Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
scape279
CF Newbie

Question Comfortable car recommendations for a tall person

I'm looking to get a new car as I will be doing a lot of commuting for a new job. I currently have a mk4 Fiesta 1.25 which has done me good for the last few years. The trouble is, the car is a little too small and uncomfortable for regular use.

I'm 6'3" and the Fiesta gets me in the small of my back after 30 mins of driving... The new job means a bit more money so I want a newer bigger car anyway.

I'm after a medium sized car, Ford Focus type or bigger, that is comfortable to sit in for long journeys and with a good range of mod cons like air con, electric windows and central locking etc.

Any advice or recommendations on a good car?

Summary:

I'm after a car that is:
- Comfortable to sit in + drive
- AC, EW, CL etc
- Pokey response when I put my foot down, but not too guzzly on fuel when using normally
- Spacious 'cockpit' for my long legs (i'm tired of slouching to see traffic lights)
- Budget of 2-3k
I've had my eye on a Focus, but would like to look at others

I'm not after:
- Showing off to neighbours
- Stylez and alloyz or spoilerz
- Something that looks too elite

Thanks in advance
scape279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape279
Summary:

I'm after a car that is:
- Comfortable to sit in + drive
- AC, EW, CL etc
- Pokey response when I put my foot down, but not too guzzly on fuel when using normally
- Spacious 'cockpit' for my long legs (i'm tired of slouching to see traffic lights)
- Budget of £2-3k
I've had my eye on a Focus, but would like to look at others

I'm not after:
- Showing off to neighbours
- Stylez and alloyz or spoilerz
- Something that looks too elite

Thanks in advance
Your budget should allow for an early model (pre facelift), Mk1 Focus. You should be able to afford a 1999 V-reg model with the 1.8litre engine for around £2,500, or a 2000 X-reg model with a 1.6litre engine for around £2,800. Both engines are reasonably responsive, obviously the 1.8 slightly more so than the 1.6. Look out for base model 'CL' speced cars as these wont have A/C (I understand your need for this, my next car will have it....although the wife seems to think windows are a reasonable replacement ). All Focus' come with PAS, Driver & front passenger airbags, electric fron windows, and central locking as standard. All cars apart from early Diesel models are 16-valve Zetec varients, too.

Thinks to look out for on a used Focus are worn lower suspension arm bushes (would have been the same with your Fiesta), as these wear extreamly quickly, you'll know if they've had their day if you hear a knocking noise whilst driving, coming from the fron of the car, also check for tappety engines, as the Oil recommended by Ford is exteamly thin for a reason (as the thicker stuff doesn't lubricate the hydraulic tappets sufficiently!). If you wouldn't mind the unrefined, and aged feel of the old Ford Turbo Diesel engines, you could also afford a 1.8TDdi on about a 1999 V-reg, which predescends the later, TDCi units, these offer about 50mpg, and are quite pokey through the gears thanx to the turbo.

As far as fuel econemy goes on petrol models, these cars only have a 47litre tank capacity, so dont be suprised when the level drops quite quickly, you'll still be getting around 40mpg out of the 1.6 and only a tad less from the 1.8. Another car to consider is the Vauxhall Astra, although they're not nearly as good to handle, and look quite bland, too, inside and out! You could also look at Peugeots 306 if you dont mind French motors, due to the new 307 being availble, as with the Focus, and the Astra, used prices are competative. I recon you could pick up a 51-reg 1.9litre diesel turbo model for about the same as the 1.8 Focus diesel, and the Peugeot is arguably more refined, and definately alot quicker! Unfortunately your budget wount quite stretch to a modern 2.0HDi diesel though. Also, steer well clear of petrol 306's, as these are unreliable and slow (only 8-valve most of the time, too!).

Hope this helps in your search!

Edit: Just seen your profile, you're not a million miles away from me, lol....straight down Britains largest carpark infact (M25)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 06-22-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
True_Brit
Has a new job!

yeah something along the line of Vauxhall Astra, Ford Focus, VW Golf!
I know how exactly you feel, im the same height and a mate of mine has a fiesta and sitting in the back is soooooooo uncomfortable

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
yeah something along the line of Vauxhall Astra, Ford Focus, VW Golf!
I know how exactly you feel, im the same height and a mate of mine has a fiesta and sitting in the back is soooooooo uncomfortable
The only trouble with the Golf is, they hold their value too well, which is a good thing if you're selling one, but not so much so if you're in the market for one. I guess now the new model's out, values will drop though......He could buy a 1999 V-reg 1.9SDI non-turbo diesel for around £2,800, but it's not really worth the effort lol as the 1.9TDi's are much nicer units. Other than that, his budget for a petrol model will probably only stretch to a 1998 S-reg or 1999 T-reg 1.6litre 8-valve. Also, A/C was only an option on lesser models

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
scape279
CF Newbie

Thanks for the info guys...

Still looking around at all cars, a rather enthusiastic relative started showing me mercedes c classes and bmw 3 series... before I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole thinking they would be way too much to insure. it turns out a 1.8 mercedes c180 is about the same to insure as the focus ghia 2.0L. interesting.

although british parts are cheaper, the german built cars tend to be more robust in terms of their engineering, so i have been told. buying price is around the same for the focus too - maybe a little older generation though.

still undecided, although i did like the look of the bmws and mercedes over the focus

on the other hand i am ahem supposed to be going for practicality (and comfort) not best looking, swinging the argument once again, the german cars are genrally more comfortable. aah!
scape279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
True_Brit
Has a new job!

in that case, go for the Merc, a mate of mine used one as a Taxi!!!

it lasted him a long time,,, 6years of constant driving (not just round town but across the country and europe) before it wore out!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I agree with True Brit, If ya want a German car, go for the Merc, however, for your budget you'll be looking at a 1995 - 1997 model, depending on mileage, that doesn't bother you? A while ago I'd have said take a BMW over a Merc, but now it's the other way round, however, steer well clear of Manual gearboxes on the Mercedes, as these a notchy and horrible to use! if you want a manual, go for the BMW, as these are probably the best in their class!

Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Yes, the auto tranny is so smooth on a merc, no matter how old it was! the cab driver i mentioned had no probs with it!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote: