CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
They do anymore

Quote:
I meant what I said.
Hate to say this....but you lost me there, too, lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #32
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukenukemX
So a turbocharged engine should be able to take off just as hard as a supercharged engine? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
One word. Bullsh*t. Perhaps you're unaware of turbos that are operation at essentially 100% efficiency at idle speed. How does this happen? Small impellers and low pressure. Simple, just like you
You are being sucker punched and you don't know it. Think about what he wrote... the engine is at idle, how does it stay at idle......by choking the air supply, the turbo is supplying the air required for the engine 100% efficiently.

Insofar as the question about taking off as hard, also consider that when launching with a supercharger chances are it's efficiency is is best around peak torque and below, after that parasitic losses increase sharply and pumping efficiency drops. If you wanted to approximate this with a turbocharger you would select a small A/R, however because you are going for a good launch and final trap speed you would select a turbo that is going to be on the choke side, but within the 75% (or whatever the centre island is) pumping efficiency region at peak power and a system curve that keeps you well away from the surge area at launch revs, peak torque revs and engine on cam revs.

The problems with most turbo selections are that production cars are built for longivity, most hobbyists don't have a performance calibration engineer on tap, hybrids are made by mix 'n matching stock bits, internet folklore, etc, but when you do jag the correct combo (whether twin or mono setup) chances are you will launch as well as a huffer and then outstrip in acceleration as the engine revs out.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #33
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I seem to recall the Evo being out accelarated at 50mph in 5th gear, by a Toyota Prius or something, lol

A Fiat Stilo 1.4 Estate it was and when the turbo kicked in on the Mitsubishi, they had no more track left to pass i seem to recall

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #34
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Hate to say this....but you lost me there, too, lol

he said "So a turbocharged engine should be able to take off just as hard as a supercharged engine? I think not."

I said: "they do anymore."

I meant it as written. Once again, two nations separated by a common language...

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/anymore

#2. "In many regions of the United States the use of anymore in sense 2 is quite common in positive constructions, especially in speech <everybody's cool anymore>"

They (turbocharged engines) do (opposite of do not, in reference to taking off just as hard as blown engines) anymore (at the present time).

If I have to explain the english language to people here, there's no hope for getting across actual automotive knowledge.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #35
True_Brit
Has a new job!

the video of the lancer evo fq400 v fiat stilo estate drag race (starts at about 7min 40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8haG...%20evo%20fq400

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #36
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
he said "So a turbocharged engine should be able to take off just as hard as a supercharged engine? I think not."

I meant it as written. Once again, two nations separated by a common language...

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/anymore

#2. "In many regions of the United States the use of anymore in sense 2 is quite common in positive constructions, especially in speech <everybody's cool anymore>"

They (turbocharged engines) do (opposite of do not, in reference to taking off just as hard as blown engines) anymore (at the present time).

If I have to explain the english language to people here, there's no hope for getting across actual automotive knowledge.
Could you explain to me what the meaning of "is" is?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #37
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

lol!

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #38
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:

Maybe it is common in the USA, but I'm not a fan of the use of anymore in the positive. It just doesn't seem intuitive ... to me anymore sounds like any more, and has pretty much the same meaning. It doesn't seem right to use anymore as "now". To me "more" suggests previous ocurrence.

Oh well, we all have our different takes on the English language, who are we Ockers to accuse youse blokes of being a few roos short in the top paddock just cos you don't speak dinkum Pomgolian?

She'll be apples!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:58 AM   #39
True_Brit
Has a new job!

a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic!
dinkum Pomgolian????? where did you get that from

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 AM   #40
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Maybe it is common in the USA, but I'm not a fan of the use of anymore in the positive. It just doesn't seem intuitive ... to me anymore sounds like any more, and has pretty much the same meaning. It doesn't seem right to use anymore as "now". To me "more" suggests previous ocurrence.

Oh well, we all have our different takes on the English language, who are we Ockers to accuse youse blokes of being a few roos short in the top paddock just cos you don't speak dinkum Pomgolian?

She'll be apples!
Just so you'll be aware, it is not common in the US. Certainly used by some people, but not common.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #41
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Just so you'll be aware, it is not common in the US. Certainly used by some people, but not common.
much like the bunyip... not common.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #42
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
much like the bunyip... not common.
Good job. I like it when I have to look up a word.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:15 AM   #43
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
what bunyip? i dont know the meaning myself! ive heard of it

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #44
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
hehe. I nearly added a "ps: you're looking it up right now, aren't you?" .... things like that are always funnier if you do it rather than talk about it afterwards.

*sigh......*
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #45
DukenukemX
CF Newbie

Quote:
You're trying to explain a broken language where the word "ghoti" can be pronounced as "fish". Not to forget that if there's a mouse then there's mice but when we say house then we should be able to say hice instead of houses.