Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Changing the exhaust system will inevitably increase power, but how much power depends on which part of the exhaust you replace, to gain any real power increase you'll need to replace the whole system, as replacing parts such as the rear silencer alone, will increase noise rather than power. You're only talking about a few horsies anyway, nothing imence! I'm confused about what you're saying about aligning spark plugs though......

As for the superchip, these are very costly, and power increase can be minimal, however, I think they've been known to decrease fuel consumption rather than increase it. Also, a chip can make the car more responsive and feel nicer to drive, It's not just about power ya know!

Bear in mind that any of the 'modifications' you carry out will probably affect the warenty of the vehicle
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #17
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Changing the exhaust system will inevitably increase power, but how much power depends on which part of the exhaust you replace, to gain any real power increase you'll need to replace the whole system, as replacing parts such as the rear silencer alone, will increase noise rather than power. You're only talking about a few horsies anyway, nothing imence! I'm confused about what you're saying about aligning spark plugs though......

As for the superchip, these are very costly, and power increase can be minimal, however, I think they've been known to decrease fuel consumption rather than increase it. Also, a chip can make the car more responsive and feel nicer to drive, It's not just about power ya know!

Bear in mind that any of the 'modifications' you carry out will probably affect the warenty of the vehicle

My friend told me if all the spark plugs are facing the same direction it can add maybe 2 or 3 horsepower.

So what about supercharging the engine...is that a good idea if you can afford it? Will I have to change the exhaust tips for more exhaust output? Can it be removed? Will any of this potentially damage the car?

Thanks for your help everyone.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #18
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
My friend told me if all the spark plugs are facing the same direction it can add maybe 2 or 3 horsepower.
If it increases power....it sure is news to me, lol. I fail to see how that would work.....maybe it's just me who'e never come across this one before.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
So what about supercharging the engine...is that a good idea if you can afford it? Will I have to change the exhaust tips for more exhaust output? Can it be removed? Will any of this potentially damage the car?
What exactly do you mean by exhaust tips.....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
If it increases power....it sure is news to me, lol. I fail to see how that would work.....maybe it's just me who'e never come across this one before.....
Perhaps some of the rpoblem relates to the fact that our resident geniuses aren't using and probably don't know the proper terminology. I'm quite sure that what they mean is "indexing" the sparkplugs. This is the act of shimming the plugs so that the gap is facing a particular direction in the combustion chamber. It may be to unshroud electrode to increase flame kernal propagation or in some cases (supercharged/turbocharged engines) to protect the electrode from incoming airflow. At best you'll see minimal power gains, and that is with a poorly designed combustion chamber. On most modern engines the only thing it does is sound like you're doing something to make it run better and waste your time.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #20
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Perhaps some of the rpoblem relates to the fact that our resident geniuses aren't using and probably don't know the proper terminology. I'm quite sure that what they mean is "indexing" the sparkplugs. This is the act of shimming the plugs so that the gap is facing a particular direction in the combustion chamber. It may be to unshroud electrode to increase flame kernal propagation or in some cases (supercharged/turbocharged engines) to protect the electrode from incoming airflow. At best you'll see minimal power gains, and that is with a poorly designed combustion chamber. On most modern engines the only thing it does is sound like you're doing something to make it run better and waste your time.

thanks, hobo. i really didn't feel like typing all that out...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #21
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
I thought you had already posted indexing as the interpretation? Another wank power adder. I wonder how you "index" ring, multi_prongers and arc chuted Denso Iridiums.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #22
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Bear in mind that any of the 'modifications' you carry out will probably affect the warenty of the vehicle

You know, Dinan chips wont void the warranty, somtin about being factory approved. that should get a little something out of the car... I will get you the link for your car. Nevermind, they dont have a Dinan chip for the car, but what I did find though was improved Camber Plates, here is the link.

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?...s=42&Model=108

thats for the E90.
blckbmmrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckbmmrM3
You know, Dinan chips wont void the warranty, somtin about being factory approved. that should get a little something out of the car... I will get you the link for your car. Nevermind, they dont have a Dinan chip for the car, but what I did find though was improved Camber Plates, here is the link.

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?...s=42&Model=108

thats for the E90.
And installing camber plates will increase the power of the engine in what way? That is after all the topic of this thread.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #24
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25
My mistake, I wasnt paying attention. It will still increase your cornering ability by a fraction.
blckbmmrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #25
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckbmmrM3
My mistake, I wasnt paying attention. It will still increase your cornering ability by a fraction.
Correction. It MAY increase your cornering ability.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #26
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25
the plates induce .5 degree more negative camber to the front wheels. that would provide more grip and reduces understeer, letting you take the corner at a slightly faster speed than normal. that is increasing your cornering ability
blckbmmrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckbmmrM3
the plates induce .5 degree more negative camber to the front wheels. that would provide more grip and reduces understeer, letting you take the corner at a slightly faster speed than normal. that is increasing your cornering ability
Thank you for quoting the manufacturers literature almost verbatim. Good boy. Now in the real world, everyone knows that that is what it should do and probably will do, but might not under all circumstances. When you have built as many race cars as I have, feel free to lecture me on vehicle dynamics. Until then, do as you claim you want to do in your intro thread... Shut up, listen and learn.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Okay, since everyone is getting along so well, I wouldn't have to change the exhaust pipes for bigger ones if I increase the engine's power in any way? That seems like common sense...but I wasn't sure how much power I could add without having to change them because I don't want to make any visible changes to the car's exterior. Is that clear or no :\

I think the exhaust tips are like maybe 2 inches in diameter...and there are two of them right next to each other. The engine is, from the BMW site... "2.5 Liter, DOHC, inline 6-Cylinder 184-HP". I dunno what else is important to know about it for these purposes.

I should change my question instead of regurgitating what my friend told me..

What could I do to the car to increase engine power substantially without having to change the exterior of the car? and let's say for under $5000 total.

All your responses are appreciated.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #29
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25
I may be young, and I may not have built any race cars, but I am not totally retarted. I wasn't just quoting the website. If it weren't true, I wouldn't post it. I understand that building race cars is great and that you know how all that stuff works. I also understand that there is no greater way to understand how it works then by building it with your bare hands. but I do have the next best thing. My dad used to race cars for a living, mainly porsches, if that means anything. My dad may not have built race cars, but he has certainly gotten his hands dirty. I might also say that he is most likely older than you, so most likely more experienced. I have his confirmation (and also a long explanation) that it is quite true will most DEFINETLY work that way. I will, as you say, "shut up, listen and learn", but I will also throw out my opinion on matters at hand. I will not take shit from people just because I am young and "know nothing".
blckbmmrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #30
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckbmmrM3
I may be young, and I may not have built any race cars, but I am not totally retarted. I wasn't just quoting the website. If it weren't true, I wouldn't post it. I understand that building race cars is great and that you know how all that stuff works. I also understand that there is no greater way to understand how it works then by building it with your bare hands. but I do have the next best thing. My dad used to race cars for a living, mainly porsches, if that means anything. My dad may not have built race cars, but he has certainly gotten his hands dirty. I might also say that he is most likely older than you, so most likely more experienced. I have his confirmation (and also a long explanation) that it is quite true will most DEFINETLY work that way. I will, as you say, "shut up, listen and learn", but I will also throw out my opinion on matters at hand. I will not take shit from people just because I am young and "know nothing".
1. Only someone who is truly retarded would spell the word "retarted". Right there you have blown your entire retort.

2. I don't care if your father "raced Porsches" for a living (what's his name, I might have built him a car or ChrisV or I might know him?) or how old he is. But in the interest of full disclosure, I'm 48 years old and have been involved in the designing, building, maintaining, repairing and driving of racing cars either directly or as a helper when I was a kid for over 40 of them. Wanna compare resumes?

3. Your opinions don't mean sh*t around here sonny, because they are not backed up with either direct experience or knowledge. You are just another teenaged wannabe who is more interested in telling everyone exactly how much you don't know instead of actually taking the time to learn. You were given the opportunity to learn, now just STFU.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.