Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
metallikat
CF Newbie

A/C issue; let it 'warm-up'???

its a 95 mercury tracer, 1.8L dohc, about 126k miles. a/c works, but it has to 'warm-up' or something first, especially on hot days...and it doesnt get as cold as it should i think. it feels like it maybe hits 60 degrees? nowhere near correct. anyway, i got out my recharge kit (yes, it is r-134a, from the factory) to test the pressure first, and on the money, 45 psi. any ideas what it may be? i know really nothing about A/C systems, so if anyone can tell me so i dont have to spend a fortune on some mechanic to tell me that i have a bad accumulator, or orifice tube, or evaporator..id like to know if this is something fairly easily recognizable in common cooling problems. thanks!
metallikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

When its hot outside, like it has been it will take a while to cool off a hot car that has been sitting in the sun all day. With it being an R134 system, I think you are pretty lucky you get it down to 60 degrees. To me, that sounds more than sufficient cooling.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
metallikat
CF Newbie

well i know most A/C systems are supposed to blow closer to around 45 degrees or less, from my understanding. i think theres a clogged expansion valve or accumulator...guess no one knows. oh well.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

is the larger line (low pressure) sweating? if it isn't, try charging it until it sweats (a little bit at a time). the low side pressure can be misleading...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
metallikat
CF Newbie

no, the low perssure side has never sweat to my recollection...i suppose i can try it...tho i dont want to get more than 65 psi.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

if it's hot inside the car, your low side pressure will be high... do you have any means of reading the high side pressure? is your cooling fan cycling on and off? just charge it until the low side sweats...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote