Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Ronny
CF Newbie

Change of Alternator '96 Civic

As stated in a previous thread, I tried starting my vehicle after months of it standing still without it so much as being turned on. It's been close to 6 months if I am not mistaken. It went through a few snow-falls.

It wouldnt start and made a loud metal grating metal sound. I towed it to a mechanic and he told me that it was the alternator. He said when he removed the belt from the alternator (disengaging it) he could get the car started and running, although he did not leave it running for too long.

He says it will take 2 to 3 hours to get it out, which, at 72/hr labor cost is quite high. And an alternator for 280 for Honda or something 50 to 60 bucks cheaper for an aftermarket replacement.

My questions are..
1.Would an alternator "lock up" after being still for that long?
2.Does this seem like it would take that long to change an alternator?
3.Is the total estimated cost (400 to 500 dollars depending on the alternator and repair time) seem right?
96k Miles
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
As stated in a previous thread, I tried starting my vehicle after months of it standing still without it so much as being turned on. It's been close to 6 months if I am not mistaken. It went through a few snow-falls.

It wouldnt start and made a loud metal grating metal sound. I towed it to a mechanic and he told me that it was the alternator. He said when he removed the belt from the alternator (disengaging it) he could get the car started and running, although he did not leave it running for too long.

He says it will take 2 to 3 hours to get it out, which, at 72/hr labor cost is quite high. And an alternator for 280 for Honda or something 50 to 60 bucks cheaper for an aftermarket replacement.

My questions are..
1.Would an alternator "lock up" after being still for that long?
2.Does this seem like it would take that long to change an alternator?
3.Is the total estimated cost (400 to 500 dollars depending on the alternator and repair time) seem right?
1. Possibly, but if it did it was probably on the way out anyway.

2. I only wish I could get that time to R&R a Civic alternator.

3. I make it a point NOT to give quotes for other shops due to the difference in parts prices, labor rates, etc. However, if he can do it for that price and gaurantee the work the price is reasonable. Make sure you get all new belts installed while he's there. Even though you'll have to pay a little extra for the parts, the labor will be the same.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Ronny
CF Newbie

with a litle research i can see his mark up on the alternator is substantial. New belts would make sense. I opted for an aftermarket alternator (although he hasnt done anything to it yet, so that can change theoretically)

But this ithe FIRST step, I am scared of other things that may come up that are going to make this thing a 1k deal. I imagine a new battery should also be in order. There was a seperate throttle problem which could be more..

Cost is an issue with me and I am already ****ed.
96k Miles
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
with a litle research i can see his mark up on the alternator is substantial. New belts would make sense. I opted for an aftermarket alternator (although he hasnt done anything to it yet, so that can change theoretically)

But this ithe FIRST step, I am scared of other things that may come up that are going to make this thing a 1k deal. I imagine a new battery should also be in order. There was a seperate throttle problem which could be more..

Cost is an issue with me and I am already ****ed.
Then maybe you should unload the car as is and ride the bus. BTW, your Civic has a 1.6, not a 1.3.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote