Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
I got fired

I guess I'll do some venting even though im not really angry. Well I work at a movie theatre and about a few months back my manager started to pick on me. I got into pleanty of agruments with him and he kept writing me up for stupid things. I filed for a harrassment claim agains him and the company did an investigation on "everything" and so a month and a week go by of investigating and they call me in today at the end of my shift and they have a talk with me. They said during the investigation they found out that I was doing things that wasn't appropriate for the company and decided to fire me instead of doing anything to the manager that was harrassing me.....good thing justice prevailed. Their loss I suppose, I'm not trying to brag but I was tied for best worker there if not the best. so yea thats my story kinda lame but oh well.
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
damn man that sucks


can't go to the labour board or anything like that for an unjustified dismissal?
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
You know what I realized when I got fired from the liquor store, it's for the better. If indeed you are as hard working and a good worker as you claim to be, you'll find a better job in notime.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Yeah people shit on the grunts that do the work. One of my managers sits and plays Mario Kart 64 while he is on the clock, as well as flirt w/ females..... dont know how this stuff ever gets unnoticed but it does.
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
Yeah people shit on the grunts that do the work. One of my managers sits and plays Mario Kart 64 while he is on the clock, as well as flirt w/ females..... dont know how this stuff ever gets unnoticed but it does.


the same manager I filed the claim about came to work with a hangover and slept in the office for 4 hours, he's also stole money from registers they just have no proof on video that they found. I don't think I'll miss the job, but I'll miss all the friends that I made.


I guess it wasn't an unjustified dismissal because I did do the acts more correctly "act" but it was 7 months ago so I don't know why they would fire me for it now. I guess they were looking for a reason to fire me since im the only person to ever challenge his job since everyone else who works their is afraid or intimidated by him. haha damn me and my big mouth, I'd even tell the president of the U.S. off if he said some stupid shit to me.
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 AM   #6
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
A lot of life is just ass-kissing. If I came across someone like that, in a job like that, I'd just quit. You won't be able to win. They aren't gonna compromise their company's reputation for the sake of a single employee...
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****
 
SyntheticTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,128
Sorry about your job. If you arent very angry, it must not have been too good a job. You'll find a better one. Chin up.
__________________


Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
That's appauling. I'm assuming the Cinema was a large chain of them? If so, they should know better, I'd appeal myself, not really because of the job, but because it would make you feel better! I'm sure hobo would know about the ins and outs of this sort of thing, given how he's an employer himself. I once got sacked from a similar job, the reason, as with yours, seemed like small fry compared to what the other staff were up to! But as with your scenario, you have to prove it!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
You should try to embarass the company and make a huge deal out of it, see if you can land yourself a settlement cheque
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Its a sign for you to move on to bigger, and better things in life. You were overqualified for the job
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:14 AM   #11
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
the same manager I filed the claim about came to work with a hangover and slept in the office for 4 hours, he's also stole money from registers they just have no proof on video that they found. I don't think I'll miss the job, but I'll miss all the friends that I made.




Wrestling a hog will result in both of you getting dirty, the difference is that the hog likes it.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
well bigger and better things arn't really around the corner. School takes up a big sum of my time so I still can only work a low paying job. I talked to my friends sister and I might land a job pretty soon. Its 25 cent pay cut, but working enough hours and its a big significance. I think I'll drop the whole thing. My friends and I were joking around like I should just walk to the mall from the parking lot when he leaves just to scare the shit out of him. Other people talked about f'ing his car up, he can thinks its me but then again everyone who works there basically hates him and has already messed with his car enough so he parks on the other side of the theatre so they can't find it.

as for the hog, well I like getting dirty. You have more fun when you don't have to worry about little things like staying clean.
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Hmm... let me think about this one carefully. Firing and re-interviewing to replace a manager or replacing the $6/hr gopher with whom he's having issues... hmm, that's a tough one! I don't think they did an investigation at all. They simply huddled up and tried to figure out how much of a risk it'd be to get rid of you amid the allegations you made. Apparently, they decided it wasn't too much of a risk. If you truly want to make them pay, find some sleazy lawyer who has too much time on his hands and have him tell you his opinion about whether your rights were violated. If there's enough possible money in it, he may sue their asses without any up front fees and you could stand to make a buck or two

It's funny, I have a friend that says you have to be conscientious about entering your time the way HR wants you to, don't piss off anyone at all, ever, etc. But the way I figure it, if HR has decided they want to get rid of you for any reason, they'll find some BS excuse to do so. The way I figure it, I don't want to work in an establishment in which I'm not wanted, anyway. I derive a great deal of my job satisfaction by going into work everyday and being comfortable in the work I do and in my surroundings. Unless my priorities were to change drastically, if that daily comfort level were to take a nose dive I am OUT the door!
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Hmm... let me think about this one carefully. Firing and re-interviewing to replace a manager or replacing the $6/hr gopher with whom he's having issues... hmm, that's a tough one! I don't think they did an investigation at all. They simply huddled up and tried to figure out how much of a risk it'd be to get rid of you amid the allegations you made. Apparently, they decided it wasn't too much of a risk. If you truly want to make them pay, find some sleazy lawyer who has too much time on his hands and have him tell you his opinion about whether your rights were violated. If there's enough possible money in it, he may sue their asses without any up front fees and you could stand to make a buck or two

It's funny, I have a friend that says you have to be conscientious about entering your time the way HR wants you to, don't piss off anyone at all, ever, etc. But the way I figure it, if HR has decided they want to get rid of you for any reason, they'll find some BS excuse to do so. The way I figure it, I don't want to work in an establishment in which I'm not wanted, anyway. I derive a great deal of my job satisfaction by going into work everyday and being comfortable in the work I do and in my surroundings. Unless my priorities were to change drastically, if that daily comfort level were to take a nose dive I am OUT the door!

I agree that they didn't do an investigation really. I know that they did more of an investigation on me to find something that I did wrong and not him. I don't agree that you should walk out the door because your comfort level isn't where you want it to be. You have to understand when I was working and going to school I only had about 10 hours of free time minus the time it takes me to do my hw and a nap just to keep functioning the next day in a sufficient manner. So some of us have the time and money to just quit and try to find a new job and some of us don't. Well unfortunatly now I have to much time to do everything.
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:06 AM   #15
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Yeah...., I'm just not buying it. If your job meant as much to you as you say it did, you would have kissed all the ass you had to in order to keep it! Can't have your cake and eat it too, Mister, so I hope you enjoyed telling off your big, bad boss!
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.