Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
warlike symbol
CF Newbie

'98 eclipse

i own a 98 eclipse gst (its over rated sometimes :/) and im running into some problems with it. such as when i go over gravel or bumps i hear a clunking sound. i took it to midas to get it looked at and he said the REAR control arm was going out and that i needed it replaced soon. so i then took it to the guy who normally does everything on my car and had him make sure it -really- was going out, etc. he said there wasnt a problem but to call my dealership and check on a recall, i did and it had already been done on my car. so i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this problem or if someone could point me in the right direction as to what kind of questions to ask my mech.

sorry this is so long and if i posted it in the wrong place, its my first time

amanda
warlike symbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

It doesn't need to be a common problem for it to happen. Sometimes things break.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

Can you be more specific on where the noise is coming from under the car, or is it an overwhelming noise that is really loud and hard to pinpoint?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
warlike symbol
CF Newbie

yes, it almost sounds like its coming from right under the drivers side. you can still hear it on the passenger side but its not AS loud.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

Arrow Front Control Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlike symbol
yes, it almost sounds like its coming from right under the drivers side. you can still hear it on the passenger side but its not AS loud.

Sounds like the FRONT control arm to me. The joint is probally worn out. I would go and get it checked out again.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by 05BlackWRX : 08-24-2006 at 10:30 PM.
05BlackWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
warlike symbol
CF Newbie

yea, thanks for your input. i'll go see if they can do a more in depth check with it.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:22 AM   #7
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

Quote:
yea, thanks for your input. i'll go see if they can do a more in depth check with it.

Let us know how it goes
Old 08-25-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BlackWRX
Sounds like the FRONT control arm to me. The joint is probally worn out. I would go and get it checked out again.

Hope this helped.
Quote:
Pay absolutely no attention to anything this meathead tells you. He knows nothing about cars except that his "friend" is 57 years old and works on them. He isn't even aware of proper terminology for the parts he's telling you are bad.

It's entirely possible that the rear upper control arm bushings or the lower control arm ball joint (maybe both) is going away. It's a fairly common problem on Eclipses to see the ball joint go bad because it's sealed at the factory and can't be lubricated. Because of the way it's constructed, the ball joint/lower control arm have to be replaced as a unit.

More to the point, you seem to have the sound isolated side to side, how about front to rear? Obviously, if you have an abnormal noise, you have some sort of problem. Because of that, you need to put the opinion of your "mechanic" in the trash can along with that of Mr KnowNothing above. On the other hand, Midas is not known for having the sharpest techs around but at least they think they've isolated the problem which is a step in the right direction.

Have you taken the car to a real technician to be diagnosed? Although you might think your getting a better deal with shadetree mechanics and places that offer free inspections, most of the time you're money ahead to have someone who's trained and qualified make the call and fix it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 AM   #9
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Pay absolutely no attention to anything this meathead tells you. He knows nothing about cars except that his "friend" is 57 years old and works on them. He isn't even aware of proper terminology for the parts he's telling you are bad.

It's entirely possible that the rear upper control arm bushings or the lower control arm ball joint (maybe both) is going away. It's a fairly common problem on Eclipses to see the ball joint go bad because it's sealed at the factory and can't be lubricated. Because of the way it's constructed, the ball joint/lower control arm have to be replaced as a unit.

More to the point, you seem to have the sound isolated side to side, how about front to rear? Obviously, if you have an abnormal noise, you have some sort of problem. Because of that, you need to put the opinion of your "mechanic" in the trash can along with that of Mr KnowNothing above. On the other hand, Midas is not known for having the sharpest techs around but at least they think they've isolated the problem which is a step in the right direction.

Have you taken the car to a real technician to be diagnosed? Although you might think your getting a better deal with shadetree mechanics and places that offer free inspections, most of the time you're money ahead to have someone who's trained and qualified make the call and fix it.

ooo...Back to "combat ignorance"...lol, you are so pathetic. So it is not the Front Suspension control arm I speak of? That is an incorrect term? Why don't we wait till she gets her second opinion and see who is correct? I agree she should take her car to a real technician and that the ball joints on eclipses get worn out easily...but thats about it. The *recall*that the lady was referring to was most likely that of the lower rear control arm which was claimed to have been replaced. If this is true, and the noise is side to side, the front control arm and/or ball joint would be a logical explanation.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:23 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ooo...Back to "combat ignorance"...lol, you are so pathetic. So it is not the Front Suspension control arm I speak of? That is an incorrect term? Why don't we wait till she gets her second opinion and see who is correct? I agree she should take her car to a real technician and that the ball joints on eclipses get worn out easily...but thats about it. The *recall*that the lady was referring to was most likely that of the lower rear control arm which was claimed to have been replaced. If this is true, and the noise is side to side, the front control arm and/or ball joint would be a logical explanation.
Yes, combat ignorance... And boy did I find the biggest ignoramus of them all. The recall that you pretend to be aware of, NHSTA #00V421001, covers only the front lower ball joint. So I guess that once again you've proven that no matter how hard I try, igorance and stupidity will never be entirely eradicated. You are truly a world class moron.

Is that "Barney simple" enough for you? Go crawl back under your rock.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 08-25-2006, 04:48 AM   #11
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Yes, combat ignorance... And boy did I find the biggest ignoramus of them all. The recall that you pretend to be aware of, NHSTA #00V421001, covers only the front lower ball joint. So I guess that once again you've proven that no matter how hard I try, igorance and stupidity will never be entirely eradicated. You are truly a world class moron.

Is that "Barney simple" enough for you? Go crawl back under your rock.

NHTSA Recall ID: 00V421001

Mitsubishi ECLIPSE 1998 (98)

Mitsubishi Recall Campaign No.:

Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Recall Date (Y/M):2000/12

Defect: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE RUBBER BOOTS ON THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION WERE DAMAGED DURING ASSEMBLY, DIRT AND WATER CAN INTRUDE. ALSO, MMC HAS ADDED THE POTENTIAL OF LEAKING MOISTURE, WHICH CAN CAUSE THE BALL STUD TO CORRODE.

Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT TO SEPARATE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH. THIS CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES MMC'S PREVIOUS SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN, SEE 99V-066.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT FOR WEAR. BALL JOINTS THAT EXHIBIT WEAR BEYOND THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE REPLACED WITH NEWLY DESIGNED LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS. BALL JOINTS THAT ARE WITHIN THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE CLEANED AND A SPECIAL SEALANT WILL BE APPLIED TO PREVENT INTRUSION OF MOISTURE...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:55 AM   #12
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

and never said it was the recall, said it was most likely...You think an engine is a drivetrain...you were right about something but in the end, you loose. lol
Old 08-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
NHTSA Recall ID: 00V421001

Mitsubishi ECLIPSE 1998 (98)

Mitsubishi Recall Campaign No.:

Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Recall Date (Y/M):2000/12

Defect: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE RUBBER BOOTS ON THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION WERE DAMAGED DURING ASSEMBLY, DIRT AND WATER CAN INTRUDE. ALSO, MMC HAS ADDED THE POTENTIAL OF LEAKING MOISTURE, WHICH CAN CAUSE THE BALL STUD TO CORRODE.

Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT TO SEPARATE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH. THIS CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES MMC'S PREVIOUS SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN, SEE 99V-066.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT FOR WEAR. BALL JOINTS THAT EXHIBIT WEAR BEYOND THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE REPLACED WITH NEWLY DESIGNED LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS. BALL JOINTS THAT ARE WITHIN THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE CLEANED AND A SPECIAL SEALANT WILL BE APPLIED TO PREVENT INTRUSION OF MOISTURE...
And that supports your statement, how?

Quote:
The *recall*that the lady was referring to was most likely that of the lower rear control arm which was claimed to have been replaced. If this is true, and the noise is side to side, the front control arm and/or ball joint would be a logical explanation.
It seems to me that if the recall was acomplished, then by your logic, the noise COULDN'T be coming from the front ball joint.

This is a fine kettle of fish you've gotten yourself into again. I'm going to sleep now, that'll give you at least six hours to think up a witty comeback and develop an unbelievable excuse. better get to bed yourself, they tell me your hero comes on mighty early in the morning.

You're so very photogenic.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:01 AM   #14
05BlackWRX
CF Newbie

The girl said it was coming from the front...not me but that doesn't matter. In the end, you still loose.

FYI. You shouldn't post pictures of yourself online...You have no idea what those sexual predators might do to your llittle *ss hole. LOL. You get your jollys off making a point...wow...mature...real mature...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
The girl said it was coming from the front...not me but that doesn't matter. In the end, you still loose.

FYI. You shouldn't post pictures of yourself online...You have no idea what those sexual predators might do to your llittle *ss hole. LOL. You get your jollys off making a point...wow...mature...real mature...
Well, not exactly jerkoff. What "the girl said" was;

Quote:
i own a 98 eclipse gst (its over rated sometimes :/) and im running into some problems with it. such as when i go over gravel or bumps i hear a clunking sound. i took it to midas to get it looked at and he said the REAR control arm was going out and that i needed it replaced soon. so i then took it to the guy who normally does everything on my car and had him make sure it -really- was going out, etc. he said there wasnt a problem but to call my dealership and check on a recall, i did and it had already been done on my car. so i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this problem or if someone could point me in the right direction as to what kind of questions to ask my mech...
And;

Quote:
Nowhere... NOWHERE, does she refer to which end of the car the noise emanates from, only which side. That's why I made it a point to ask. That's what you do when you actually know something about cars, how they work and how to repair them.

ITEM: For everyone on this forum who's entire automotive experience come from playing with their Hot Wheels and Tonka trucks, the "drivers side" is on the left of the car (in most countries) NOT in the front. Carry on, stupid people.

Now as a totally predictable little imbecile, I'm sure that once again you're going to attempt to cover your idiocy with another mindless post that will only display how desperate you are to be taken seriously. Have fun. I for one will no longer help you to hijack this young lady's thread. You are still a miniscule pimple on the ass of Car-Forums. Please do us all a favor and never post here again.

P.S. Everytime you use the FU smiley, you lose 5 IQ points. You currently have one use left before you become a house plant.