Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Wally
I Know More Than You

Challenger but no Charger

Well apparantly Chrysler are to release the Challenger in a couple of years, but we Australians won't be seeing a reincarnation of the Charger because of insufficient interest internationally.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well apparantly Chrysler are to release the Challenger in a couple of years, but we Australians won't be seeing a reincarnation of the Charger because of insufficient interest internationally.

oh!
i havnt seen one at all (there could be a reason for that!!!)

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Being one of the few MoPar people on this forum I guess it's my duty to keep you guys informed.

as reported in todays "Detroit News"

Chrysler is crashing the muscle-car party with plans to build a production version of the Dodge Challenger coupe that debuted as a retro-styled concept car in January at the Detroit auto show.

The automaker plans to herald the return of the Challenger at the Pepsi 400 in Daytona, Fla., on Saturday, according to people familiar with the plans.

The Challenger concept, a rear-wheel drive coupe, drew raves from enthusiasts for its old-school looks and growling 425-horsepower V-8 engine.

"It's a pure retro car," said Csaba Csere, editor in chief of Car and Driver magazine. "It's a dead ringer for the original 1970 Challenger."

Chrysler plans to build the Dodge Challenger off the same basic chassis as its rear-drive Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Both of those vehicles are built in Brampton, Ontario.

That will save both money and time. The Challenger could go into production by 2008, said one person familiar with the plans.

The Challenger is returning into what may be a new golden age for American muscle cars. The Ford Mustang has become a smash hit since a redesign last year that paid homage to classic versions of the pony car in the 1960s.

General Motors Corp. is widely expected to resurrect the Chevrolet Camaro -- which went out of production in 2002 -- in the next few years.

A striking concept version of the Camaro arguably drew even more attention and praise than the Challenger at the Detroit auto show this year.

Nostalgic made-in-Detroit sports cars are coming back at time when the flagging domestic auto industry could use a little of the old magic.

Chrysler designers drew inspiration from a 1970 Challenger parked in the studio as they created the concept version. Designers hewed closely to the original version but filed off some of the rough edges and added bigger wheels and a more refined interior. The concept sits on a 116-inch wheelbase, six inches longer than the original. And it's two inches wider, making it appear more squat and tough.

"The historical significance of the Challenger takes it back to the days when the Big Three dominated the highways," said Erich Merkle, an analyst with IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids, who has closely followed the Challenger program. "The design represents a place where Japanese competitors can't follow."

Chrysler's top sales and marketing executive, Joe Eberhardt, has said in the past that a production version of the Challenger could be priced slightly higher than the Ford Mustang, which has a starting price of between $19,000 and $26,000 depending on engine choice and other options.

"One of the keys for Challenger will be pricing," Csere said. "It can't be priced too much higher than the Mustang or they won't be able to reach the sales volumes they need."

Merkle said he expects that the Challenger will only be offered with a V-8 engine, unlike the Mustang, which comes with both a V-6 and a V-8 option. He believes Dodge will sell about 30,000 to 35,000 Challengers beginning in late 2008.

"Essentially it will be a specialty vehicle," he said.

AND

From Allpar thread, and apparently from the WSJ...

DODGE CHALLENGER GETS GREEN LIGHT FOR PRODUCTION

Tomorrow, Chrysler is expected to announce at a Nascar race in Daytona Beach, Fla., that it will produce a new V8-powered Dodge Challenger coupe styled after the 1970s muscle car of the same name, people familiar with the company's plans said. Although the car won't arrive in dealerships until next year, it will be featured in summer promotions that Chrysler hopes will pull customers into showrooms, these people said.

The announcement of the Challenger launch, which has been eagerly awaited by fans of the original muscle car, was moved forward by several months in hopes that it would create some buzz for Chrysler, these people said. Chrysler has struggled to separate itself from the negative news overshadowing its two ailing Detroit rivals, General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co.

The launch highlights some development and manufacturing advantages that have emerged for Chrysler recently. As part of its restructuring a few years ago, the car maker overhauled the way it designs and manufactures cars to cut time and cost.

The Challenger will be the fourth vehicle produced from the same components used to make Chrylser's hot-selling 300 sedan. While the first vehicle cost $1 billion or more to develop, the others each cost about a third of that, auto experts estimate. Chrysler will reap other savings because it will build all four of the cars on one production line at a plant in Brampton, Ontario.

Reusing parts also cut the time it takes to develop the car. Chrysler first showed a Challenger concept last January. At the same time, GM presented a concept for its own muscle car, a new Camaro, but that car is still at least two years from production

AND

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/30/auto...nger/index.htm
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

that does look nice, really smooth lines on it

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Jeez Benson, one of the few MOPAR fans? I'm not sure how many there are here for sure, but I know there's more then just you and I (as I've always loved the old MOPAR styling)

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
omegaV12
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Jeez Benson, one of the few MOPAR fans? I'm not sure how many there are here for sure, but I know there's more then just you and I (as I've always loved the old MOPAR styling)

u 2 arent the only MoPar ppl... it has been said that MoPar ppl r the most hardcore of true American muscle entusiasts...and i am glad to say im part of that club
omegaV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

welcome to 6 months ago.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

No 6 months ago the company did not officially announce production as it did yesterday.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
No 6 months ago the company did not officially announce production as it did yesterday.

not officially, but every dealership already had printed materials for it.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #10
True_Brit
Has a new job!

look what i found
http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/dod...ger_sedan.html

http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/dod...ion_wagon.html

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaV12
u 2 arent the only MoPar ppl... it has been said that MoPar ppl r the most hardcore of true American muscle entusiasts...and i am glad to say im part of that club

i'd like to be included in that...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

So the challenger is gonna have to compromise on other qualities to be able to sell it for around what the mustang costs? That's not cool :\

I personally hate the retro styling of cars like the mustang, this challenger and etc. It just doesn't look as sexy and aerodynamic as all new cars. I might be wrong about the aerodynamics but I can't help but notice the front ends of the cars look like they would create a lot of wind resistance when being driven.

I figure there must be a reason that cars don't look like that anymore, right?

I prefer the 2000-2001 mustang design to the newer one.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

Cashed up baby boomers = nostalgia purchases.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #14
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Cashed up baby boomers = nostalgia purchases.

What do you mean by cashed up baby boomers? You mean the potential consumers?
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 AM   #15
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Don't worry about the Charger. I see them around all the time. They are better looking in person, but only in black. Don't lose any sleep over it.