Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
flybynight1456
CF Newbie

Making a 3000gt faster...

Okay I just bought a 93' 3000gt non-turbo. I love it and with a good 222hp under the hood its pretty fast. But i know compared to some of those turbocharged beasts out there, its crap.

I can't seem to find anything (besides these little electric superchargers that probobly dont do much) to make this car faster. (as you can probobly tell i dont know much about cars) It seems that the only turbos and mods or even tips on making the thing faster are for the vr-4. Believe me if i could afford a vr-4 it would be mine. So... Help? and would a little electric supercharger really do much?
flybynight1456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

No, those electric superchargers are a scam. If you wanna spend money to make your 3000GT faster, you might as well sell it and get the VR-4, or perhaps the Dodge Stealth TT since its the same car.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
omegaV12
CF Newbie

superchargers are belt-driven, which means that they have a nasty reputation of killing reliability. if i were you, even though the car is naturally aspirated (non-turbo), still see if its exhaust system is able to accomidate at least a smaller turbo system. it may not be the easiest thing to do, but in many cars it is possible.

more importantly, to start Id suggest to look for a high-perf ECU (computer engine management chip). these, along with high-perf exhaust systems, usually are regarded as the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade performance: it is a perfect starting point. although your not gonna gain lots of HP (no 100+), the difference is significant enough to be noticed.

Many tuning companies such as HKS and Greddy offer high-performance ECU systems, and high-performance exhaust is readily available too. Borla is said to make very good exhaust kits, and they have a million-mile warranty!

also remember your mileage on the car's engine. as miles and miles wear by, engine wear becomes a problem and can gradually kill power. maybe before you make such upgrades, you can use simple engine-oil additives to get out more HP.
omegaV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

could not agree more with omega, justmake sure the engine is working perfectly before moding, the best way to get a bit more squirt is to have a perfectly working car then mod it, saves on head aches
DRFT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Metzger
CF Enthusiast

here's a site that i got a bit of stuff for my ol' 3kgt ... http://www.3sxperformance.com
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynight1456
Okay I just bought a 93' 3000gt non-turbo. I love it and with a good 222hp under the hood its pretty fast. But i know compared to some of those turbocharged beasts out there, its crap.

I can't seem to find anything (besides these little electric superchargers that probobly dont do much) to make this car faster. (as you can probobly tell i dont know much about cars) It seems that the only turbos and mods or even tips on making the thing faster are for the vr-4. Believe me if i could afford a vr-4 it would be mine. So... Help? and would a little electric supercharger really do much?
hey havent been on in a while. Own a 94 3000GT SL Non aspired hehe. Um dont think about doing a supercharger. Youll just be waisting your money. If you could afford to get a small single turbo I dont know how you wouldnt be able to get a OK vr-4 or TT... Thats just my opinion but I guess maintenance is a B###. "You may have bought the car but that brand new sticker price doesnt go away when you repair it." As for help on doing mods and stuff try: 3si.org, stealth316.com, us3s.org. forum as well as guides. Good luck.

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
DukenukemX
CF Newbie

A 3000 GT is basically a Dodge Stealth. A heavy car too since it can be up to as much as 3700 lb. Also if it's a 93 then that car should be just about ready to be burning oil. Most Mitsubishi engines in the early 90's burned oil around 90k to 100k.

Looks like it's time for a rebuild soon if it hasn't been done already.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
lamboluver
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
No, those electric superchargers are a scam. If you wanna spend money to make your 3000GT faster, you might as well sell it and get the VR-4, or perhaps the Dodge Stealth TT since its the same car.
i would just go with the vr4 .. i dont think he is looking for something domestic
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Intake, exhaust, headers, engine work, port the head, tuning, cams, VR-4 turbo package?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
AG_nismo
CF Newbie

Not to sound rude or anything, but I go to an automotive school and while going to this school, I have learned that engine oil additives don't do anything. Oil is made to lubricate your engine and help to keep everything cooler. Additives that "unlock horsepower" do nothing. Oil is about the best lubricant you can buy, nothingwill make it slippier. Another thing, please do not buy octane boosters or fuel tank or injector cleaners. To boost your octane, you wouldhave to pour tonsof that stuff in your tank to make a difference, and it would only make a slightly better burn in the combustion chamber, and for the tank and injector cleaners... They do clean out your tank... but then that trash that it cleaned goes either into your fuel filter and clogs it up, or goes into you injectors and clogs them up. Just my 2 cents... I'm not ragging on anyone, just trying to share my learned knowledge.
AG_nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_nismo
Not to sound rude or anything, but I go to an automotive school and while going to this school, I have learned that engine oil additives don't do anything. Oil is made to lubricate your engine and help to keep everything cooler. Additives that "unlock horsepower" do nothing. Oil is about the best lubricant you can buy, nothingwill make it slippier. Another thing, please do not buy octane boosters or fuel tank or injector cleaners. To boost your octane, you wouldhave to pour tonsof that stuff in your tank to make a difference, and it would only make a slightly better burn in the combustion chamber, and for the tank and injector cleaners... They do clean out your tank... but then that trash that it cleaned goes either into your fuel filter and clogs it up, or goes into you injectors and clogs them up. Just my 2 cents... I'm not ragging on anyone, just trying to share my learned knowledge.
Is that why a camaro was filled with all Royal Purple fluids, and dynoed at 9HP more...and I saw this on PowerBlock some time ago

Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_nismo
Get your tuition back or stay awake and pay closer attention. Simply changing oil viscosity can affect the efficiency and therefore power output of an engine. It may be slight, but it is there. That being said, many of the claims you hear about increased power in TV or magazine ads are under closely confined operating perameters, so most of them are in effect bogus.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:03 AM   #13
AG_nismo
CF Newbie

You have a point about changing the oil viscosity, but like you said... it is so slight that it usually doesn't matter. I'm not wanting to start an argument or anything, I was just trying to warn the guy to not waste his money on oil additives. They are not going to help much, if any. And about the 9 hp on the camaro, believe it if you want, but I don't. The only way that I see that being true is if the oil that was in there before had not been changed in five years and then they put the royal purple in. This is just my opinion, and I think my school is a great school, and I don't sleep in class.
AG_nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:10 AM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Is that why a camaro was filled with all Royal Purple fluids, and dynoed at 9HP more...and I saw this on PowerBlock some time ago

The oil that was in the Camaro was old. For all you know it could've been in there the life of the car. Plus there is a thing called dyno error. The experiment they did was bogus. If they really wanted to test it, they should have change the oil before getting the baseline dyno, and then dynod it a couple times and got the average. Then they shouldve changed to Royal Purple and do the same thing again. That wouldve been alot more conclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboluver
i would just go with the vr4 .. i dont think he is looking for something domestic

The Stealth is as much of a domestic as the 3000GT, just like the Eagle Talon is to the Eclipse.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:45 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
The oil that was in the Camaro was old. For all you know it could've been in there the life of the car. Plus there is a thing called dyno error. The experiment they did was bogus. If they really wanted to test it, they should have change the oil before getting the baseline dyno, and then dynod it a couple times and got the average. Then they shouldve changed to Royal Purple and do the same thing again. That wouldve been alot more conclusive.

The Stealth is as much of a domestic as the 3000GT, just like the Eagle Talon is to the Eclipse.
They didnt just change the oil but the tranny fluid, and i forget what its called but the round thing on the back underneath the car..