Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie

Project Car help

My friend and I, we plan on getting jobs as soon as possible, and to split our money to get a project car. the ideal car we would love to get would be an MKIV Supra. but that would be to expensive to get. So I am asking you guys, what would be a nice car to start out as a project car? Preferably, the car can be able to be used, so we can use it once in a while, but it will most likely spend a lot of time being upgraded. we plan on modifying mostly everything on the car. you know, stuff like modifying engine compartments, upgrade turbo if it comes with one, new drivetrain, axles, performance chip, racing seats, roll cage, shaving as much weight as possible. pretty much the whole shibang, but still be able to be used. near teh end of our senior year, we hope to get it as complete as possible so we can roll into school with our nice car. ^^, thats just our teenage dream though (the rolling into school lookin pimp) I plan to use the car as a performance street machine, with the occasional drifting (the job I will most likely do will land me free used tires, so I can just get them mounted on the stock rims, and use those for drifting.) so I would very much appreciate your input!

oh, and sorry for being so long, I just want to try to get everything in so that way you dont ask questions as to exactly what I want.
blckbmmrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Why don't you just get your own car? The idea of sharing a car is pretty lame. You'll just get pissed off in the end cause he'll spill a soda or scratch the paint or you'll both want to drive it at the same time or he'll leave a used condom in the back seat. So just save up for your own so you don't have to deal with the drama.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

on another note you are going to put all these upgrades in that cost alot of money to begin with and end with. I hope you don't plan on this being a short term project like lets say a year...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie

definetly not. we have been really good friends, and we decided to do this. I know this is gonna take more than a year, probably more than 2. but we don't care. I am just looking for some suggestions about waht sorta car to get. I am having trouble deciding. We were thinking anything from a Supra, to a 350Z, to a 240SX, to an older BMW 3-series. What would be a good car to start with.

Also, there wont be any old condoms in the back, since there wont really be a back left when we take out the back seats.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
blckbmmrM3
CF Newbie

Does anyone have any good cars that are within reason for my price range?(below 5k)
Old 07-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

It really depends on what you want. Fast for cheap, it's hard to beat a 5.0 Mustang. Want something different? A DeTomaso Pantera.

Sharing a car sounds like a REALLY bad idea. The fact that he is a really good friend makes it even worse. Did you ever hear that you should never do buisness w/ family? This is along those same lines. Say something unexpected comes up for him and he runs out of $, or needs $ and wants to sell the car. Or you can't agree on a color. Come prom night...who's using it? There are so many circumstances that would cause you to lose a good friend. You suggested that you may use a 350Z, and that this car would be modified, and it would be a second car to both of you. This makes me think that if you're being realistic, you have a good amount of $ to throw around. For less than 1/2 the cost of the purchase price of a 350Z you could have a well built 5.0, and wouldn't have to worry about losing a friend. You could each build your own and have some good competition.

Edit: just saw your last post. A Pantera is out for under 5K, but how were you going to get a 350Z if that was your budget?

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I say go foxbody and make it low 12's easy, orrrrr either a Miata or Datsun 510 for a nice little autocrosser
Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
ahoo
CF Addict

are Datsun 280's rare in the states? if not then that would be a pretty good buy. but the sharing thing is a bit off the mark.

It's not cheating...............It's studying during the exam
ahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoo
are Datsun 280's rare in the states? if not then that would be a pretty good buy. but the sharing thing is a bit off the mark.
They're sorta hard to find around here where I live atleast, either are beat to shit, have high miles and too high of a price
Old 07-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

How about an older Volkswagen Beetle? ChrisV and vwhobo would be great ones to talk to in that instance, and I'm sure they know the easiest and cheapest way(s) to get a fast Beetle.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote