Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #61
Wally
I Know More Than You

If the final ratio is shorter and the redline of the engine is the same, then top speed ain't gonna be what it was before and the engine will probably not achieve the output it was designed to, except maybe on acceleration.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #62
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
If the final ratio is shorter and the redline of the engine is the same, then top speed ain't gonna be what it was before and the engine will probably not achieve the output it was designed to, except maybe on acceleration.

ah. Too short of gearing. Gotcha

Well, I'll put my faith in designers that're half competent

Last edited by Godlaus : 07-07-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:44 AM   #63
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

best over-all car?

I'd say the Bentley Continental GTC that either just came out or is coming out this month I think would be the best overall car. It has all the premium amenities you could want (even for an ultra-luxury car). It has a lot of backseat space and interior space. It's a convertible, and of course the best car in the world has to be fast...It has a top speed of 195 mph with the top down I believe.

Best over-all car?
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 AM   #64
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
ah. Too short of gearing. Gotcha

Well, I'll put my faith in designers that're half competent
depends on what they're designing for.... they may not be designing for the car to be redlined out in top gear .... in general anyway
Old 07-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #65
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I'd say the Bentley Continental GTC that either just came out or is coming out this month I think would be the best overall car. It has all the premium amenities you could want (even for an ultra-luxury car). It has a lot of backseat space and interior space. It's a convertible, and of course the best car in the world has to be fast...It has a top speed of 195 mph with the top down I believe.

Best over-all car?

Best cars STILL depends on expected useage. If you have to tow a 4 horse trailer, that Bentley sudenly is one of the worse choices. If one of your main automotive hobbies is running the Rubicon, then that Bentley is a horrible choice, as well.

That's why "best car" threads are so often worthless, as it usually boils down to some kids who want the fastest car. A much better question is "best car for a particular use."

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #66
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Best cars STILL depends on expected useage. If you have to tow a 4 horse trailer, that Bentley sudenly is one of the worse choices. If one of your main automotive hobbies is running the Rubicon, then that Bentley is a horrible choice, as well.

That's why "best car" threads are so often worthless, as it usually boils down to some kids who want the fastest car. A much better question is "best car for a particular use."
There you go again, open mouth, insert foot. My wife uses our Bentley to pull her six horse slant all the time. The only problem was mounting the fifth wheel in the trunk.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #67
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
There you go again, open mouth, insert foot. My wife uses our Bentley to pull her six horse slant all the time. The only problem was mounting the fifth wheel in the trunk.

I was accounting for lack of fabrication skills of the person I was talking to. Didn't mean to denigrate your 5th wheel Bentley or your autocrossing H1.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote