Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #46
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
#2. "In many regions of the United States the use of anymore in sense 2 is quite common in positive constructions, especially in speech <everybody's cool anymore>"

They (turbocharged engines) do (opposite of do not, in reference to taking off just as hard as blown engines) anymore (at the present time).

If I have to explain the english language to people here, there's no hope for getting across actual automotive knowledge.
So it's like when you guys say "I could care less" when really, we all know it's "I couldn't care less" lol. So really, it would have been alot easier to simply say "They do now" rather than "They do anymore"....just seems a tad unnatural to use that terminology, and to me atleast, it was obvious that's the reation it would cause
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #47
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
So it's like when you guys say "I could care less" when really, we all know it's "I couldn't care less" lol. So really, it would have been alot easier to simply say "They do now" rather than "They do anymore"....just seems a tad unnatural to use that terminology, and to me atleast, it was obvious that's the reation it would cause

1) it's proper and common useage, and I've heard it regularly on both coasts of the US. It's how I talk and type, and the dictionary backs me up. It's what I meant, and it's accurate. It would be unatural for me to say it any other way.

The issue was that it means exactly that, yet Dukenukemx wanted to correct my meaning, when my meaning was accurate. That's all. Just because what I said and what he said were essentially identical does NOT mean I "meant" to say something other than what I said. The words I said exactly convey the meaning I meant to convey.

And I never say "I could care less." That's an entirely separate situation, where what you say IS opposite of what you mean, and even the dictionary will prove that. In the case of what I typed, the dictionary shows that I did NOT "mean" opposite of what I said. Therefore, your analogy is incorrect.

Fairly simple.

Regardless, the issue is that Dukenukemx was wrong about the facts of the turbo vs supercharger debate as it stands anymore.

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 PM   #48
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
1) it's proper and common useage, and I've heard it regularly on both coasts of the US. It's how I talk and type, and the dictionary backs me up. It's what I meant, and it's accurate. It would be unatural for me to say it any other way.
I disagree. The dictionary says it's common in the US, it doesn't say it's proper English. Dictionaries contain many colloquial and regional expressions.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #49
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
1) it's proper and common useage, and I've heard it regularly on both coasts of the US. It's how I talk and type, and the dictionary backs me up. It's what I meant, and it's accurate. It would be unatural for me to say it any other way.

uhhhh, chris?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #50
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Good job. I like it when I have to look up a word.

i didn't have to look it up.... i have "dot and the kangaroo" on vhs...

the bunyip used to creep the hell out of me when i was a little kid... come to think of it, the whole movie's kinda creepy....
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #51
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
uhhhh, chris?

Don't correct on mere typos. I type very fast, inbetween doing actual work here. I've never taken a typing class, and just wing it. That's a separate issue entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
I disagree. The dictionary says it's common in the US, it doesn't say it's proper English. Dictionaries contain many colloquial and regional expressions.

Colloquialisms/slang are listed as such in the dictionary. This is not. "Proper english" in a language tense does NOT automatically mean British English.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #52
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And I never say "I could care less." That's an entirely separate situation, where what you say IS opposite of what you mean, and even the dictionary will prove that. In the case of what I typed, the dictionary shows that I did NOT "mean" opposite of what I said. Therefore, your analogy is incorrect.
Unfortunately I've heard it used in different context, whereby it does mean as I said it did! The reason I typed what I did earlier was due to the fact that you made a point of saying this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
If I have to explain the english language to people here, there's no hope for getting across actual automotive knowledge.
....and in my opinion, having to explain use of our language when you use terminology like that is no big deal, due to how rare it is. I took it as insulting, even if it wasn't directly aimed at me
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #53
Spade
CF Enthusiast
 
Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 174
In the scheme of things,

Does it matter that if anyone writes anything such as:

their, there, they're?

It's not the grammar honestly, who gives ten shits If your getting your ****ing point across, it doesnt matter now does it?

Its not how you say it, it's what it means.
__________________
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #54
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
In the scheme of things,

Does it matter that if anyone writes anything such as:

their, there, they're?

It's not the grammar honestly, who gives ten shits If your getting your ****ing point across, it doesnt matter now does it?

Its not how you say it, it's what it means.
Sure, that sounds real good when you're in school. Go ahead and type out your resume for any position above dishwasher at Shoney's and put some misspellings in it, then tell the hiring official that it doesn't matter as long as your point gets across. Like it or not, in the real world, spelling counts.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #55
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
In the scheme of things,

Does it matter that if anyone writes anything such as:

their, there, they're?

It's not the grammar honestly, who gives ten shits If your getting your ****ing point across, it doesnt matter now does it?

Its not how you say it, it's what it means.
It matters an awfull lot when you misread a post due to a members misspellings!

It also makes things harder to read!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #56
Spade
CF Enthusiast
 
Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Sure, that sounds real good when you're in school. Go ahead and type out your resume for any position above dishwasher at Shoney's and put some misspellings in it, then tell the hiring official that it doesn't matter as long as your point gets across. Like it or not, in the real world, spelling counts.

How can you even compare this forum to a resume?

(Rethinks situation...The manager where i can't read and write properly . I got written up because of a mystery customer, or as he spelled it "misteri customor"...im trying to get a copy of the redbook to put on ebaulms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It matters an awfull lot when you misread a post due to a members misspellings!

I didn't say that it didnt matter at all, as long as your getting your point across.
Obviously if you misread a post due to a misspleing, he isnt getting his point across :P
__________________
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #57
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Obviously if you misread a post due to a misspleing, he isnt getting his point across :P
I was speaking generally. Honestly though, how long does it take to check a spelling you're not certain of? most of the time, members know the true spelling, but just chose to be lazy in favour!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #58
Spade
CF Enthusiast
 
Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I was speaking generally. Honestly though, how long does it take to check a spelling you're not certain of? most of the time, members know the true spelling, but just chose to be lazy in favour!

it's true, but personally i don't think that its something to get worked up about

As long as you understand what the person is saying, theres no reason to get angry about it. There are 'certain' cases that of course VW would bring out to prove me wrong such as a resume. But otherwise, I just dont see why it's a big deal as long as you cna rdea wtah thdr shdaying.
__________________
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #59
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
I's try to write proper job on ere me ansome!!!
(im speaking the local dialect, cornish!, theyre all lazy and dumb round here lol)
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:24 PM   #60
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
In the scheme of things,

Does it matter that if anyone writes anything such as:

their, there, they're?

It's not the grammar honestly, who gives ten shits If your getting your ****ing point across, it doesnt matter now does it?

Its not how you say it, it's what it means.
When trying to get a point across, grammar and spelling are pretty important. If you're trying to make a point, you are likely fighting some opposition (otherwise why make a point?). When you're trying to convince a person that you are right and they are wrong, it looks bad when you use their instead of they're. You must have seen those dumbass newbs that type like they're texting, or a person that types IN ALL CAPS. Although mixing up two similiar words isn't nearly as bad, it doesn't strengthen your argument.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society


Last edited by giant016 : 07-21-2006 at 11:28 PM.
giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.