Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #16
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

yeah but those photos are a little bit disceaving in the scale, the R34 i a much bigger car, and sure if you want to copy the kit and refrabricate it on a srunckin scale maybe, but that would cost, and also there is the little matter of converting it to rear will drive and shoe horning an RB26 into it, the RB26 is an engine that is prone to over heating, that is why if you look in an engine bay of a skykine you will notice plenty of room to breathe just one thing to consider, but there are a million more before he would ever find that out, and seriously even if he does all the work himself it will cost more then a skyline would be to import, i know what i would prefer
DRFT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFT-R
yeah but those photos are a little bit disceaving in the scale, the R34 i a much bigger car, and sure if you want to copy the kit and refrabricate it on a srunckin scale maybe, but that would cost, and also there is the little matter of converting it to rear will drive and shoe horning an RB26 into it, the RB26 is an engine that is prone to over heating, that is why if you look in an engine bay of a skykine you will notice plenty of room to breathe just one thing to consider, but there are a million more before he would ever find that out, and seriously even if he does all the work himself it will cost more then a skyline would be to import, i know what i would prefer
I agree that the engine and drive train might take some working out, but as for the dimensions, it is only a replica, and just because the Honda is smaller isn't the end of the world, it'll just be like one of those MR-2 - F355 conversions, in other words where it's obviously a conversion, to the un-knowing eye it might look realistic!

Looking at those pics though, I'm suprised at just how similar the cars are!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 07-19-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFT-R
yeah but those photos are a little bit disceaving in the scale, the R34 i a much bigger car, and sure if you want to copy the kit and refrabricate it on a srunckin scale maybe, but that would cost,

No doubt, which is why I said it would be completely custom fabricated. But damn, people do it with cheap kit cars ALL THE TIME. Fiberglass is cheap to work with. And since you have to fab it from scratch anyhow, making it to scale is easy. We aren't talking simply cutting off a real Skyline front clip and welding it on. We're simply talking about making fiberglass hood/fenders/nosecone/airdam that looks similar to a Skyline but to the scale of a Prelude. A little foam carved to shape, lay fiberglass over it, finish like normal bodywork, and it's done. Yeah, it'd cost a few thousand dollars, but VASTLY less than importing a Skyline and getting it certified.

Quote:
and also there is the little matter of converting it to rear will drive and shoe horning an RB26 into it,

That's actually the EASIEST part of the process. Were I to do it, I'd use readily available RWD components, such as from a 2nd gen RX7: full IRS, disc brakes, 5 lug pattern, and available for about $100. In fact, one could get a complete wrecked, non running 2nd gen RX7 for about $100 and use the entire suspension. All you have to weld in is some reinforcing plates where the mounts are. Then run a couple 2x2" square tubes to tie front to back, cut the trans/shifter tunnel out, fab up a sheet steel center tunnel with a couple reinforcments (about $100 in metal), a couple motor/trans mounts in steel (again, less than $50 in metal) and you're good to go.

Besides the RX7, you could use Supra parts, or even older 300 ZX parts. I know a guy who used older Supra front and rear suspension under his '60s Mustang, and built the entire CAR for under 2 grand, including the cost of the car. A little fab time in the garage is all it takes.

Check this car out: http://www.suprang.com/ Look at the fabrication of the front and rear suspension, how complete floor plans were cut and welded, and an entire car built for under $2000.

You could do this: http://www.suprang.com/suprang3.html with a FWD car pretty easily, too. Well, maybe YOU couldn't, but I could.

Quote:
and seriously even if he does all the work himself it will cost more then a skyline would be to import,

You REALLY don't know much about fabriacting cars, do you? I've already given evidence of cars that have been fabbed up for cheap. Now, if he has to have someone else do it, the cost could well be astronomical, but it could be done.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #19
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I agree that the engine and drive train might take some working out, but as for the dimensions, it is only a replica, and just because the Honda is smaller isn't the end of the world, it'll just be like one of those MR-2 - F355 conversions, in other words where it's obviously a conversion, to the un-knowing eye it might look realistic!

Exactly. Or cars like this:

A Miata with a BMW Z3 body kit. Those aren't real Z3 fenders or hood, but they are fiberglass, scaled to the Miata. What the OP is talking about is very similar.

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by Cliffy : 07-19-2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Exactly. Or cars like this:

A Miata with a BMW Z3 body kit. Those aren't real Z3 fenders or hood, but they are fiberglass, scaled to the Miata. What the OP is talking about is very similar.
That looks more realistic than the MR-2 conversion, the rear light clusters look a bit out of place, but everything else looks good. I'm assuming the top picture's the same conversion? the gap in the whel arches is the only give away.....apart from maybe the overal shap of the bodywork (reminiscent of the MX-5!)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Yeah, both of those pocs are of the same car.

The differences between the Miata and Z3, visually and proportionally, are about like the Prelude and Skyline.

And the difference in price between the two is LESS than between the Prelude and Skyline, so it gives a practical pricing precedent for the conversion.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #22
elchango36
WWJCD

Something tells me he doesn't have the fabrication skills that you or your friends do ChrisV. I doubt that if you included outside labor in the price for some of those cars, they would still be under 2 grand.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Something tells me he doesn't have the fabrication skills that you or your friends do ChrisV. I doubt that if you included outside labor in the price for some of those cars, they would still be under 2 grand.

But neither would they approach anything CLOSE to $50k.

The point is, DRFT-R said even if he did the work himself it would cost more than importing a Skyline, and that's patently bullshit. He also said originally that they don't look anything alike, and it's very apparent that the rooflines are quite similar, and the Prelude could easily be made to look similar to a Skyline. he sasid that it WOULD take too much money to convert the Prelude to RWD. I've provided examples that say it's not necessarily true.

So, as is usual, I'm combatting assertations of fact, not mere opinion.

We don't know if he could do it himself or not. he might have to pay a shop to do anythig to his car. he might have budies that woud assist in the work for pizza and beer. He might feel like diving in and learning as he goes. God knows enough people have succeeded doing that, too. he may never actually do anything LIKE it. But the statement that it can't be done is the automatic response from people who simply don't know very much. And whether or not the OP CAN do it himself, those particular assertations need to be rebuked.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 PM   #24
Wally
I Know More Than You

I think DRFT-R is an Australian resident so the cost of importing may not be same, especially if he sourced from New Zealand. There's a fair few of them here and plenty of half cuts.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #25
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I think DRFT-R is an Australian resident so the cost of importing may not be same, especially if he sourced from New Zealand. There's a fair few of them here and plenty of half cuts.

True, though his $50k figure is pretty accurate for one imported and certified here (though Motorex, the main importer, has been heavily sanctioned/fined by the feds).

In Aus and NZ, there would definitely not be a need for making a clone. Here, there are a ton of Preludes and a handful of Skylines.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #26
Wally
I Know More Than You

http://www.nmd.com.au/RightPedal/ite...cfm?itemid=182

AU$28.5k
Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 AM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

Yeah, definitely no need to make a clone if that's available. Here that same car would end up costing double that by the time it hit the roads, if it could do so legally at all.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #28
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

originally i thought he was talking about an earlier model prelude after seeing those photo shop pics i agree they do have some what similar lines, but i am still not convinced he is talking about the new model prelude, I also seriously doubt he has the skills to do a job like these, those sort of skills take ytears to learn and not the sort of skills you can learn by reading a book and if you think it is you are seriously mocking professional fabricators, i also feel sorry for americans not being able to realistically get japans finest car. look if he wants to do it go for it, never want to stomp on someones enthusiam, but for me it just seems all a bit fake to build somthing like that, but i guess that is the show scene for you, i personally prefer go then show, but that is up to the individual, if he loves skylines why not buy something with a similar set up, 4wd big car, twin turbo, but i guess i don't realise how desperate for anything even close to a skyline americans are, i will not deny it Fabrication is not my strong point but i do know somewhat i am talking about, and with the price tag of the cars i tend tro own i prefer to let the professoional jap shops work on it, why should i stuff it when i have professional to do that for me
DRFT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #29
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I had a shop doing custom fabrication, buildnig street rods and customs for those that didn't have the fabrication skills. But, I've seen kids in their dad's carport build absolutely INSANE cars with incredible talent. I know grassroots guys that can fabricate amazing things in their garage. I've done stuff for cheap that people like you say would take tens of thousands of dollars to do.

Whether the OP has the fabrication skills or not, I'm telling you that immideately saying it WILL cost tens of thousands of dollars to do EVEN if he can do it himself, is false. Period. and no, it's not an insult to professinal fabricators. It's in fact a credit to them. They are human and anything they can learn, anyone else can learn.

Did you follow the links to the Supra suspended Mustang? Did you see them cut and weld the entire Supra rear suspension supports into the Mustang? That car works well, is safe, and used the SAME fabrication skills this guy needs to get his project done. And it was done for dirt cheap.

As for more show than go, that's a subject for a separate thread. With an RB turbo engine, I'll bet the lighter Prelude, with rear drive only, will be quicker than an actual Skyline. That's plenty of GO. When I built my Ferrari Daytona replica, it was quicker than an original one at least to 100 mph, which is sufficient for a car that isn't supposed to be a race car. And of course, street rods, lowriders, etc, are about looking good, not racing. But I daresay THEY are valid forms of automotive expression.

Even though I doubt the original poster will ever come back, it's still an interesting concept to discuss, and maybe some people will learn from it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #30
fudge
let's fighting love

I wouldn't see much wrong with a project like this. I remebered seeing an R34 looking Integra which was called a Skytegra albeit it had iIntegra running parts. However would the RB engine be able to fit longitudinally into a Prelude's engine bay? Afterall it is a pretty long engine.