Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2006, 02:34 AM   #31
Newspeak
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
i know, what i meant about the bugatti is that, yeah you could take it too the track and blitz everyone on it, but i doubt theres a track big enough to let it do top speed, but i stand corrected, i just thought of ovals and airports!
sorry, im tired and my brains not working properly lol

On a 3 mile straight, the Veyron can reach its top speed from stand-point and then come to a complete stop.

If I'd won the lottery today...I'd already be on the sign-up sheet to get my hands on one.
Newspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #32
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

whys it always hp?!?! hp isnt everything. they could just play with some gearing, and easily make those marks
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:45 AM   #33
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
whys it always hp?!?! hp isnt everything. they could just play with some gearing, and easily make those marks

Horsepower is everything. It's a measurement of how much work is being done.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:46 AM   #34
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

gearing directly effects both torque and power though. so mess with some gearing, and those speeds can be reached with the same hp

Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #35
What
Banned

Quote:
gearing directly effects both torque and power though. so mess with some gearing, and those speeds can be reached with the same hp
You confused me, but if there isn't enough hp available, you might not be able to overcome the drag to max out your gears.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #36
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
You confused me, but if there isn't enough hp available, you might not be able to overcome the drag to max out your gears.

im sure that with the power that those things make, lowering the gear ratios a little bit wouldnt cause them to not be able to overcome the drag.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #37
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
im sure that with the power that those things make, lowering the gear ratios a little bit wouldnt cause them to not be able to overcome the drag.

If you lower the gear ratios you're going to have more low end power and lose high end range.

Regardless, the car is not limited by drag. Its computer governed. It can go beyond 253 mph if it used the rest of its power, but not safely.

Quote:

Are you saying that the Veyron needs 1000 hp to reach 253 mph, but only 700 hp to sustain it? If this is what you are saying, physics says you are wrong. 700 hp isn't nearly enough for the VEYRON to overcome 253 mph worth of drag.

Thats not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that in all its gears besides the last it uses 1001 hp, but only gets up to 700 or so when the governer kicks in in its highest gear.

Last edited by PontiacFan27 : 07-06-2006 at 03:58 AM.
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #38
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Thats not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that in all its gears besides the last it uses 1001 hp, but only gets up to 700 or so when the governer kicks in in its highest gear.
So basically you're saying that the car produces less drag than the Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1, and Saleen S7TT?

Also, what source told you that the Veyron was only using 700 hp at top speed?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #39
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
So basically you're saying that the car produces less drag than the Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1, and Saleen S7TT?

Also, what source told you that the Veyron was only using 700 hp at top speed?

The show Top Gear and Car and Driver if I remember correctly.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #40
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
The show Top Gear and Car and Driver if I remember correctly.
Dude your wrong.
Trust me.

This is a quote from Gordon Murray:
Quote:
The Veyron because of its high CDA figure and huge cooling drag needs 1001 hp to go 12 mph faster than a McLaren F1 producing 627 hp. To help understand the problem of starting a car program from a weak point aerodynamically, we do some calculations: A turbocharged F1 producing 1001 hp would achieve 281 mph assuming the same drivetrain efficiency. Another way of looking at this equation is that an F1 would need "only" 740 hp to reach the Bugatti's top speed. All this demonstrates just what an uphill struggle the Bugatti team faced to achieve their targets.

The Veyron has a drag coefficient of .36 in "max speed" mode. A .36 cd is ridiculously garbage. The retro-styled Shelby Mustang Cobra almost matches it with a .38 cd. Just about every modern supercar has a better drag coefficient than the Veyron. It is impossible for a gasoline powered vehicle with a .36 drag coefficient to travel at 253 mph in Earth's atmosphere with only 700 hp moving it. The Veyron needs all 1001 horses to travel to its max of 253 mph. Maybe it can go 255 if unlimited

Check your resources.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:17 AM   #41
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
The Veyron has a drag coefficient of .36 in "max speed" mode. A .36 cd is ridiculously garbage. The retro-styled Shelby Mustang Cobra almost matches it with a .38 cd. Just about every modern supercar has a better drag coefficient than the Veyron. It is impossible for a gasoline powered vehicle with a .36 drag coefficient to travel at 253 mph in Earth's atmosphere with only 700 hp moving it. The Veyron needs all 1001 horses to travel to its max of 253 mph. Maybe it can go 255 if unlimited

Check your resources.
Gasoline powered? does that matter, or just a redundant statement?
Sometimes the cars with the best aerodynamics have higher drag coefficients in the interests of stabilising handling too. I'm not saying one way or another in this case, because I haven't looked into it, but it's worth pondering.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #42
omegaV12
CF Newbie

wouldnt the fact that the bugatti weighs so much and the W engine configuration is so heavy have to with the fact that it needs 1001 HP to reach 253? With all those luxury features and those 16 pistons to move, the Bugatti is definitely different from most "ultimate" supercars: i mean most McLaren F1s didnt even have radios. I would think weight would definietly be a factor, just as much as a .36 cd.
omegaV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #43
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Sometimes the cars with the best aerodynamics have higher drag coefficients in the interests of stabilising handling too. I'm not saying one way or another in this case, because I haven't looked into it, but it's worth pondering.
Some cars do allow for a high drag coefficient to achieve some downforce to increase stability, but no matter what the drag coefficient was increased for, it still retards the forward progression of the car at speed. The higher the cd ration, the more power you will need to achieve a given speed. I should add that modern cars are being built to achieve more downforce with less drag via under-car manipulation. If you know the history of the Veyron, you will understand how flawed its design is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaV12
wouldnt the fact that the bugatti weighs so much and the W engine configuration is so heavy have to with the fact that it needs 1001 HP to reach 253? With all those luxury features and those 16 pistons to move, the Bugatti is definitely different from most "ultimate" supercars: i mean most McLaren F1s didnt even have radios. I would think weight would definietly be a factor, just as much as a .36 cd.
Weight doesn't hinder top speed. Weight helps determine the rate of acceleration. This is proven through basic physics. So you're wrong, the weight of the Veyron doesn't affect the top speed of the car. Its .36 cd does.

It can be argued that more weight makes it easier to go faster.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #44
omegaV12
CF Newbie

It can be argued that more weight makes it easier to go faster.[/quote]

And how would that work?
omegaV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #45
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaV12
And how would that work?

ever notice that most light-weight performance cars such as the Lotus Elise and Ariel Atom have amazing acceleration, but sub 160 mph top speeds?
I cant explain exactly how it works though

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote