Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #31
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie

An opinion does not need to be backed by experience or anything.

"Definitions of opinion on the Web:

a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty"

It is a personal belief, not something you need to go by.

In respose to that thing you said, "You are just another teenaged wannabe who is more interested in telling everyone exactly how much you don't know instead of actually taking the time to learn.", You shouldn't stereotype me. If I don't know something, I won't try to act cool and guess or give an incorrect response. Instead of being flamed for something I do wrong, you can just tell me what I did wrong, and correct it. if it happens repeatedly, then I un derstand why you shold flame me. I didn't even do anything wrong yet. Also, just because I am young doesnt mean I do not have experience. My brother who is quite older than me worked with his friends car and his own installing bolt-on parts, with me usually next to him, helping and observing. I understand this is nothing compared to you, but it is still, undeniably, some experience, more than teenage kids who do nothing, and think fast and the furious is the best and thats how they want there cars to look like. I also learn something with being around a 20 year old brother who is obsessed with cars, and a 55 year old father, with tremendous amounts of experience and knowledge of cars. though you have done all that, I am sure the 7 extra years my father has been alive allows him to know slightly more, possibly. I am not trying to say my dad knows everything, I am just saying its possible, you may actually know more.

now that I am done with that, I want to ask you, why do you flame me because I make a simple mistake of talking about performance mods to the BMW, instead of engine mods? It could happen to anybody. Agreed, I could have been more perceptive and remembered the main reason why this post was up. I am beginning to think that your title should be changed to "anally retentive" since you keep on nit-picking on every little mistake.
blckbmmrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #32
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckbmmrM3

In respose to that thing you said, "You are just another teenaged wannabe who is more interested in telling everyone exactly how much you don't know instead of actually taking the time to learn.", You shouldn't stereotype me. If I don't know something, I won't try to act cool and guess or give an incorrect response. Instead of being flamed for something I do wrong, you can just tell me what I did wrong, and correct it. if it happens repeatedly, then I un derstand why you shold flame me. I didn't even do anything wrong yet. Also, just because I am young doesnt mean I do not have experience. My brother who is quite older than me worked with his friends car and his own installing bolt-on parts, with me usually next to him, helping and observing. I understand this is nothing compared to you, but it is still, undeniably, some experience, more than teenage kids who do nothing, and think fast and the furious is the best and thats how they want there cars to look like. I also learn something with being around a 20 year old brother who is obsessed with cars, and a 55 year old father, with tremendous amounts of experience and knowledge of cars. though you have done all that, I am sure the 7 extra years my father has been alive allows him to know slightly more, possibly. I am not trying to say my dad knows everything, I am just saying its possible, you may actually know more.

now that I am done with that, I want to ask you, why do you flame me because I make a simple mistake of talking about performance mods to the BMW, instead of engine mods? It could happen to anybody. Agreed, I could have been more perceptive and remembered the main reason why this post was up. I am beginning to think that your title should be changed to "anally retentive" since you keep on nit-picking on every little mistake.
Read the words of your that I highlighted and then re-read the post. You are not only wrong, but you are contradicting yourself and a hypocrite as well. Get over yourself little boy, you've been corrected, now sit down and shut up.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #33
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
the plates induce .5 degree more negative camber to the front wheels. that would provide more grip and reduces understeer, letting you take the corner at a slightly faster speed than normal. that is increasing your cornering ability

Will also scrub the inboard tread, increase sidewall loading, etc.

Good that you adore your Dad, but be careful channeling his experience ....it is his afterall and us old fossils are aware how these things work. Get him on the forum to share his knowledge, I'm certainly interested in learning new tricks.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #34
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Okay, since everyone is getting along so well, I wouldn't have to change the exhaust pipes for bigger ones if I increase the engine's power in any way? That seems like common sense...but I wasn't sure how much power I could add without having to change them because I don't want to make any visible changes to the car's exterior. Is that clear or no :\

I think the exhaust tips are like maybe 2 inches in diameter...and there are two of them right next to each other. The engine is, from the BMW site... "2.5 Liter, DOHC, inline 6-Cylinder 184-HP". I dunno what else is important to know about it for these purposes.

I should change my question instead of regurgitating what my friend told me..

What could I do to the car to increase engine power substantially without having to change the exterior of the car? and let's say for under $5000 total.

All your responses are appreciated.

Someone, please...lol.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #35
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well if you must keep hyjacking the thread .......

I do most of my own work, so US$5000 would allow me a fairly large scope. In your situation however I would:

look at a larger throttle body, a performance cam, resized plenum and aftermarket ECU. Maybe a bigger bore exhaust depending on the cam profile, but that would be determined after I checked what the torque (acceleration) was doing.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #36
Wally
I Know More Than You

actually I wouldn't be doing anything to it, being a new car and all.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #37
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

So you think I should wait to do anything or that just in your opinion it probably shouldn't be tampered with at all because it isn't worth it?

Thanks for your help Wally
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #38
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie

1. How am I contradicting my self? I am sorry I don't know, probably because I am a "little kid".

2. I was not wrong, the camber plates WILL slightly increase your cornering ability.

3. I am still waiting for a response to my question...
Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #39
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
1. How am I contradicting my self? I am sorry I don't know, probably because I am a "little kid".

2. I was not wrong, the camber plates WILL slightly increase your cornering ability.

3. I am still waiting for a response to my question...
You have been repeatedly corrected and yet you persist. The camber plate may improve cornering ability, but to say they will is simply incorrect. You have once agin displayed that you are a 15 year old know-it-all with no capacity to learn. You already know everything. You're a legend in your own mind.

I'm still waiting for the name of the person who was a paid driver for Porsche, or did you forget about that?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #40
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie

I did not forget. His name is Marc Delpech, and he used to drive in France. YOU still have yet to answer my question... or do you not have a response to such a simple question?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #41
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I did not forget. His name is Marc Delpech, and he used to drive in France. YOU still have yet to answer my question... or do you not have a response to such a simple question?
You have been answered, you just aren't smart enough to know it. If you don't think you have, ask a direct question and I'll be happy to spoon feed you one time.

As for your father. I just spoke with two freinds who know basically everything about the history in Porche racing worldwide. They know about Robert, Jean-Luc, Phillipe, Henri and Michel Delpech, and seem to be drawing a blank on Marc. What racing series was he paid to race in in France?

Old 07-11-2006, 04:51 AM   #42
thefonz
CF Addict

a 55 year old father, with tremendous amounts of experience and knowledge of cars. though you have done all that, I am sure the 7 extra years my father has been alive allows him to know slightly more, possibly. I am not trying to say my dad knows everything, I am just saying its possible, you may actually know more.

I was wondering, if your father is so knowledgable and has so much experience why are you here asking questions?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #43
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
a 55 year old father, with tremendous amounts of experience and knowledge of cars. though you have done all that, I am sure the 7 extra years my father has been alive allows him to know slightly more, possibly. I am not trying to say my dad knows everything, I am just saying its possible, you may actually know more.

I was wondering, if your father is so knowledgable and has so much experience why are you here asking questions?
And here I thought I was the only one wondering that.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #44
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

In order for that opinion to have any value to anyone outside your own head, it damn well better be backed by experience and knowledge. Otherwise, it's an opionion that is backed by it's own opinion.

If you had testicular cancer and you wanted to know how to cure it, would you go to a doctor with years of experience treating it, or a kid who says "it's my opinion that it can be cured by rubbing grape jelley on your balls twice a day for a week. Oh, and that opinion doesn't have to be backed by anything."

An opinion is worthless to give if it isn't based on anything but itself. And an opinion can indeed be wrong.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #45
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
In order for that opinion to have any value to anyone outside your own head, it damn well better be backed by experience and knowledge. Otherwise, it's an opionion that is backed by it's own opinion.

If you had testicular cancer and you wanted to know how to cure it, would you go to a doctor with years of experience treating it, or a kid who says "it's my opinion that it can be cured by rubbing grape jelley on your balls twice a day for a week. Oh, and that opinion doesn't have to be backed by anything."

An opinion is worthless to give if it isn't based on anything but itself. And an opinion can indeed be wrong.
Chris, you've used that exact analogy more than a few times on this forum in the past. Do you remember what always seems to happen? The person it's directed at will dodge the subject by saying that cars aren't medicine, it's a completely different situation, you don't know what you're talking about, blah blah blah, etc. And just so you know, I've always agreed with you and taken your side 100% of the in the past, but I've opened my mind and am beginning to see a new light. After all hundreds of uneducated, inexperienced, unknowing pre-pubescent teens can't be wrong. They must be right, because that's their opinion.

Me? I'm gonna go rub some grape jelly on my balls.