Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Mad Hatter IX
CF Newbie

Restoring/Buying a Classic

Ive always liked big,huge cars."Boats" as some people call them.I have always liked them because of the way they ride and how much room there is in the car. I was woundering what older cars would be worth restoring. Im only looking for oppionons. thanks
Mad Hatter IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quite a wide open range for opinions to fall into.

First off, are you looking to build a car to resell at a profit? Are you looking at something to retore to participate in teh hobby of restoring, or are you looking to have something that you can enjoy daily? Do you want to show it, or drive it? Do you want stock or custom?

Ok, on to opinions. Personally, I'd say mid '60s Lincolns and Caddys. Always classy, relatively easy to work on, even though they are complex. Cheap enough to buy into for a decint car that needs work. can be left stock or customized, and eith er driven as a low cost "fun" car or spent stupid money on for either a 100 pt restoration or show winning custom.

you could also go for some offbeat full size cars like late '60s Impalas and Caprices, or cars like that '65 galaxie that was posted in the other thread.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

How 'bout...

That's a boat for sure!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

That brings up another set of questions... Cost. How much do you have to spend on this project? how much time do you have? How much of the project can you handle (do you even have a place to work on it)? All of these things need to be adressed, when deciding on what the actual car will be. These cars take up a lot of space, more when they are taken apart...

What kind of car have you looked into so far?

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Mad Hatter IX
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
That brings up another set of questions... Cost. How much do you have to spend on this project? how much time do you have? How much of the project can you handle (do you even have a place to work on it)? All of these things need to be adressed, when deciding on what the actual car will be. These cars take up a lot of space, more when they are taken apart...

What kind of car have you looked into so far?

arg i posted but it didnt go!!!!

but anyways. as of right now i only have about 4 grand and i lost my job. but its not like im looking to go out and buy a car tommorrow.I have pretty much all the time in the world to work on it.I do have a big garage that i could work on any car in and have plenty of room. I would like a car that i could take to shows when it was finished.But on the other hand i would like a car that i could take out for a weekend or occasional cruise. Its important to me that it rides nice(or could be made to ride nice). Ive looked into a series of Cadilacs and Lincoln Town Cars and a few others. Im dont really know alot of cars that are big like this.Thats why im asking.
Mad Hatter IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Go to your local bookstore and grab a Hemmings Motor News magazine, and go to a local convenince store and fine an old car trader. Look through them and find a car that strikes your fancy. There are TONS of them out there. Literally.

http://www.hemmings.com/

The more offbeat ones will be harder to find parts for (though it's easier now with the Internet to locate things for rarer cars), but could be more rewarding. They will often also cost less initially.

In your budgetary range a later '60s Lincoln would be the best choice, but I hesitate recommending anyone without a job to spend what little they've saved up on a project car.

www.midatlantic7s.com