Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #31
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

All you'd have to do is cut the firewall a bit and put a new box in there. I've done it on a couple cars. Hell, a girl I know did something similar when putting a BMW V12 in a Datsun 240Z when building it into a 250 GTO replica...

Yes, she built the car. Welding, mechanical, painting.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #32
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

why would any one with any fabrication skills or any car knowledge ask for a R34 conversion kit for a prelude, i ask you that, this guy could not do an oil change by himself, you guys are seriously underestimating the size of this engine as well, sure if you really really wanted to do it it's possible but, this engine is so big and has so many things hanging of it that take up so much room Dropping an RB or not like dropping some old Hemi engine
DRFT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #33
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

It's not as big as that BMW V12...

Maybe some of us have more imagination AND experience than you. Ever consider that? Again, I doub't he'll ever come back and respond to this thread. So it's moved on to a discussion session on what it might take.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 AM   #34
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
It's not as big as that BMW V12...

Maybe some of us have more imagination AND experience than you. Ever consider that? Again, I doub't he'll ever come back and respond to this thread. So it's moved on to a discussion session on what it might take.
We've been over something like this before.. when I first started I had asked about a V8 into a Civic. I like these discussions, as they are not only entertaining, but knowledgeable (sp?).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #35
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

i have immigination, i have been part of many conversions and engin swaps, my 300ZX we blow the engine and had enough of it so we put an rb26bett in it, i have seen a 20b rotar go in an AE86, we have converted a 92 180SX, we put an RB in it then converted the front to an s15 front, we took a convertible silvia put a 180sx front on it and dropped a sr20det in it, i have immagination but i also have realism
Old 07-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #36
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFT-R
i have immagination but i also have realism

No, you don't. You have no clue about how to do things for very little money, you have no clue about what people are capable of in their carports and garages. You've barely nicked the surface of what's out there in the automotive realm, and have nothing but hatred and contempt for any car outside a narrow range of what you find "acceptable." You really don't know what hot rodders have been doing for decades, not just in your own area, but here in the states.

My buddy built this mid engine, RWD Civic using an Acura Legend drivetrain, home meade suspension arms, and a lot of hours in his garage:

You think my V8 RX7 was designed to have 400 lb ft of torque in it?

Here's another one:

Austin healy Sprite with a 478 cid Chrysler hemi.

Here's a link to the Durocco, twin engine Scirocco. Built in a garage for around $1800 total including cost of the car... http://www.durocco.com

How about this CRX?

Built for under $2000 total, including cost of the car. Notice the large Chevy V8 and RWD conversion? You think a Chevy V8 mounted longitudinally in a CRX is that much different in concept from an RB longitudinally mounted in a much larger Prelude?

Ok, here's a V8 in a Cavalier. Looks deceptively stock:

The Cavalier is a small FWD compact from the '80s. This guy built it into a RWD V8 car in his garage, himself. ALL of them are projects you or I could do for very little money. You want to be realistic? THESE took imagination to come up with, and the ability to ignore people like you who think it's "realistic" to say it's going to cost fifty grand to do. It's simply NOT. THAT'S what's real, not your "theory."

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #37
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
My buddy built this mid engine, RWD Civic using an Acura Legend drivetrain, home meade suspension arms, and a lot of hours in his garage:

All of those cars are amazing, I remember you posting that Civic here before (I think, lol), it just goes to show that anything is possible with a car!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #38
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
All of those cars are amazing, I remember you posting that Civic here before (I think, lol), it just goes to show that anything is possible with a car!

And it doesn't require barrels of money, either. Just some imagination and a willingness to actually do it, rather than slag it off.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #39
DRFT-R
CF Enthusiast

fine i have no imagination at all i will wait and see pics of this prelude skyline, why only question is why do people do this shit, i just seems like a waste of time to me, i would also love to see how many people have had grand plans and just anded up destroying a perfectly good car, i see your point yes it can probably be done and on the cheap but car companies spend so much time matching a car with an appropriate sized engine that suits the car why not just work of the base and see what you can do with it, (thats more of a question then a statement), there is just not as much of that kind of stuff in my scene your right
Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #40
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
fine i have no imagination at all i will wait and see pics of this prelude skyline, why only question is why do people do this shit, i just seems like a waste of time to me, i would also love to see how many people have had grand plans and just anded up destroying a perfectly good car, i see your point yes it can probably be done and on the cheap but car companies spend so much time matching a car with an appropriate sized engine that suits the car why not just work of the base and see what you can do with it, (thats more of a question then a statement), there is just not as much of that kind of stuff in my scene your right
People do it due to their passion for cars, they might not want to go and buy a car, they might also have a sense of pride when they produce something like this! Dont get me wrong, there's a fair share of idiots out there that do destroy their cars!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #41
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

Sonds like you think only humans working at car companies can build cars.

I'm putting a Lexus 4.0 DOHC V8 in my 1963 Mercury Comet, using a custom adapter to put a Supra manual transmission behind it. It'll have a custom frame, air ride suspension, and the like. Taking it from this:

to this:

I took this:

Painted it, put in this:

to create this:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/rex3.wmv

1.2 Gs laterally, low 12s in the quarter, and done for less than 4 grand total including original cost of the car. But it's "stupid" to you because it's not factory matched parts, and done for big dollars? You can't figure out the joy and passion of building something yourself and making it work?

I see. If it's not high dollar bolt-ons for a high dollar factory car, you can't figure out why people might actually enjoy it. More proof you really don't know much. I've posted NUMEROUS example of cars people have built for not much money, that work good, and are fun, enjoyable hobby projects. IT'S A F*CKING HOBBY! It's supposed to be fun, and that does NOT mean you HAVE to spend cubic boatloads of dollars, OR do things the way everyone else does. Some of us actually enjoy the hobby by doing things that aren't bolt-ons. The sense of accomplishment in seeing the finished project, and it's simply the joy of doing it, even if it never gets finished.

Yes, some people HAVE failed. They HAVE destroyed machines they bought by not really knowing what they are doing. But using that as a reason to denigrate all of these project cars is like saying driving is stupid for everyone because some people have died doing it wrong. Are you going to stop driving becaus some people who drive are idiots? I don't think so. Are you even going to say driving is bad because some people can't do it worth a crap? I think not. So why maintain that attitude about project cars like this? It's closed minded and ignorant, and that doesn't seem like it's a valuable goal.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #42
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Sorry, but I *had* to do this. This is NOT advertising, but posting a link to 11 pages of thread and a HUGE number of pictures is more effective than copy/pasting it all here.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1645997

This is a current project, being done by a 20 year old kid, who paid good money for the car and parts, but is an amateur at doing this. In fact, it's his first time fabricating. And it's STILL getting done. He's hoping to have less than $10k into it. *I* would have found teh same Prelude in non-running shape for a third of his price, to do the project from, saving about 3 grand right there. I also wouldnt' have paid $1500 foa bent RX7 rear end off Ebay, when i can get one I know is good from any number of sources for about $200 or less. or even a complete 2nd gen RX7 with suspension in non running form for less than $500. that woudl simplify the process as I'd use a section of the rear cut out to do it.

But, again, this shows that with imagination and determination, even a rank amateur can do a project like this and not break the bank. The original poster already has the car and the engine (supposedly) which would help things considerably (though, considering he still hasn't returned, I'm thinking that it's possible that he's full of it).

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 07-27-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #43
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
And it doesn't require barrels of money, either. Just some imagination and a willingness to actually do it, rather than slag it off.

You know you are right Chris, the only problem is that you need to have the talent to go along with the ambition. There are many people that have the drive but lack the other, I am just amazed at what you can do with car. I wish I could do the same, but that isn't my talent. Props

Quote:
when i can get one I know is good from any number of sources

That is another advantage that you have that others might not. Thruigh years of experience I would assume.

Last edited by Voda48 : 07-28-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #44
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
You know you are right Chris, the only problem is that you need to have the talent to go along with the ambition. There are many people that have the drive but lack the other, I am just amazed at what you can do with car. I wish I could do the same, but that isn't my talent. Props

For most bits in a car, fab skills can be learned relatively quickly. I mean, look at the work on the Prelude in the thread I linked to. Ambition and newly learned skill in a 20 year old kid attacking his first project. And it's working.

The point is, automatically discouraging the conceptualizing and desire due to thinking it can ONLY cost a lot of money is just silly. That isn't being a realist, only a naysayer.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #45
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
That is another advantage that you have that others might not. Thruigh years of experience I would assume.

All it takes is asking the right questions of people with the experience, and hanging out with people who have been doing this kind of stuff for years. they are all around. Go to a drag strip and talk to the low buck guys, or go to a street rod show and look for the low dollar hotrodders that actually do their own work. Spend time reading about projects like this on web sites like Grassroots Motorsports (considering they have an annual challenge to build a car for under the dollar figure corresponding to the year: this year it's $2006). Sources and knowledge are all around, and easy to tap into. Easier than when I was building my cars prior to the Internet...

www.midatlantic7s.com