Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
nate22590
CF Newbie
 
nate22590's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: white center, Washington
Posts: 4
1986 honda accord question

Hi folks

I was thinking of buying a 1986 Honda Accord with manual transmission for 200$ but it needs the timing chain replaced and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it then replace the timing chain because i basically just need a commuter car.
nate22590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****
 
SyntheticTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,128
Personally, I'd pass. $200.00 is really cheap. I go by the saying, "You get what you pay for." There are those few that would probably be great for cheap, but if you need to rely on this car, I'd pass.
__________________


Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Personally, I'd pass. $200.00 is really cheap. I go by the saying, "You get what you pay for." There are those few that would probably be great for cheap, but if you need to rely on this car, I'd pass.
You're a little rich girl who gets new BMWs and Hondas given to you. Your opinion doesn't have any relevance here... Or anywhere else on this forum for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22590
Hi folks

I was thinking of buying a 1986 Honda Accord with manual transmission for 200$ but it needs the timing chain replaced and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it then replace the timing chain because i basically just need a commuter car.
If it needs the timing chain replaced, run for the hills. 1986 Accords (US and Canadian spec) all came with a 2.0l engine with a timing belt. If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Personally, I'd pass. $200.00 is really cheap. I go by the saying, "You get what you pay for." There are those few that would probably be great for cheap, but if you need to rely on this car, I'd pass.

cheap car or not, its a honda, itle run for ever... id say change the timing belt... its not a chain... i hope not anyways cuz as hobo said, "If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car"
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
cheap car or not, its a honda, itle run for ever... id say change the timing belt... its not a chain... i hope not anyways cuz as hobo said, "If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car"
How well did you think that out before you made a recommendation? Do you know why "it needs the timing chain (or belt as we've established) replaced"? If it's because it has broken, that engine as most Hondas, is interference. Can you say big bucks for an old car?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
no, i had just assumed that the timing chain haddent broken, due to the fact that he probably would have said it doesnt run due to a failure of that nature. i figured that since its a nineteeneightysix honda accord, perhaps the belt is rather stretched out and could probably go for replacing
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
no, i had just assumed that the timing chain haddent broken, due to the fact that he probably would have said it doesnt run due to a failure of that nature. i figured that since its a nineteeneightysix honda accord, perhaps the belt is rather stretched out and could probably go for replacing
That's one of the problems with most of these extremely vague posts asking for help or advice. How can we make a reasonably educated guess with near zero information?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:05 AM   #8
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
That's one of the problems with most of these extremely vague posts asking for help or advice. How can we make a reasonably educated guess with near zero information?

cant really, no matter how hoard we try, itle never happen. most people come on souly to ask quick quickquestions and leave, not even taking the time to make sure they state it properly...

so how i deal with it, assume i know the direction theyre going... or just ignore it and look for some other thread to type in
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:16 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
How many miles are on the car? 200 is pretty low for a Honda, even a beat to shit one.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****
 
SyntheticTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You're a little rich girl who gets new BMWs and Hondas given to you. Your opinion doesn't have any relevance here... Or anywhere else on this forum for that matter.


.
Excuse you but cars arent just given to me. I earn what I get.
__________________


Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Excuse you but cars arent just given to me. I earn what I get.
So how did you earn them? Did your pimp give them to you?

As I recall the story your mommy gave you the BMW and then your grandma gave you the Accord. Is that reasonably correct? What exactly did you do to earn about $60k worth of cars in about two weeks? Discover the cure for cancer? Broker world peace? No, what I said before is accurate and stands. But just for you, let me repeat is because I know you love the attention.

SPOILED LITTLE RICH BITCH.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
nate22590
CF Newbie
 
nate22590's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: white center, Washington
Posts: 4
sorry vwhobo i didnt relaize wut i said. I meant timing belt. didnt mean to mix everyone else up sorry. I dont know much else about the car other then that it needs a timing belt replaced. thats all the guy said when i asked him about the car to buy. But i think ill pass i guess.
nate22590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #13
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Well we got the timing belt, water pump, and something else (Dad couldn't remember what) replaced on my '89 Accord for about $250. So if it's really just the timing belt, I'd say go for it. But for $200, I kinda doubt that's the only problem...
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****
 
SyntheticTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
So how did you earn them? Did your pimp give them to you?

As I recall the story your mommy gave you the BMW and then your grandma gave you the Accord. Is that reasonably correct? What exactly did you do to earn about $60k worth of cars in about two weeks? Discover the cure for cancer? Broker world peace? No, what I said before is accurate and stands. But just for you, let me repeat is because I know you love the attention.

SPOILED LITTLE RICH BITCH.
If I was spoiled I'd have everything I want. But I dont, I have full time job just like the rest of you. I have to pay for my own horses and phone bills. I am not spoiled.
__________________


Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Oh don't ya'll start now.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.