Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
rumble
CF Newbie

what can you do with this degree

Alright i am about to start college and i would like to work with cars for a living. I am not quite sure what to do cause i need some details, I could go to a 2 yr college and get a degree there because the program is suppose to be well done there, but i was thinking about it and i came to the conclusion that maybe i can just my general classes at the community college and then transfer and obtain an Engineering degree in mechanics. My problem is what kind of jobs are there for degrees such as that cause if i really wouldn't want jobs after getting that degree, i had just wasted time and money. So any websites that show different types of jobs for mechanical engineers or if you could just tell me diff types of jobs it would be most helpful and appreciated.
rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I'm a Mech. Engineering major. It is very broad, you could end up working on anything from bridges to airplanes. I can't give you a list of jobs, but I highly suggest you mowzie (sp?) on over to LS1tech.com and type in "mechanical engineering" into the search feature. I frequent the site, and mechanical engineering comes up very often, as it seems many auto enthusiasts go that route. It is one of the best paying jobs straight out of college.

From what I hear, in order to get a good job out of college, you need to get an interniship while you're attending college, because employers want experience. As far as I know you can't get an internship untill your Jr. year, so a two-year school would rule out that, unless you're doing what I'm doing: starting off at a community college, graduate, and enter a 4-year college as a Jr.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
rumble
CF Newbie

thank you i appreciate that. I have looked and sites talking about it say Mechanical E. have a broad aray of things they can work on I was more so looking for on what to do with cars but if i can work on cars along with the possible knowledge of other things to do sides that it would i guess work out fine. I did plan on doing the 2+2 doing a community college for generals and then a university to finish up, thank you for the site also.
rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

If you want to dealy mainly with cars check out Automotive Engineering.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote