Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
rmkwebdesign
CF Newbie

Used car, under $6k, need comparisons

Hello! I've posted my introduction in the appropriate forum! LOL Here's my question!

I'm looking at buying a used foreign luxury car (4 door), for under $6k. In general, it looks like I can buy around a 1992/1993 car, loaded, with around 100,000 miles for around this price.

However, I need help with some comparisons, as I don't know the quality of some of the Asian cars as compared to some of the European cars. I've been looking at Mercedes 300 series and some comparible BMW/VW models, but am unsure of what Asian cars might be comparable. Acura? Infiniti? Good buy? Stay away from? Stick to a European car? What others should I be looking at?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give! And, please be nice - I've already been yelled at twice today!!!! LOL
rmkwebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkwebdesign
Hello! I've posted my introduction in the appropriate forum! LOL Here's my question!

I'm looking at buying a used foreign luxury car (4 door), for under $6k. In general, it looks like I can buy around a 1992/1993 car, loaded, with around 100,000 miles for around this price.

However, I need help with some comparisons, as I don't know the quality of some of the Asian cars as compared to some of the European cars. I've been looking at Mercedes 300 series and some comparible BMW/VW models, but am unsure of what Asian cars might be comparable. Acura? Infiniti? Good buy? Stay away from? Stick to a European car? What others should I be looking at?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give! And, please be nice - I've already been yelled at twice today!!!! LOL
Hey *slaps*, I'm a nice guy really lol, if you're looking for an upmarket car as your post suggests, An early to mid '90's Honda (Acura) Legend should fit the bill as far as Asian cars go...or maybe a very early '90's Lexus (although I cant off hand specify any particular model as there's a few of them!)..btw, what exactly is Infinity, i've heard of Mazda RX7 Infinity's but sinse being a member here I've heard it used in more general terms like you say it...is it a manufacturer like Acura or something?

That's all I can think of, off hand, but bear in mind that most Jap manufacturers build top end cars, even Mitsubishi has the Gallant which is quite a nice car and can be had for your budget (93-94 models)..Just look around is my only other suggestion..Good luck

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
rmkwebdesign
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Hey *slaps*

Ducking! LOL

Quote:
btw, what exactly is Infinity

My understanding is that Infiniti is the luxury line from Nissan, that Acura is the luxury line from Honda, and that Lexus is the luxury line from Toyota. Is this correct, everyone?

Quote:
An early to mid '90's Honda (Acura) Legend should fit the bill as far as Asian cars go...or maybe a very early '90's Lexus

That's all I can think of, off hand, but bear in mind that most Jap manufacturers build top end cars, even Mitsubishi has the Gallant which is quite a nice car and can be had for your budget (93-94 models)..

Thanks very much for your suggestions. In general, how do European cars match up against Asian cars?
rmkwebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
My understanding is that Infiniti is the luxury line from Nissan, that Acura is the luxury line from Honda, and that Lexus is the luxury line from Toyota. Is this correct, everyone?

correct you are.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I knew about Acura (sort of) and Lexus, although here in the UK we dont have Acura or Infinity...just Lexus as Toyota's luxury line.

Quote:
Thanks very much for your suggestions. In general, how do European cars match up against Asian cars?
You're welcome, as far as European cars matching up against Asian cars is concerned, there really isn't much difference nowerdays, although in say, the 80's, Asian cars were more 'reliability' orientated rather than 'style' orientated. During the 90's however, things changed quite a bit, with Lexus and Honda turning out some lovely vehicles, that mot only looked the part, but performed well and looked great too. As for 90's European cars, BMW had it made with the 5-Series which not only looked great but had, IMHO, one of the greatest manual transmissions of all time. At the end of the day it's all about what you are looking for in a car. Both European and Asian cars not have great reputations for Performance, Reliability and style. I say go with what your heart says and ignor what the mags etc say about either Asian or Euro cars. It's you who's gonna be lumbered with it afterall!

btw, sorry, I hope I don't sound too much like a journalist in this post

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
correct you are.

Damnit SJ! You beat me to it!

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote