Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Q____
CF Newbie

crash test cars

does any know what they do with crash test cars.they keep them a while for test and such but afterwards?
Q____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q____
does any know what they do with crash test cars.they keep them a while for test and such but afterwards?
Touch up the paint and sell them to unsuspecting buyers. What do you think the manufacturers do with them?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:02 AM   #3
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Touch up the paint and sell them to unsuspecting buyers. What do you think the manufacturers do with them?
Good way to worry people
Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
Q____
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

lol i wouldnt surprised.but really? they must test many many cars.cars in head on collision still have say back seats that are good.or a car hit in the back will still have a good engine... i know it could be ruined but still you can get a lot out of a car
Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
lol i wouldnt surprised.but really? they must test many many cars.cars in head on collision still have say back seats that are good.or a car hit in the back will still have a good engine... i know it could be ruined but still you can get a lot out of a car
You can also get a lot of bad publicity if you reuse parts from an even slightly damaged crash test car and it gets on the evening news. Ten seconds of negative press erases two hours of expensive advertisements. It's simply not worth it to the manufacturers. The money they spend on test cars is miniscule compared to what is spent on design, advertising and probably coffee and donuts every day. Why run the risk?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #6
Q____
CF Newbie

no no no i ment for my own uses,what happens to the vehicles?imagine getting say an engine out of a srt10 ram because they t-boned it in a crash test or a turbo out of a porche...

they may not like it but you should be able to reach a deal
Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
Spade
CF Enthusiast

Maybe when you go to the dealers and order parts, this is where they take some of the parts from. Would be a smart efficient way to make money, and give your loyal customers a good deal, considering you would just be scrapping the parts anyways.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
no no no i ment for my own uses,what happens to the vehicles?imagine getting say an engine out of a srt10 ram because they t-boned it in a crash test or a turbo out of a porche...

they may not like it but you should be able to reach a deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Maybe when you go to the dealers and order parts, this is where they take some of the parts from. Would be a smart efficient way to make money, and give your loyal customers a good deal, considering you would just be scrapping the parts anyways.
Perhaps neither of you took the time to read or are able to comprehend what I said above. Let me make this very clear. There is no price that automobile manufacturers could get for a part or assembly that would make it worthwhile for them to sell it to a member of the general public. From a public relations angle it would be corporate suicide if a part got out and caused a wreck or even failed prematurely, even if it had nothing to do with the crash testing. Even cars loaned to the press for road testing are generally crushed just to be safe.

If you want junkyard parts, go to a junkyard.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Meet me at the back of the Ford factory in Ontario and I'll cut you a deal on some slightly used airbags.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast

^^^lmao
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I agree, just the fact that a car has been crash tested, regardless of what components were affected, would do the company no good at all. It's like a supermarket selling damaged cans of beans, they do, but people always look for an undamaged tin, even though it's contents are more than likely okay!.....On a slightly cheaper scale obviously!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote