.

1. Classic cars: Hard to find. There are some lovers that try to find cars like Mustangs, Camaros, 70's Vettes... The real problem is to find parts to restore them. This one was restored by an internet pal of mine.

2. Present day cars: You won't find american fords (though I've heard they want to import the new Mustang), and the only american GM cars you can see over here are Corvettes, Camaros, some TrailBlazers and Cadillacs (Seville and new CTS). The most common american cars here are Chryslers (Neon, Sebring, Stratus, Voyager (Caravan), 300M, Vision).

There are many people who thinks that american cars are not so well done as european cars (I actually think so ). Otherwise I like many american models as Seville or CTS, Neon, Sebring, 300M... They all are lovely cars.

If I had enough money to buy a CTS or a 300M instead of one BMW or one Mercedes I'll probably do it (and I'M NOT NUTS )

ps: Probably you'll find some grammar/spelling mistakes. Please, feel free to correct them.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)

Last edited by karburator : 04-05-2004 at 06:44 PM. Reason: adding ps
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonreir
3.) I've never seen a Corvette or a Viper in the UK. I have seen several TVRs though. Just depends on the area; like you said.
Why wouldn't you see a TVR....they're British lol, anyway, as for the UK, I've always thought of US cars to be 'Big and Bulky' with huge engines, very unstylish too, although obviously that's my opinion of course! as for the SUV's and pickup's, SUV's are becoming all the more popular of here as are pickup's, only pickup's in the UK consist mainly of either V6 Petrol engined Nissans and Mitsubishi's or the same but with 2.5 - 3.0l Diesel engines, we certainly dont have any V10 Dodge's lol. Another craze we have over here are, as jon said, compact SUV's of as we like to call them 'Soft Roaders' these are cars like Toyota's RAV 4, which never usually go off road (even full sized SUV's never go off road either).

Finally, our MOT test (Minitry of Transport) is as Sonreir suggests, a test carried out once yearly on all vehicles aged over three years old, it's not nearly as savage as you suggest though Sonreir lol..If you get a thorough tester he can rip a car apart but if you get a not so thorough testerr it's a different story lol, bassically they have a check sheet that they use which lists all items on the test, one of the testers where I used to work simply got each car in, checked the lights and reversed it out again lol...and he's still doing it today. Oh and finally, yes, emmisions testing is done as part of the MOT as is Catalytic Converter testing and Diesel testing. Thats about all, I'll post again it if needs be

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers0341
Hey there residents of the UK...I had just a couple questions for you guys, if you don't mind...I had asked some in another post, sorry if I repeat...

How are American cars percieved in the UK? I know that most people I know, regard American cars as un-reliable, ugly POS's with cheap interiors. Also, the few times I have been over to that side of the pond, most cars are very small with very few trucks/SUV's...I understand that this is because of the high price of gas over there--has this changed at all in the last few years? I also think that not driving huge trucks is more of a common sense thing...i.e. driving a huge lifted truck on your 50 mile commute and never going true 'off-raod'...makes me wonder about us sometimes... Also, how rare is it to see vettes, vipers or TVR's? I don't think I have ever seen a TVR other than in pics or once at a car show...I mean vettes are a 30+ a day thing here in so-cal, and vipers are usually a 1-3 times a week depending on where you are...sometimes ferraris are 3-4 a day thing if you are in the right area...Also, what are your smog restrictions in regards to after market parts etc? Sorry if this dragged on.....

Personally I see them as cars that use brawn and normally not brains (like it’s a bad thing! I think they are great! There are 2 Dodge Ram’s that are close to me, a few Vettes, absolutely no Vipers and LOADS of TVR’s.. Yeah, we’re big on the whole “small car” stuff.. There are emission regulations but their far too complicated to go into in the 5 mins I have to type this message…

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
ps: Probably you'll find some grammar/spelling mistakes. Please, feel free to correct them.
Na, there were only one or two. I/we all understood you perfectly!

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Another craze we have over here are, as jon said, compact SUV's of as we like to call them 'Soft Roaders' these are cars like Toyota's RAV 4, which never usually go off road (even full sized SUV's never go off road either).

The posers make people like me look bad while people like you tie me with the same brush as the posers. I can assure you that I don't give a **** about following crazes. A Rav4's 'harder' than a lowered Saxo through snow and deep puddles.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
sidecar_jon
CF Newbie

MOT.. my old bike tester was great.. Well you arived here so the brakes work then. etc.. but then he liked outfits (bikes and sidecars).. my cars aprachign three years old now... im reallying on me having paid for serviceing to get it thro !
Old 04-05-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
The posers make people like me look bad while people like you tie me with the same brush as the posers. I can assure you that I don't give a **** about following crazes. A Rav4's 'harder' than a lowered Saxo through snow and deep puddles.
Sorry Snoop, I did wonder if I should have said that bit as I know you drive a Rav4, I dont for one second assume that you follow the craze...sorry if I offended you

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Cliffy, I didn't get offended but yet I still felt the need for a defensive post. One day I'll start a thread on SUVs where I'll mainly defend them and attack most of the SUV owners out there. While I'm an SUV driver, I'm up on a pedestal for insults. If I ever get a 4WD Jag then I'll be up for comments like, "They’re crap now that Ford own them", “Aw yer flash bastard” and "It's an old man's car". There's an element of truth in all these comments but they don't apply to me No need to apologise Cliffy, I was just speaking out for myself but not the other SUV posers
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #11
sidecar_jon
CF Newbie

down here one can claim, ligitimately to need a "SUV" but usualy the people who really need one, cant aford one of the shiney sort. beat up landrovers are the order of the day. Yesterday there was a Jeep (big as a tennis court) parked outside the house with a parking ticket on it as it was half on a double yellow line, at least four people pointed out the ticket to me and laughed. Thats the sort of reaction that a huge shiney car that cant fit down some of the lanes gets round here!.. They do seem a bit over the top for the school run. Haveing said that i can see that the high up view is nice to have from the drivers seat. And some look good too, like a sort of grown up toy... my car could fit in the boot (trunk) of most SUV's lol
Old 04-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #12
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

About 90% of off roaders are never used propperly... Both my Dad and Step-mum have "SUV's".. My Dad has a Land Rover Discovery and my Step-mum has a Land Rover Defender (I was getting a Range Rover but i didn't because they roll over a little too easily... ) and both go off road regularly, both are dirty and used for pulling trailers and (BIG) horse boxes.. The other day my dad submerged his discovery in mud, yes, submerged. The mud was above the bottom of the door and conciquently the Discovery looked quite good untill he washed it...

R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #13
sidecar_jon
CF Newbie

i dont think ive seen a dirty 4X4 round here, not the shiney sort anyway..i drove my minecule car down a lane that i know a guy refused to drive a Discovery down, he said it was impasable!.. my car and the farmers old GPO van made it alright!... isnt the SUV thing to do with taxes in USA? somthing to do with them being registered as trucks and therfore can be more lax in their invironmental impact?..or somthing?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #14
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar_jon
i dont think ive seen a dirty 4X4 round here, not the shiney sort anyway..i drove my minecule car down a lane that i know a guy refused to drive a Discovery down, he said it was impasable!.. my car and the farmers old GPO van made it alright!... isnt the SUV thing to do with taxes in USA? somthing to do with them being registered as trucks and therfore can be more lax in their invironmental impact?..or somthing?
My dad and step-mums Land Rovers have the 300 TDi engines and so are really clasified as the "shiny sort"...!

Old 04-12-2004, 09:25 PM   #15
sidecar_jon
CF Newbie

to me a car is ok as long as forward progress is maintained .. they aint bikes you know!... mines a 500cc diesel!