Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
97prelude
CF Newbie

second gear syncro shot... whats my best option

It will be atleast 10 hours of labor to get it fixed which will come to about 1200 with parts. Should I just keep an eye out for a used transmition? This is my first 5 speed so I have no idea what my best option is. only second gear has an issue and I have actually been able to avoid second gear pretty well. It still shifts into second but if i am going over 10 mph it will grind. It will still catch though as long as im not going too fast. Eventually second gear will just burn out according to the mechanic which i believe because like I said i dont know anything about this. I h ave a 97 prelude which actually has a brand new transmition replaced only 10 thousand miles ago. Another reason im reluctant to trash it.
97prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

I would try looking for a transmission in a junkyard.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
97prelude
CF Newbie

But how do I know if that transmition is any good? Wont I not know until its installed. Instalation is a big job too so I dont want to spend all the money on one that isnt any good. What do I look for?
97prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97prelude
But how do I know if that transmition is any good? Wont I not know until its installed. Instalation is a big job too so I dont want to spend all the money on one that isnt any good. What do I look for?
You wont know, however most scrapyards give you a couple of weeks garentee on parts, they do here anyway. If you can find out the history of the car it's coming out of, even better, but there's gonna be a risk in buying from a scrappy anyway. I got a Gearbox for my uncles Vauxhall Cavalier from a Scrapyard a few years ago, it cost me 50, whereas a recon unit would have cost nearer 500!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote