Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

Is this swap possible

So we have a 01 ford mustang, nothing special, but my dad wants to do something different with it, something that hasnt been done before on it. I've seen a honda civic with an evo motor swap and all wheel drive conversion. Money is really no object here, i know this sounds crazy and dumb, but would it actually be possible to swap an evo motor into it, yeah its different but its his idea. anyone have any idea on this? thanks
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmracersv98
So we have a 01 ford mustang, nothing special, but my dad wants to do something different with it, something that hasnt been done before on it. I've seen a honda civic with an evo motor swap and all wheel drive conversion. Money is really no object here, i know this sounds crazy and dumb, but would it actually be possible to swap an evo motor into it, yeah its different but its his idea. anyone have any idea on this? thanks

Rule of thumb: With enough money anything can be done.

Now whether swapping in a motor from an evo into a Mustang holds any intelligence, that is the question.

Personally I am not positive but I am pretty sure the Mustang weighs a bit more, but it is ok because with the V8's they usually have they have the torque to back it up, if you wanted to swap in an Evo motor and drivetrain, well, it would be unique, but from my view pointless/stupid. Unique yes, worth it? F*ck no. In all honesty if I saw someone who did that I'd be like uhhhh Cool? But thats just my opinion.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Colossal waste of time. The japanese motor in the Mustang in Tokyo Drift was enough, we dont need anymore.

Mustangs deserve V8s.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Colossal waste of time. The japanese motor in the Mustang in Tokyo Drift was enough, we dont need anymore.

Mustangs deserve V8s.
For the first time ever (maybe the second I'm not sure), I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

if you want different, put a hemi in it. keep import engines away from domestic cars...
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
fudge
let's fighting love

I'd say go for it, you will probably upset the purist or the patriotic but if it's what you want in your car then nobody should stop you from doing it. I've seen LS1's in BMW E30 and Cosworth YB in Peugeot 106's.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Hell everyone and their mother has some sort of a small block Chevy in everything now a days
Old 07-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Hell everyone and their mother has some sort of a small block Chevy in everything now a days

wtf???? its the most widely used engine in the street rod scene. they have more aftermarket support available than almost any other. it just makes sence.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Spade
CF Enthusiast

If you want a freaking engine in a mustang, and money isn't an "object" here...

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/408w_Proflo.htm

*points and laughs at import*
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
wtf???? its the most widely used engine in the street rod scene. they have more aftermarket support available than almost any other. it just makes sence.
I know but he wants to do something different and I thought Fudge was suggesting it
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
fudge
let's fighting love

A Mustang with AYC would be interesting, at least it'll handle good in the rain.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

I think your all forgetting one thing the Evo is 4wd and unless your father is an engineer with as much time and knowledge and money as the guys that created the evo, you will never beable to get a gearbox, diff's and everything else that is required, I think some people need to stop watching movies or just realise that they are movies, the Mustang with the RB is something very different to a mustang with an evo engine to start with the two cars the engines come from are at least half similarand work off the same platforms, come on get real
DRFT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

the swap wouldn't be all that hard with a modicum of fabricatrion skills. I've seen much tougher stuff done in private garages.

And the "Mustangs deserve V8s" is a lot like the assholes that told me my V8 RX7 was sacriledge because RX7 means rotary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
If you want different, put a hemi in it. keep import engines away from domestic cars...

Oh, really? I'm putting a Lexus 4.0 DOHC V8 in my '63 Mercury Comet to replace the same displacement Ford V8. It'll be harder than bolting in a 5.0, but that's what I want. I want it to be unique. You want to complain about my car now?

I'd love to put a 20B TT rotary in a '65-66 mustang fastback. Just to piss off purists. I've put domestic engines in Japanese cars. I found that the Datsun 240/260/280 Z engine literlly BOLTS into the the stock Ford I6 mounts in the early Mustangs and Falcons, and makes a great upgrade for the 6 cyl. A guy I know at Grassroots Motorsports built a '66 mustang coupe that he swapped in the entire rear floor and suspension from a Toyota Supra, and then replaced the front suspension with the Supra parts, and he did the ENTIRE conversion, including the cost of the car, for UNDER $2000! In his garage. if you hada complete EVO (or perferably, DSM Turbo) you could do teh same kind of work he did... Considering a Mustang weighs about as much as a turbo DSM, it may not be a bad swap. Different, unique, and pisses of closed minded asshats. Perfect.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
Tooyoung225
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27

Mustangs deserve V8s.

i never thought this day would ever come...but i accually agree with PontiacFan. (no offense dude). that would be the biggest waste of money ever...put a v8 in it.
Tooyoung225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:26 AM   #15
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

or better yet forget the mustang and just buy an evo, that would be way more fun
DRFT-R is offline   Reply With Quote