Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

3.8L in an S10

My friend has an 80's S10 with the 2.8L fuel injected V6 in it and has been thinking of an engine swap. He has decided that he'd like to do a 3.8L swap (from a Camaro) along with the automatic transmission from the Camaro. He also plans to add a supercharger and blower on it.

We were wondering if you could use a supercharger from the Bonneville SSEi or the Grand Prix GTP on the Camaro engine, or if it'd be easier to just use the engine out of the SSEi or the GTP and just use a RWD trans from something else.

Do any of you think this would be a reasonable and easy swap, or would it not be worth it (time, money or power wise)? Any opinion is appreciated, also, feel free to say how easy/hard this swap may actually be. Thanks.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
My friend has an 80's S10 with the 2.8L fuel injected V6 in it and has been thinking of an engine swap. He has decided that he'd like to do a 3.8L swap (from a Camaro) along with the automatic transmission from the Camaro. He also plans to add a supercharger and blower on it.

We were wondering if you could use a supercharger from the Bonneville SSEi or the Grand Prix GTP on the Camaro engine, or if it'd be easier to just use the engine out of the SSEi or the GTP and just use a RWD trans from something else.

Do any of you think this would be a reasonable and easy swap, or would it not be worth it (time, money or power wise)? Any opinion is appreciated, also, feel free to say how easy/hard this swap may actually be. Thanks.

Honestly, Just get a Chevy 350 with a turbo 350 trans. It'll be easier (they make kits for the 350 swap), a bit more expensive, but you'll get more power. Swapping in a 3.8L supercharged or not, I still don't see it being as good of a combo as the 350. If your friend is going through all this effort, why not just swap in an LS1 with a 6-speed manual??? That's what I'd do...

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Honestly, Just get a Chevy 350 with a turbo 350 trans. It'll be easier (they make kits for the 350 swap), a bit more expensive, but you'll get more power. Swapping in a 3.8L supercharged or not, I still don't see it being as good of a combo as the 350. If your friend is going through all this effort, why not just swap in an LS1 with a 6-speed manual??? That's what I'd do...
You seem to be confused which should come as no surprise to anyone who is a long time member/reader. Dumping in a 350/350 combo would be cheaper than a 3.8/supercharger set-up. When was the last time I said to you think, type, submit?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well he'd like to keep it automatic (not sure why), and has said that he thinks the 3.8 would be cheaper on insurance then having the 350 put into it (plus he thinks the weight difference between the 2 engines would make a big difference in a little truck). I just thought I'd ask what you guys thought (knowing more of this kind of stuff then him or I) and I could let him know some of the responses. Thanks.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

i didnt think it would matter on insurance whats motors in it, cause if thats the case, wouldnt they have to check every vehicle? id go with the 350, its not much heavier than the 3.8 and the old saying goes "theres no replacement for displacement "

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:14 AM   #6
O-P-ET
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89

well we'll find out won't we?
O-P-ET is offline   Reply With Quote