Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Well, the ones I know had their husbands insist on that so that they would be "safe."

However, I can understand prefering an SUV to a mini-van. Mini-vans are rather boring, and IMO are an immediate statement that you no longer drive anything cool and live only for your family.
LOL you're right

Consumer ignorance. All cars are safe nowadays, due to federal safety regulations.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #32
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Tell me that again when you get into an accident with a BIG SUV in your sedan. All cars are required to be safe, but due to the weight of certain (many?) SUVs, accidents are just not an equal opportunity activity. Besides, just because regulations keep getting updated doesn't mean people do not drive old(er) cars that haven't been. My '96 Camry definitely feels like a TIN CAN. You may be braver than me, but I wouldn't want to get into a direct collission with an H2 Hummer!
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #33
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****
 
SyntheticTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
Just curious, but do you have an excuse for this one?
Yeah that's my Momma being pissed. Like the caption says.
__________________


Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #34
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Tell me that again when you get into an accident with a BIG SUV in your sedan. All cars are required to be safe, but due to the weight of certain (many?) SUVs, accidents are just not an equal opportunity activity. Besides, just because regulations keep getting updated doesn't mean people do not drive old(er) cars that haven't been. My '96 Camry definitely feels like a TIN CAN. You may be braver than me, but I wouldn't want to get into a direct collission with an H2 Hummer!

Yep. It's safe for the driver, not safe for everyone else.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #35
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Meaning not "all" cars are safe nowadays...
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #36
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Meaning not "all" cars are safe nowadays...
I don't really agree. Most mid-size SUVs weigh about the same as full-size sedans. For example,

Infinity FX35 weighs almost 200 lbs less than a BMW 750i. Basically, most cars on the road are about or around the same average weight I think. Yeah, there are really heavy SUVs, like GMC yukon xl (like 5800 lbs), but then again, there's also things like semis and delivery trucks. So I suppose it doesn't really matter ultimately. There's not much that can be done about it.

Only thing that freaks me out about SUVs is that they are liable to topple over. I see it all the time around here.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #37
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Cool. That's definitely food for thought and prompts me to do some more research to prove or disprove your opinion.

I just didn't like what seemed to be your style of twisting previously made statements to make them "fit" even though you're now saying something different. I'm guessing I'm not being very clear but let's just say your post before this one just rubbed me the wrong way and I'm glad you've taken the opportunity to clarify your stance.

I like this article:

SUVs: Escalating Risks on the Highway

It's easy to read, summarizes and explains how I feel about SUV / sedan crashes, and actually addresses the issue of how SUVs with comparable weights to sedans might still pose an increased danger when the two collide.

I'm not sure exactly when the article was written, though. The most recent reference it uses was written in 1999, and Electronic stability control & I'm sure all kinds of design improvements have been introduced since then.

Speaking of electronic stability control which apparently now comes standard in many recently manufactured SUVs, I think it saved my life last year because I pulled this stunt in Atlanta while driving a Ford Explorer where I cut across five lanes @ 85 mph on I-20 trying to get off on the I-285 exit (towards the airport). I stomped on the breaks just before hitting the exit -- one of those curved around types -- and while the car kinda shook a little, it didn't topple over or anything. When I got back home Ford aired a commercial detailing this [then] new technology. I sure felt pretty good. Along with some additional research, if I ever were in the market for an SUV, I'd probably go with the Explorer. Generally, with my driving habits, though, I'd stll prefer a sedan.

Last edited by JaneiR36 : 09-05-2006 at 09:02 AM.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #38
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Things like Electronic Stability Control and ABS allow the average driver to be even dumber IMO. Learning proper driving technique is better than any new-fangled safety doo-dad on the market. If you know how to brake properly in a snowstorm, not only will ABS be completely uneccisary, but it will actually become annoying. If you really need E.S.C. or similiar systems, you were probably driving like an idiot, and shouldn't have your license in the first place.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #39
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Cool. That's definitely food for thought and prompts me to do some more research to prove or disprove your opinion.

I just didn't like what seemed to be your style of twisting previously made statements to make them "fit" even though you're now saying something different. I'm guessing I'm not being very clear but let's just say your post before this one just rubbed me the wrong way and I'm glad you've taken the opportunity to clarify your stance.

I like this article:

SUVs: Escalating Risks on the Highway

It's easy to read, summarizes and explains how I feel about SUV / sedan crashes, and actually addresses the issue of how SUVs with comparable weights to sedans might still pose an increased danger when the two collide.

I'm not sure exactly when the article was written, though. The most recent reference it uses was written in 1999, and Electronic stability control & I'm sure all kinds of design improvements have been introduced since then.

Speaking of electronic stability control which apparently now comes standard in many recently manufactured SUVs, I think it saved my life last year because I pulled this stunt in Atlanta while driving a Ford Explorer where I cut across five lanes @ 85 mph on I-20 trying to get off on the I-285 exit (towards the airport). I stomped on the breaks just before hitting the exit -- one of those curved around types -- and while the car kinda shook a little, it didn't topple over or anything. When I got back home Ford aired a commercial detailing this [then] new technology. I sure felt pretty good. Along with some additional research, if I ever were in the market for an SUV, I'd probably go with the Explorer. Generally, with my driving habits, though, I'd stll prefer a sedan.

In my post before this, I was agreeing with you :P

I used to drive a honda pilot, and there is definitely a huge risk for toppling over, I used to get scared of it all the time!

I don't think I'll ever own an SUV again after that!
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #40
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Things like Electronic Stability Control and ABS allow the average driver to be even dumber IMO. Learning proper driving technique is better than any new-fangled safety doo-dad on the market. If you know how to brake properly in a snowstorm, not only will ABS be completely uneccisary, but it will actually become annoying. If you really need E.S.C. or similiar systems, you were probably driving like an idiot, and shouldn't have your license in the first place.

F.uck you too
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #41
Scolson
CF Enthusiast
 
Scolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Things like Electronic Stability Control and ABS allow the average driver to be even dumber IMO. Learning proper driving technique is better than any new-fangled safety doo-dad on the market. If you know how to brake properly in a snowstorm, not only will ABS be completely uneccisary, but it will actually become annoying. If you really need E.S.C. or similiar systems, you were probably driving like an idiot, and shouldn't have your license in the first place.

Sometimes you need to make a sudden manuever to get out of a bad situation. Driving like an ass? nah.
__________________
-Chuck Norris is not hung like a horse / horses are hung like Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris lost his virginity before his dad did.
-Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing at her and saying "booya".
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #42
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
True. The lady that was on the news a couple months back comes to mind. She was in her SUV on the highway and swerved because a car suddenly started changing lanes right beside her. The sudden jerk toppled the car over and it flipped 10 times. Should people like her experience such accidents just because there are reckless drivers out there? hrm...
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #43
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolson
Sometimes you need to make a sudden manuever to get out of a bad situation. Driving like an ass? nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanieiR36
Should people like her experience such accidents just because there are reckless drivers out there? hrm...

I'd like you to look carefully at my previous post:
Quote:
If you really need E.S.C. or similiar systems, you were probably driving like an idiot

Notice the PROBABLY? Yes, the occasional dead guy with a message written on his shirt who is on a plane carrying prison inmates gets thrown onto the hood of your car. Sometimes your sweet Corvette gets hooked on wire that is connected to an airplane and your ride gets all smashed and it's almost worth it because it looks really cool. I know that there are circumstances beyond our control.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #44
JaneiR36
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I'd like you to look carefully at my previous post:

Notice the PROBABLY? Yes, the occasional dead guy with a message written on his shirt who is on a plane carrying prison inmates gets thrown onto the hood of your car. Sometimes your sweet Corvette gets hooked on wire that is connected to an airplane and your ride gets all smashed and it's almost worth it because it looks really cool. I know that there are circumstances beyond our control.

If you know that there are circumstances beyond our control and that we may have to respond to them swiftly, what the hell's your point, then? You're comparing a once [never?] in a lifetime event to the fairly likely circumstance of having to do a sudden and skillful manuver to escape danger and potentially save your life. It's people like you with a lack of ability to learn and appreciate new things that block widespread knowledge and technological advancement. Tell me, should we all whip out our abacus because you can do your additions and subtractions without all "them fancy devices" nowadays or lose the calculators because you can do your long division on paper? If you're going to call people idiots, you'd better be packing more than your weak-ass, if not downright stupid argument.

What does it mean to "really" need a safety device, anyway? Is it like to really need it while rushing an injured person to the hospital? Or "really" need it like when dodging an object that has fallen from the back of a semi-truck?

Last edited by JaneiR36 : 09-07-2006 at 08:31 AM.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #45
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
If you know that there are circumstances beyond our control and that we may have to respond to them swiftly, what the hell's your point, then?
My point is that actually learning proper driving technique/driving safely is much more effective than these new safety devices. For example my sister recently bought a new (to her) car. She said ABS and some type of stabillity control were a must. I guess safety is a real concern of hers, except when she's going 15 mph over the limit on a wet road, or following ten feet behind an 18-wheeler on the highway, or when she's flipping through her cd's or eating while driving, or talking on the phone. She needs ABS so she can safely drive in a snow storm...but did she take a winter driving course held 10 miles from our house? No.

Quote:
You're comparing a once [never?] in a lifetime event to the fairly likely circumstance of having to do a sudden and skillful manuver to escape danger and potentially save your life.
It seems somebody has never seen ConAir, or just doesn't realize when a person isn't being serious.

Quote:
It's people like you with a lack of ability to learn and appreciate new things that block widespread knowledge and technological advancement.
And how exactly am I actually blocking it? Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I'm actually blocking anything. Who is actually stopping technological advancements becuase they don't like them? People "like me" (put in quotes because I feel I'm generally open to new ideas) are Amish. Damn those Amish bastards, if it weren't for them we'd have men on Mars by now.

Quote:
Tell me, should we all whip out our abacus because you can do your additions and subtractions without all "them fancy devices" nowadays or lose the calculators because you can do your long division on paper?
Calculators are great, I use them everyday. But if you use a calculator without actually knowing what you're doing and rely on it as a crutch, perhaps you should whip out the old abacus.

Quote:
If you're going to call people idiots, you'd better be packing more than your weak-ass, if not downright stupid argument.
Once again I have to send you back to my original post. I never called anyone an idiot. I said "driving like an idiot". And this from a person who "cut across five lanes @ 85 mph on I-20 trying to get off on the I-285 exit (towards the airport). I stomped on the breaks just before hitting the exit". Is cutting across five lanes while doing at least 20 mph over the speed limit just so you don't have to go a few minutes out of your way driving like an idiot? I think I was justified in using the phrase "driving like an idiot".

Quote:
What does it mean to "really" need a safety device, anyway? Is it like to really need it while rushing an injured person to the hospital? Or "really" need it like when dodging an object that has fallen from the back of a semi-truck?
Maybe you shouldn't have been following the semi-truck so closely. I don't really know how to answer your first question (I could ask you what does it mean from the back of "a" semi-truck), so I'll just try to clarify myself. When I said:
Quote:
If you really need E.S.C. or similiar systems, you were probably driving like an idiot, and shouldn't have your license in the first place.
I meant that if you are in a situation and you need E.S.C. or a similar system to control your vehicle, you likely got yourself into that situation by driving poorly (like an idiot). I'm not saying that you were defintely driving like an idiot, because sometimes shit happens.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.