Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
nate22590
CF Newbie

1986 honda accord question

Hi folks

I was thinking of buying a 1986 Honda Accord with manual transmission for 200$ but it needs the timing chain replaced and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it then replace the timing chain because i basically just need a commuter car.
nate22590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Personally, I'd pass. $200.00 is really cheap. I go by the saying, "You get what you pay for." There are those few that would probably be great for cheap, but if you need to rely on this car, I'd pass.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Personally, I'd pass. $200.00 is really cheap. I go by the saying, "You get what you pay for." There are those few that would probably be great for cheap, but if you need to rely on this car, I'd pass.
You're a little rich girl who gets new BMWs and Hondas given to you. Your opinion doesn't have any relevance here... Or anywhere else on this forum for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22590
Hi folks

I was thinking of buying a 1986 Honda Accord with manual transmission for 200$ but it needs the timing chain replaced and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it then replace the timing chain because i basically just need a commuter car.
If it needs the timing chain replaced, run for the hills. 1986 Accords (US and Canadian spec) all came with a 2.0l engine with a timing belt. If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

Quote:

cheap car or not, its a honda, itle run for ever... id say change the timing belt... its not a chain... i hope not anyways cuz as hobo said, "If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car"
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
cheap car or not, its a honda, itle run for ever... id say change the timing belt... its not a chain... i hope not anyways cuz as hobo said, "If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car"
How well did you think that out before you made a recommendation? Do you know why "it needs the timing chain (or belt as we've established) replaced"? If it's because it has broken, that engine as most Hondas, is interference. Can you say big bucks for an old car?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

no, i had just assumed that the timing chain haddent broken, due to the fact that he probably would have said it doesnt run due to a failure of that nature. i figured that since its a nineteeneightysix honda accord, perhaps the belt is rather stretched out and could probably go for replacing

Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
no, i had just assumed that the timing chain haddent broken, due to the fact that he probably would have said it doesnt run due to a failure of that nature. i figured that since its a nineteeneightysix honda accord, perhaps the belt is rather stretched out and could probably go for replacing
That's one of the problems with most of these extremely vague posts asking for help or advice. How can we make a reasonably educated guess with near zero information?

Old 07-23-2006, 04:05 AM   #8
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
That's one of the problems with most of these extremely vague posts asking for help or advice. How can we make a reasonably educated guess with near zero information?

cant really, no matter how hoard we try, itle never happen. most people come on souly to ask quick quickquestions and leave, not even taking the time to make sure they state it properly...

so how i deal with it, assume i know the direction theyre going... or just ignore it and look for some other thread to type in

Old 07-23-2006, 04:16 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

How many miles are on the car? 200 is pretty low for a Honda, even a beat to shit one.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
You're a little rich girl who gets new BMWs and Hondas given to you. Your opinion doesn't have any relevance here... Or anywhere else on this forum for that matter.

Excuse you but cars arent just given to me. I earn what I get.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Excuse you but cars arent just given to me. I earn what I get.
So how did you earn them? Did your pimp give them to you?

As I recall the story your mommy gave you the BMW and then your grandma gave you the Accord. Is that reasonably correct? What exactly did you do to earn about $60k worth of cars in about two weeks? Discover the cure for cancer? Broker world peace? No, what I said before is accurate and stands. But just for you, let me repeat is because I know you love the attention.

SPOILED LITTLE RICH BITCH.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
nate22590
CF Newbie

sorry vwhobo i didnt relaize wut i said. I meant timing belt. didnt mean to mix everyone else up sorry. I dont know much else about the car other then that it needs a timing belt replaced. thats all the guy said when i asked him about the car to buy. But i think ill pass i guess.
nate22590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #13
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Well we got the timing belt, water pump, and something else (Dad couldn't remember what) replaced on my '89 Accord for about $250. So if it's really just the timing belt, I'd say go for it. But for $200, I kinda doubt that's the only problem...

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
So how did you earn them? Did your pimp give them to you?

As I recall the story your mommy gave you the BMW and then your grandma gave you the Accord. Is that reasonably correct? What exactly did you do to earn about $60k worth of cars in about two weeks? Discover the cure for cancer? Broker world peace? No, what I said before is accurate and stands. But just for you, let me repeat is because I know you love the attention.

SPOILED LITTLE RICH BITCH.
If I was spoiled I'd have everything I want. But I dont, I have full time job just like the rest of you. I have to pay for my own horses and phone bills. I am not spoiled.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Oh don't ya'll start now.