Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

What's New

To a particular request, here's what's new with me.

So, I've been away a couple weeks from the forum, and it's probably going to stay that way for a while. I'll be coming back sporadically, but not too much.

So why not? Because I just got a dream job. I'm working as a car salesman at a Ford dealership. It's hard work, but the money there is insane. Your pay is based directly off of your work. You work hard, you make ludicrous amounts of cash. You slack off, you make minimum wage. It's a cool life. There's a lot of statistics to remember, but it's a fun job.

Anybody want to know anything about the automotive sales trade, or just anything in particular?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
To a particular request, here's what's new with me.

So, I've been away a couple weeks from the forum, and it's probably going to stay that way for a while. I'll be coming back sporadically, but not too much.

So why not? Because I just got a dream job. I'm working as a car salesman at a Ford dealership. It's hard work, but the money there is insane. Your pay is based directly off of your work. You work hard, you make ludicrous amounts of cash. You slack off, you make minimum wage. It's a cool life. There's a lot of statistics to remember, but it's a fun job.

Anybody want to know anything about the automotive sales trade, or just anything in particular?

Yeah how did you, and how can I get a job at a Ford Dealership? Is age (18) a requirement? Experience?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
starscream0
CF Addict

my step- dad sells cars.... kinda stupid i think... cause he makes no more than the next guy
Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I'm working as a car salesman at a Ford dealership. It's hard work
It's a Ford thing, lol, jk. I sold windows for a living a couple of years ago, and believe me, they're the hardest things to sell because nobody wants them, the wages were purely commision based, too, no basic salary (even if the basic is mostly ridiculous anyway). Good luck though!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

How do I get you to bring down the price? Where do dealers rape people (options, interest rates)? Do you play the waiting game? How do you convince Chevy guy to buy Ford? What's the coolest car you've sold?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
How do I get you to bring down the price?
I know it's not my question lol, but we used to have the prices set higher than they should be, so as to have room to haggle, that was with one of the less reputable companies though, the better company I worked for really did offer a no obligation quotation, they relied more on their Reps personality and skill, to sell the items!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Bump, come on Godlaus, answer some questions.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 07-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
How do I get you to bring down the price? Where do dealers rape people (options, interest rates)? Do you play the waiting game? How do you convince Chevy guy to buy Ford? What's the coolest car you've sold?

Ford doesn't deal with educated people. We make most of our money on those ignorant enough to believe whatever we believe them. Walk in there with the invoice price, the KBB on your car, and offer them 500 over invoice. After walking through all of the rituals, (and don't fill out the credit app until after you buy the car), tell them that they paid X amount for the car before the rebates, and that you'll pay 500 over invoice. They'll accept. lastly, DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CAR. The reason why we're so eager to get you into the car is to get you to fall in love with it. It doesn't matter if it's a focus, fusion, or five hundred, as soon as people drive it, it's hard for them to let it go. So they buy for sticker. Don't fall in love, and shop around.

And Dealers really rape ignorant people. No joke, we've sold a 140 month LEASE before, and sold a focus that goes for 18k for 24k.

And I have yet to sell a "cool" car. The GT500s aren't in yet, and there aren't amyn mustang buyers that are there to actually buy.

To convince a chevy guy to buy ford, you outline how much is better, and all the small things. For example,

-The F-series is the best selling truck in america.
-The doors on the F-series are bolted directly to the frame, so there's no sagging, and you can actually hang from the doors ith no problem.
-Every single edge of metal on the F-series is rounded, so there's no possible way to cut yourself. Ford knows how to engineer their trucks. Chevh has tons of sharp edges on their sheet metal. Also, our metal is laser cut.
-Payload on the F-150 with the proper package is 3000, and towing a maximum of 8900.
-A bed that's bolted directly to the frame, unlike chevy, that won't squeek or move around.
-Fully enclosed tow hooks for durability and strength
-85% of maximum torque available at 1500rpm

Also, all F-150 buyers are repeat buyers, so you just need to tell them what's new. (Bolted down bed, personal safety system to save you $2,000, updated class IV towing package. New chrome 18" wheels and chromed bumpers with telescoping knockaround heated mirrors)

Quote:
cause he makes no more than the next guy
Then he's not a good salesman. The top salesman at our work makes over 150k a year. The worst makes minimum wage. It all depends on your work ethic and salesman quality.

Quote:
Yeah how did you, and how can I get a job at a Ford Dealership? Is age (18) a requirement? Experience?
18 is a requirement. It's 40-55 hour work weeks. Walk in, dressed professionally, and ask for an interview. Tell them that you're there to make a lot of money, and you'll do anything to make that money. Also, say that you'll be setting your life aside for this job.

Experience is a must at the larger ones if you don't have any sales experience.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ford doesn't deal with educated people. We make most of our money on those ignorant enough to believe whatever we believe them. Walk in there with the invoice price, the KBB on your car, and offer them 500 over invoice. After walking through all of the rituals, (and don't fill out the credit app until after you buy the car), tell them that they paid X amount for the car before the rebates, and that you'll pay 500 over invoice. They'll accept. lastly, DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CAR. The reason why we're so eager to get you into the car is to get you to fall in love with it. It doesn't matter if it's a focus, fusion, or five hundred, as soon as people drive it, it's hard for them to let it go. So they buy for sticker. Don't fall in love, and shop around.

And Dealers really rape ignorant people. No joke, we've sold a 140 month LEASE before, and sold a focus that goes for 18k for 24k.

And I have yet to sell a "cool" car. The GT500s aren't in yet, and there aren't amyn mustang buyers that are there to actually buy.

To convince a chevy guy to buy ford, you outline how much is better, and all the small things. For example,

-The F-series is the best selling truck in america.
-The doors on the F-series are bolted directly to the frame, so there's no sagging, and you can actually hang from the doors ith no problem.
-Every single edge of metal on the F-series is rounded, so there's no possible way to cut yourself. Ford knows how to engineer their trucks. Chevh has tons of sharp edges on their sheet metal. Also, our metal is laser cut.
-Payload on the F-150 with the proper package is 3000, and towing a maximum of 8900.
-A bed that's bolted directly to the frame, unlike chevy, that won't squeek or move around.
-Fully enclosed tow hooks for durability and strength
-85% of maximum torque available at 1500rpm

Also, all F-150 buyers are repeat buyers, so you just need to tell them what's new. (Bolted down bed, personal safety system to save you $2,000, updated class IV towing package. New chrome 18" wheels and chromed bumpers with telescoping knockaround heated mirrors)

Then he's not a good salesman. The top salesman at our work makes over 150k a year. The worst makes minimum wage. It all depends on your work ethic and salesman quality.

18 is a requirement. It's 40-55 hour work weeks. Walk in, dressed professionally, and ask for an interview. Tell them that you're there to make a lot of money, and you'll do anything to make that money. Also, say that you'll be setting your life aside for this job.

Experience is a must at the larger ones if you don't have any sales experience.

I see... well that defn isn't an option for me I don't believe lol, I'm starting college in awhile and I don't think I could cut a 40-55 hour work week. It would be nice to work at a Ford dealership... but I don't think they'd hire me.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Sorry to jump in on this late, but are you at all nervous about the Sales beating the Big 3 are taking all over the country, and what are your bosses saying or doing to boost company morale in light of that?
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Sorry to jump in on this late, but are you at all nervous about the Sales beating the Big 3 are taking all over the country, and what are your bosses saying or doing to boost company morale in light of that?

Nothing, really. We aren't really worried about it, seeing as how roughly a third of our business is loyal repeat, and our system sells cars the same day as the walk-in. Also, we're fairly relaxed and low-pressure compared to other comparable asian dealers. Not many people want to buy corollas when the salesman are assholes.
Regardless, we're one of the biggest dealers in the state, we don't have too many worries.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
JaneiR36
CF Freak

wow. That's fairly insulated from what I assumed to be the national dynamic. On the news, I saw new cars in the Big 3 show rooms tend to sit there almost three times longer than Hondas and Toyotas. Something like an average of 30 to 33 days for the imports and 70 to 80 days for American-made. It was pretty much a gloom and doom message, but you guys seem to be doing okay for yourselves.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

That would be a pretty fun job...There's like 7 or 8 dealerships within 5 miles of my house but I couldn't go for 2 more years and I haven't seen anybody under 20-something working there lol...

Now, my question is how much commission do you guys get?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
wow. That's fairly insulated from what I assumed to be the national dynamic. On the news, I saw new cars in the Big 3 show rooms tend to sit there almost three times longer than Hondas and Toyotas. Something like an average of 30 to 33 days for the imports and 70 to 80 days for American-made. It was pretty much a gloom and doom message, but you guys seem to be doing okay for yourselves.

Possibly, but there's no real worries flying around. We're still taking in roughly 4 million in gross profit every month.

I think we're actually increasing our profit over last year, too.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #15
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Now, my question is how much commission do you guys get?

Depends on the dealer. I get 25% of front-end gross profit.