Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Ferny
CF Newbie

First car?

Alright I'm getting my licence this year and will have about $12,000 to buy a car that I saved over the years. I really wanted to get a 99-04 mustang GT but after doing a quick online quote on allstate I foun insurance was twice as much as I could afford. Now I was cool with settling with a slower car and was starting to look around and then my friend goes and buys a 1999 Mustang GT off an ad that I was seriously considering buying from. This just sparked something in me to get a nicer car again and after looking I found a 1997 Porsche Boxster for $10,500 and also cheaper than my sisters Jetta to insure. Anyway before I get to serious about anything is their anything else I should look into? I don't really need anything faster than the mustang just something that has a bit of power to it but has prestige behind it.

Last edited by Ferny : 08-31-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Of course getting a not so sporty car will slightly lower your insurance, but whichever way you look at it, a teenage, newly licensed driver will get assaulted with high prices no matter what you buy. My advice would be to either research a lot and obtain some discounts (good grades, etc) or get registered as an "occasional driver" under your parents.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

insurance will be a butt for you, its about 3 grand for me, i drive an 01 celica gt, and am 17, the whole thing where ur parent is the primary driver of ur car, if they have one crappy car, then you can be the primary driver of it, and drive the nice car that you get, unfortunately, for me, my mom has a brand new altima and my dad has a 01 mustang, so mine would be the cheapest out of the 3
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Pythias2050
Banned

I'm not totally sure about all that, I am on liability yes, and with Nationwide, my grandmother's provider, but I only pay 250$ a month for both my 88 and 95 Mustang. Both V8's and one is convertible.
Pythias2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias2050
I'm not totally sure about all that, I am on liability yes, and with Nationwide, my grandmother's provider, but I only pay 250$ a month for both my 88 and 95 Mustang. Both V8's and one is convertible.
It also matters where you live............
NYC will cost more to insure someone than lets say Someone living in the middle of texas
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Pythias2050
Banned

And I live in Maryland, if I still lived in Ohio I'd prolly be looking at 150-175 a month, MD most surely isn't the cheapest.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Yeah, that's just what this world needs...another kid who JUST GOT HIS LICENSE buying a sports car to beat his friend.

If the seller is asking $10,500 the car probably has some decent mileage on it, and the car is almost 10 years old. I can't speak from experience with Porsches, but I'm betting the repair bill on that car will be more than the $ you'd be saving on insurance buy buying it over the Mustang.

Please, buy a somewhat practical car, laugh at your friend when he wrecks the Mustang, and save your $.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Yeah, that's just what this world needs...another kid who JUST GOT HIS LICENSE buying a sports car to beat his friend.

If the seller is asking $10,500 the car probably has some decent mileage on it, and the car is almost 10 years old. I can't speak from experience with Porsches, but I'm betting the repair bill on that car will be more than the $ you'd be saving on insurance buy buying it over the Mustang.

Please, buy a somewhat practical car, laugh at your friend when he wrecks the Mustang, and save your $.
And his life. A fast car as a first car isnt the best thing to do...just words of wisdom
Old 09-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Pythias2050
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
And his life. A fast car as a first car isnt the best thing to do...just words of wisdom

All depends on the person, an automobile is only as dangerous as it's driver. I knwo some people who, first car, if put in something like even a corvette, would be fine, because they don't have that kind of "Need for speed", while others, when put in a Pinto would find a way to loose control of it.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I'm 18 with two BMWs and even my first car was a honda pilot. Learn the ways of the road first...at least don't drive fast!
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:21 AM   #11
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

theres nothing wrong with a sports car for a first car,I got one, not to compete with any of my friends though, the driving fast thing could be different depending where you live, i live in dickson tennessee, not too many people, everyone goes 15 over the speed limit, so you have to do that pretty much, and theres so many roads with little traffic that you can drive like you want without being dangerous to others
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:39 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

True, but being young, and not very life experienced, its not easy to tell yourself "no" when you have a few hundred horses at your foot...and telling yourself that every day...Its just a move I wouldnt make...im on my 3rd car, and still I wont get anything powerful because money, and safety.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:33 AM   #13
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Some people have self control behind the wheel. When I had my first car at 16, I rarely slammed the pedal to the floor for a multitude of reasons. One definetly being gas. Even back then when gas was super cheap compared to today, its still tough for a kid with a minimum wage job to afford to pay for all that, especially since you'll want to drive alot.

Get a car you like or you'll be kicking yourself for it later.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
Ferny
CF Newbie

I like to think that I'm a responsible driver. I don't plan to do any racing unless I end up at a 1/4 mile track somewhere and I don't plan to even speed unless I'm out in the rural streets in my area and even then not so much as to where I have no control in an emergency, like a cow on the road or something. The only reason I want a nicer car is because I want to show off how hard I've been working for the last year and a half and it's just more fun driving a nicer car even when following laws strictly. So does anyone have an answer to my original question?
Ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

depends on location...example...cars tend to be cheaper in New York than say Philadelphia