FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 04:51 AM   #16
Hoxviii
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d spamony
a new saab huh....
I have to agree, bigtime

As for mileage, a Nova is only a 7mpg car if you drive it like it's a 7mpg car. If you build a mild/medium 350 for it and learn how to stay out of the secondaries except for when you need it you can get 15-20 mpg all day long. But be warned: When you hear the secondaries kick open and start to roar and fell the rush, it is VERY addictive. You'll just want to build it bigger and badder. Also, ever heard an open header 400 horse V8 do a 5500 RPM launch on the street.? All i can say is that it is absolutey AWESOME (but watch out, the cops swarm). (i know that doesn't count as "mild/medium", but he'll be there someday )

A Nova just has so much more character than a CRX there's no comparison. Plus, i've seen 400 hp 350's built on highshool/part time job budgets. It really is cheap fun compared to the CRX.

But if what you want is some asthmatic 4 banger that'll get you 30 MPG while sounding like a swarm of angry bees, go ahead and get the CRX, no one's stopping you.

Justin

Show: 1966 VW Beetle Ruby Red, retored stock (see avatar)
(For sale)

Just your average 18 year old. . .
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii
I have to agree, bigtime

As for mileage, a Nova is only a 7mpg car if you drive it like it's a 7mpg car. If you build a mild/medium 350 for it and learn how to stay out of the secondaries except for when you need it you can get 15-20 mpg all day long. But be warned: When you hear the secondaries kick open and start to roar and fell the rush, it is VERY addictive. You'll just want to build it bigger and badder. Also, ever heard an open header 400 horse V8 do a 5500 RPM launch on the street.? All i can say is that it is absolutey AWESOME (but watch out, the cops swarm). (i know that doesn't count as "mild/medium", but he'll be there someday )

A Nova just has so much more character than a CRX there's no comparison. Plus, i've seen 400 hp 350's built on highshool/part time job budgets. It really is cheap fun compared to the CRX.

But if what you want is some asthmatic 4 banger that'll get you 30 MPG while sounding like a swarm of angry bees, go ahead and get the CRX, no one's stopping you.

Justin
I agree with that...but as vwhobo says, they are two very different cars, so it's really hard to compare them both to each other As for the Saab.... lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:41 AM   #18
WannabeWrxOwner
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
i would pick the nova, then sell it and buy a new saab.

You know why they call it a Saab, right?
WannabeWrxOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #19
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii
If you build a mild/medium 350 for it and learn how to stay out of the secondaries except for when you need it you can get 15-20 mpg all day long. But be warned: When you hear the secondaries kick open and start to roar and fell the rush, it is VERY addictive.

What are secondaries?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #20
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Why not combine them?

This CRX was built for the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge, which meant the total cost had to be kept under $2004 including the original cost of the car.

Now, of course, at the challenge was a Nova that ran 10.60 in the quarter AND had to try to go around an autocross course, while I helped build a turbo CRX for the $2003 challenge that ran pretty quick and autocrossed well...

http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-we...s/DSCN0398.jpg

http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-we...CN0399_001.jpg

http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-we...s/DSCN0400.jpg

I've never owned a Nova, though I had a '71 Pontiac Ventura (same car, differnt badges). Easy to make quick, harder to make handle. I did own an '86 CRX Si, wish was damn fun. Easy to make reasonably quick (and it feels quicker than it is), and easy to make handle excellent, while still being a practical daily driver. Both have HUGE aftermarkets, and both can be made into tasteful performance cars. Both can also be made into terribly tacky travesties, too.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #21
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

^...interesting, im thinkin it is probably a little bit faster than my car haha
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #22
enron fever
CF Addict

whats your guy's beef with saabs? my 86 c900 is a great car.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:49 PM   #23
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
whats your guy's beef with saabs? my 86 c900 is a great car.
I had a Saab 900.....It was ok, but not a car I'd choose to own if I had more money, it wasn't a turbo either ..I have two things to say about that Honda...it's steering wheel's up side down and, how do the wheels turn?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-07-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I have two things to say about that Honda...it's steering wheel's up side down and, how do the wheels turn?

No, the steering wheel is turned a half turn (notice the front tires are pointed slightly to the left). And it turns quite well.. The wheel wells are cut out for clearance. if it were to be complately finished, I'd say it would have fender flares on it to cover the wider (Corvette) wheels on it...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #25
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
No, the steering wheel is turned a half turn (notice the front tires are pointed slightly to the left). And it turns quite well.. The wheel wells are cut out for clearance. if it were to be complately finished, I'd say it would have fender flares on it to cover the wider (Corvette) wheels on it...
Oh yes...I should have noticed that, I even looked at the first pic first to see if I was right....I was wrong lol, thanx for the insight as to it's turning capabilities, it just looks impossible to turn

Old 04-09-2004, 06:02 AM   #26
enron fever
CF Addict

Quote:
I had a Saab 900.....It was ok, but not a car I'd choose to own if I had more money, it wasn't a turbo either ..
neither's mine, it's an 8v, and while acceleration isn't much (my best is 0-60 in 10s ), but it does have a top speed of 120mph, and it can ride comfortably over an extended period of time at 95mph completely stock. and that's also with 275,382 miles on 'er.

so meh. i would take the nova, sell it, and buy a '92 c900 carlsson. even tho they are only available in europe. sigh
Old 04-10-2004, 05:36 AM   #27
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
neither's mine, it's an 8v, and while acceleration isn't much (my best is 0-60 in 10s ), but it does have a top speed of 120mph, and it can ride comfortably over an extended period of time at 95mph completely stock. and that's also with 275,382 miles on 'er.

so meh. i would take the nova, sell it, and buy a '92 c900 carlsson. even tho they are only available in europe. sigh
Well, mine had about 100,000miles on the clock and it's 0-60 was close on 15secs and could barelt top 100mph..Mine was an 8valve too, so what does yours have that mine didn't?

Old 04-10-2004, 06:41 AM   #28
enron fever
CF Addict

Quote:
Well, mine had about 100,000miles on the clock and it's 0-60 was close on 15secs and could barelt top 100mph..Mine was an 8valve too, so what does yours have that mine didn't?
i dunno. my dad took religious care of this car, and it runs like a beaut. i dunno why you have the 15 sec 0-60, but your probably shifting out of 3rd too soon. 3rd gear is fine till around 50. i can go higher but the engine really howls.