Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

Lightbulb What car would you get if u had around $20k. (Consider this a poll)

i notice allot of threads asking "best car to get under 10k, 5k, 4k, etc.." well i would like to ask what would ur picks be if u were able to afford a brand new 03-04 car under/around 20-15k.. please name a few cars this would be very helpfull for me thx!

(F.Y.I. i am intrested in gettin a 4door car with room where i can easily fit 5 people and also with a sporty touch that i can possibly fix up a lil, a 2 door car would be fine jus aslong it has room.. rite now i have my eyes set on a Mazda 6, Mazda 3, 04 Lancer Ralliart but i heard Mazda engines really suck ass and will give me problems in tha future. i was also offered a brand new 04 Dodge Neon SXT for 10.9k, plz tell me if that is a good price to pay for that car. and if you would get it.) any suggestions would be helpfull! thx!

~(FYI) i dont mind about power and acceleration.. jus aslong it has enough juice for me to overtake sum1 on tha freeway that is doing 65 (QUICKLY!) and flick him off.
~i care about the looks of the car instead, i want sumthin that is roomy and is a "family type car" but at tha same time it is sporty and able to fix up to look real nice.. so far tha mazda 6 is my choice...
~plz also give me some informations of the mazda 6 engines and the Dodge Neon Deal
~i have test droove the mazda 6 v4 engine automatic... i feel it lacks power and is very heavy. everything else is good. both exterior and interior is nice! the interior has so much room!

Last edited by e.1999-BTNH : 05-05-2004 at 10:41 PM.
e.1999-BTNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

In answer to the thread question...see my sig!!

But I'd probably still have to come up with a bit more that $15k...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

=t

im going to have to pass on BMW's

Last edited by e.1999-BTNH : 04-06-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.1999-BTNH
im going to have to pass on BMW's i prefer japanese cars.

Nothing wrong with preferring inferior quality... It's all about personal opinion...as worded in your thread question.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
microsplit
CF Newbie

If I had the money for a new car, I would definately buy a newer model Honda Civic. They are roomier (could easily fit 5 people) and faster than the previous ones. The Civic is by far the best (cheap) street car I've driven, I've had the 1995 model for over 6 years and have NEVER had a part replaced (except for the muffler) yet! Although I like the Preludes and Celica's too, but they wouldn't give you the room you need.

The Honda Accords are supposed to be even nicer, but they are uglier in my opinion.

My $.02
microsplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

=t

in reply to micro... yes i wouldnt mind having a civic.. the 05 civics look kool, or is that the 04's? all i know those latest ones look kool.. but also, i forgot to mention i am avoiding gettin a car that half world owns =)

but what do u guys think of tha Dodge Neon deal and the Mazda 6 , & RSX..
Old 04-06-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

mazda 6? dont mind if i do... oh wait, already do
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:08 AM   #8
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

This is just my personal preference, but I would NEVER EVER buy a car from a domestic manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, etc). Foreign cars (Japanese, British, German) are of higher quality (IMO).

So in other words, I would not buy the neon. I also just hate the neon.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:47 AM   #9
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

=t

thx for the preference abless.. so is there any1 out there that thinks tha neon deal is ok?

btw mazda6man.. i hear that mazda engines are very poor quility is that true?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Since you did say new(er), that does rule out older BMWs. The Neon is a good deal. The newer ones are solidly built cars that work quite well, in fact. The Focus SVT can be had for a good price, and in 5 door form. The Mazdas are good choices, too.

One of my favorite recent 4 door performance cars is the Contour SVT. YOu can get a 2000 model year for under $14k in like new condition. Fast, responsive (one of the best handling stock vehicles I've had the pleasure of driving), comfortable for long trips, etc.

This was my '99:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
This is just my personal preference, but I would NEVER EVER buy a car from a domestic manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, etc). Foreign cars (Japanese, British, German) are of higher quality (IMO).

So in other words, I would not buy the neon. I also just hate the neon.

I agreed with your post...untill you mentioned British cars being of a higher quality

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #12
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

yes.. im aware of american cars being much lower quality compared to japanese, british, german cars... but is it really true? i mean how do u guys know that for a fact? im sure if we were back in the 80's or 90's yes, im pretty sure that american cars suck ass.. but can u say tha same thing about that now? jus like ChrisV said.. the new ford cars are much better now then they were years ago. is that really true?

~by tha way ChrisV thx for ur suggestion and pictures of your car.. really appreciate it

Last edited by e.1999-BTNH : 04-07-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:37 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.1999-BTNH
yes.. im aware of american cars being much lower quality compared to japanese, british, german cars... but is it really true? i mean how do u guys know that for a fact? im sure if we were back in the 80's or 90's yes, im pretty sure that american cars suck ass.. but can u say tha same thing about that now? jus like ChrisV said.. the new ford cars are much better now then they were years ago. is that really true?

I wouldn't say that American cars are of "much lower quality." And even if you go back to the '70s, when most of them truly sucked in stock form, there were a ton of European and Japanese cars that also sucked hardcore for quality (even if they were fun cars). Early Audi 5000s, Audi Foxes, Fiats, Citroen's, etc all had issues. Fiats and Lancias were made with Russian steel that rusted on the showroom floor (so much so that Lancia went broke buying back rusting Betas from new buyers...). Mid '70s BMWs had a number of issues, themselves, from rust to cracking heads, to major grounding problems. On the japanese side, there were some woefully inadequate cars from Nissan and Toyota, like the Corona Mk II, Datsun F10 and more.

Through the '80s, there were good cars and bad cars from every company. the reputations came from the Japanese giving the appearance of better materials for less money, while the Europeans that survived in the US went up market, in order to charge enough to make the cars have decent materials in them. But judging a basic transportation domestic car against an expensive German luxury car, to prove how crappy American cars is is misleading. While in the '80s and '90s, we got some great Euro cars, we didn't get a whole raft of pretty basic, underpowered, cheaply put together basic European cars, like Fiat Unos, Pandas, Stilos, low end Skodas, Cheap Renaults, and Citroens, etc. And while people love Japanese quality here, we didn't see much of the low end cars that Japan proper gets, from Daihatsu, low end Toyotas, small Nissans, etc.

While I've had many, many Japanese and European cars over the years (and curently have one each American, British, Italian, and German car), the few cars I've bought new have been American, and all have been well built, reliable, and fun.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #14
e.1999-BTNH
Banned

hmmmmm i c... thx for the info ChrisV
Old 04-08-2004, 03:47 AM   #15
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

I agree with Chris in that Japan has put out some pretty crappy models too, but as far as sports cars are concerned, I like foreign cars better. I do like the Ford Focus though.