Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Garret
CF Newbie

1966 Mustang

Hey All, I'm needing some help on Identifying what engine I have in a 1966Mustang I bought 2 years ago. The person I bought it from, thought it came out of a 1976 Granada. But I now know that's incorrect, because they had electronic egnition in those. This has points and a condensor. My son and I are trying to do some basic tune-up stuff, with a timing and dwell meter. It's a 6 cylinder. Can't find any other numbers to run on the Internet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot on the engine.

GARRET
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
thefonz
CF Addict

Not sure how much help here. Some have an engine serial # on top of the block near the crankcase breather pipe (front left side)
1972 seems to be the last year for the 170 cu.in. and 1975 was the first year for electronic ign.

Straight from the book, here is some very limited info for engine identification:
1964-1970 The basic engine in most intermediate cars is the six cylinder. in 1962 it was available in a 170 cu.in. and a 200 cu.in. size, each with four main bearings.

In 1965 the 200 cu.in. gained three additional main bearings, and the two engines have changed little since. Both are of simple conventional design and have intake manifolds that are integral with the cylinder head. In 1969, a long stroke version, the 250 cu.in., appeared. Other than its greater power there is little to distinguish this engine from its predecessors.

Maybe someone else can tell you how to tell the difference.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

get us some casting numbers if you can... the points and condenser setup just means someone switched the distributor w/ the mustang's original most likely... if it's a 76, the casting number will likely start w/ "D6...."

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote