Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2004, 03:50 AM   #16
MaChao
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
If I had enough money to buy a CTS or a 300M instead of one BMW or one Mercedes I'll probably do it (and I'M NOT NUTS )

So US cars over there cost more than BMWs and Mercedes?! That's interesting...

I know that the importation costs would differ, but is there a great difference?

And regarding the compact SUV craze, let me say something. Now I'm not going to be biased or anything (I don't own or know anyone with one), but I am going to play the other side for a little bit.

MANY MANY people do not buy SUVs to go off-road at all. A lot of people want more interior space, cargo room, hook a bike on maybe and go do fun stuff, or for the [perceived] increased safety.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:40 PM   #17
swiftynifty
CF Newbie

American cars.........errrrrrrrrrr .....thanks

OK here's how we see it: on 1 are the European makes, 2 are the Japanese and lagging behind are American (just ahead of Iranian Paykans and the sort).

1 is for general quality and character
the Japanese are sensible buys, very reliable but a bit lacking emotionally
nobody buys American unless they're Americans living here.
swiftynifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #18
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Dynamically, most of the American stuff we get over here doesn't cut it. Japanese manufacturers such as Toyota use different suspension set-ups for the UK on some cars, to give a firmer ride. This doesn't seem to happen with US cars.

'Boulevard ride' characteristics aren't really appreciated over here: we've got lots of narrow roads with corners, and handling, on the whole, is considered more important than ride comfort by a lot of people.

The Chrysler Neon was one of the worst cars I've had the misfortune to drive. Compared with similarly priced European/Japanese family cars, it was poorly built, slow, coarse, cramped and handled badly. It felt about 10 years behind the competition. You don't see many of them around as a consequence.
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #19
speedracer#1
CF Newbie

Hey whats goin on!!!

So all you guys just post up that you have certain amount of cars where u live so this is what we have in the USA.

1. classic cars: camaros, mustanges, chargers, vetts, cobras
speedracer#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
diggisaur
CF Newbie

I was born in England and moved to the USA when I was 19 where I have been for over 7 years.

As far as I can say, living in Ohio, I barely see any Viper's, Corvettes, or Ferraris myself. Unless I hit a parking lot at the right time (collector's gathering and that is usually only vintage Corvetts at best) or hit certain parts of town. At one part I was seeing an Aston Martin about once a month when I was cruising a particular part of town.

Living in England for 19 years and moving to America the wide use of pickups in Ohio was quite a cultural shock. You never see pickups in England. Maybe its because it rains all the time. Seeing as I've heard English weather is somewhat comparable to Seattle (lots of rain) it would be interesting to see if Seattle has a lot of pickups also. Maybe its a climate thing? I have noticed though that England seems to have a greater proportion of small vans. ie... as Ford Ranger is the baby of trucks so are certains vans in England the babies of vans over here. I can't think of the Ford vans over there.

Also, it might be that the lack of SUVs in England is strictly due to gas prices but I know in certain richer areas of England Landrover Discoveries (expensive in the USA) can be as thick as mud.

I've also wondered what the connection is between Chevrolet and Vauxall. Chevrolet doesn't exist in England, yet Vauxall has many similar model names. Interesting eh?

I think its also partly geographic. As the largest proportion of cars in England seem to be european and small. So maybe it a combination of gas economy, geography and loyalty.

I mean I don't see any Citreon's or Fiat's ever in the USA.
diggisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #21
fudge
let's fighting love

Well we brits are paying at least twice as much as the americans in petrol so it pays to have an economical car. Also insurance companies charge a lot for 18-21 year olds (especially males) so you have to have deep pockets to run a car over 2litres displacement.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggisaur
Living in England for 19 years and moving to America the wide use of pickups in Ohio was quite a cultural shock. You never see pickups in England. Maybe its because it rains all the time. Seeing as I've heard English weather is somewhat comparable to Seattle (lots of rain) it would be interesting to see if Seattle has a lot of pickups also. Maybe its a climate thing?

I lived in the Seattle area for 35 years, lots of pickups. Lots of rural land. Ohio is mainly rural farmland (with some large cities thrown in the mix), sopickup trucks will definitely be common.

Rural areas, large expanses of countryside to traverse, and cheap fuel means pickups and SUVs would be common.

Quote:
I have noticed though that England seems to have a greater proportion of small vans. ie... as Ford Ranger is the baby of trucks so are certains vans in England the babies of vans over here. I can't think of the Ford vans over there.

Also, it might be that the lack of SUVs in England is strictly due to gas prices but I know in certain richer areas of England Landrover Discoveries (expensive in the USA) can be as thick as mud.

Now you're getting to the keys...

High fuel prices and small streets/country roads literally thousands of years old and designed for pedestrian horse traffic only, mean small cars for the majority of people, and large cars only for the wealthy. While people from the UK on this site may think of American cars as being too large and thirsty, I have to remind them of Jaguars, Land Rovers/Range Rovers, Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Bristols, etc that are just as large and just as thirsty as anything from the US.

The US had wide open spaces (compare the physical size of the US to the UK), wide roads (since most modern towns were developed at the same time as the introduction of the automobile) and cheap fuel. We could, and did, build for power and comfort at low prices above all.

Quote:
I've also wondered what the connection is between Chevrolet and Vauxall. Chevrolet doesn't exist in England, yet Vauxall has many similar model names. Interesting eh?

GM has owned Vauxhall and Opel since the 1920s. Like Ford, GM builds cars for various markets IN those markets, designed for those markets.

Quote:

I see a Fiat every day (in fact a few of them right near here besides my own)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #23
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I was born in England and moved to the USA when I was 19 where I have been for over 7 years.

As far as I can say, living in Ohio, I barely see any Viper's, Corvettes, or Ferraris myself. Unless I hit a parking lot at the right time (collector's gathering and that is usually only vintage Corvetts at best) or hit certain parts of town. At one part I was seeing an Aston Martin about once a month when I was cruising a particular part of town.

Living in England for 19 years and moving to America the wide use of pickups in Ohio was quite a cultural shock. You never see pickups in England. Maybe its because it rains all the time. Seeing as I've heard English weather is somewhat comparable to Seattle (lots of rain) it would be interesting to see if Seattle has a lot of pickups also. Maybe its a climate thing? I have noticed though that England seems to have a greater proportion of small vans. ie... as Ford Ranger is the baby of trucks so are certains vans in England the babies of vans over here. I can't think of the Ford vans over there.

I think its also partly geographic. As the largest proportion of cars in England seem to be european and small. So maybe it a combination of gas economy, geography and loyalty.

Don't know where in Ohio you live, but I lived in a small city and saw jsut as many corvette's as mustangs. Even saw some young kids sometimes in corvettes. Sh*t my friend owned a C4 before he bought is 98' Cobra.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #24
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Living in England for 19 years and moving to America the wide use of pickups in Ohio was quite a cultural shock. You never see pickups in England. Maybe its because it rains all the time.
Even though this thread is ancient, I'll play. The problem with general statements is that they're most often too general and therefore incorrect. My guess is that the guy who wrote this lived in the city. I can assure you, as someone who lived in England, if you live in the right part of the country pick-ups are quite common. My driver at the time (when not driving one of my many for-sale cars) was a Ford P100, very similar to the one in the pic except without the topper.

From my experience the difference between living where I did (Eyke, Suffolk) and London is about the same as living where I do (Redneck Hell) and Atlanta. Pick-ups are simply more common in more rural and agricultural areas.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #25
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
My driver at the time (when not driving one of my many for-sale cars) was a Ford P100, very similar to the one in the pic except without the topper.

From my experience the difference between living where I did (Eyke, Suffolk) and London is about the same as living where I do (Redneck Hell) and Atlanta. Pick-ups are simply more common in more rural and agricultural areas.
Geez I remember this thread well lol.....were the Cortina Pickups called P-100's? I always thought it was just the Sierra Pickups....or maybe not. Still, dont see many of them on the roads anymore. I remember in the ealy to mid ninties they were all over the place!....Unfortunatelly I think most have gone to the scrap yard in the sky now lol, the only ones that seem to be around are well cared for exaples.

I wanted to get an old Cortina (mk5....like in the pic), onlu a saloon ...might still do oneday...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:09 AM   #26
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Geez I remember this thread well lol.....were the Cortina Pickups called P-100's? I always thought it was just the Sierra Pickups....or maybe not. Still, dont see many of them on the roads anymore. I remember in the ealy to mid ninties they were all over the place!....Unfortunatelly I think most have gone to the scrap yard in the sky now lol, the only ones that seem to be around are well cared for exaples.

I wanted to get an old Cortina (mk5....like in the pic), onlu a saloon ...might still do oneday...
The Cortina P100 was built from about 1980-1989. The Sierra P100 then came into production until about 1995. If I recall correctly, all P100's were built in South Africa and imported to the UK.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #27
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The Cortina P100 was built from about 1980-1989. The Sierra P100 then came into production until about 1995. If I recall correctly, all P100's were built in South Africa and imported to the UK.
I see, thanx for that. So the Cortina P100 was in production still, when the saloon went out of production?...I seem to recall that they lasted a little longer

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote