Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #46
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
It seems somebody has never seen ConAir, or just doesn't realize when a person isn't being serious.
I got it.....great film too

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #47
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Quote:
My point is that actually learning proper driving technique/driving safely is much more effective than these new safety devices. For example my sister recently bought a new (to her) car. She said ABS and some type of stabillity control were a must. I guess safety is a real concern of hers, except when she's going 15 mph over the limit on a wet road, or following ten feet behind an 18-wheeler on the highway, or when she's flipping through her cd's or eating while driving, or talking on the phone. She needs ABS so she can safely drive in a snow storm...but did she take a winter driving course held 10 miles from our house? No.

Typical. You've got issues with your sister and rather than dealing with them are using them as an excuse for your lame generalizations.

Quote:
It seems somebody has never seen ConAir, or just doesn't realize when a person isn't being serious.

I actually have not.

Quote:
Calculators are great, I use them everyday. But if you use a calculator without actually knowing what you're doing and rely on it as a crutch, perhaps you should whip out the old abacus.

Perhaps you should go talk to your sister

Quote:
Once again I have to send you back to my original post. I never called anyone an idiot. I said "driving like an idiot". And this from a person who "cut across five lanes @ 85 mph on I-20 trying to get off on the I-285 exit (towards the airport). I stomped on the breaks just before hitting the exit". Is cutting across five lanes while doing at least 20 mph over the speed limit just so you don't have to go a few minutes out of your way driving like an idiot? I think I was justified in using the phrase "driving like an idiot".

What a coincidence! One post after my story you've suddenly got a comment about driving like an idiot, but hey, it has nothing to do with me. But wait, you were justified in your comments, now were you? Well, seeing as you're saying two different, if not opposite things, how about I just take my pick and go with the latter.

By the way, since you're so sure that you're justified in your comment, can you please tell me where I was going? Could you take another look in your crystal ball and tell me how heavy the traffic was, how long it would have taken to turn around and get back on track? Dazzle us, Mr. Judge, Jury and Executioner, I now know you have all the evidence.

Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't have been following the semi-truck so closely. I don't really know how to answer your first question (I could ask you what does it mean from the back of "a" semi-truck),

An object -- tire, log, etc -- that is knocked off a semi-truck moves at the speed at which it was moving initially, plus (or minus, depending on direction) the additional speed caused by the force of whatever caused it to get knocked off in the first place. Add to that the fact that vehicles behind the truck would most likely be heading towards the object. The distance between the two could get very short very quickly. Staying 50 to 100 feet back will improve your chances of avoiding collision but won't eliminate the need for quick action to avoid an object coming right at you. Action that could cause certain vehicles to topple right over. Multiple times.

Quote:

so I'll just try to clarify myself. When I said:

I meant that if you are in a situation and you need E.S.C. or a similar system to control your vehicle, you likely got yourself into that situation by driving poorly (like an idiot). I'm not saying that you were defintely driving like an idiot, because sometimes shit happens.

It was a pretty bold statement to make. Surely you're not surprised that you're being asked to back it up.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #48
JaneiR36
CF Freak

double post
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #49
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Typical. You've got issues with your sister and rather than dealing with them are using them as an excuse for your lame generalizations.
Whoa, I didn't realize Freud was in the house. Although I can see how it is easy to mistake somebody who has a problem with his sister for a person who was citing a personal experience to support an argument.

Quote:
What a coincidence! One post after my story you've suddenly got a comment about driving like an idiot, but hey, it has nothing to do with me. But wait, you were justified in your comments, now were you? Well, seeing as you're saying two different, if not opposite things, how about I just take my pick and go with the latter.
Where am I contradicting myself? I believe that learning how to drive is more effective than electronic stability devices. Please, point out the two opposite sides I'm arguing for.

Quote:
By the way, since you're so sure that you're justified in your comment, can you please tell me where I was going? Could you take another look in your crystal ball and tell me how heavy the traffic was, how long it would have taken to turn around and get back on track? Dazzle us, Mr. Judge, Jury and Executioner, I now know you have all the evidence.
As you know, you were going to the airport. You endangered innocent lives so you could make a flight. I don't know exactly how heavy traffic was, but if there was none you would have been able to slow down to make your exit. If there was a lot then you really are an idiot. I don't know or care how long it would take you to get back on track, but you were in Atlanta, so I'm assuming that there was another exit right after the one you would have missed. On top of that, you where going to an airport, and I'll also assume that there would have been big signs for it once you got off on the wrong exit. I don't have all of the evidence, just that which you gave me and I'm making a few assumptions that seem pretty fair to make. Are you telling me that you weren't driving dangerously? And it was on an interstate...so you put other peoples lives in the backseat so you wouldn't miss your flight. Doesn't sound like you were driving like a genius to me.

Quote:
An object -- tire, log, etc -- that is knocked off a semi-truck moves at the speed at which it was moving initially, plus (or minus, depending on direction) the additional speed caused by the force of whatever caused it to get knocked off in the first place. Add to that the fact that vehicles behind the truck would most likely be heading towards the object. The distance between the two could get very short very quickly. Staying 50 to 100 feet back will improve your chances of avoiding collision but won't eliminate the need for quick action to avoid an object coming right at you. Action that could cause certain vehicles to topple right over. Multiple times.
I understand that sometimes there are circumstances that are for the most part beyond our control. Perhaps this is where you think I'm contradicting myself. I'm saying I believe that most of the time ESC is activated that the situation could have been avoided by better driving. Most of the time. You keep giving me situation that are mostly out of the driver's control, and I keep saying that I realize sometimes shit happens. Once again: I believe MOST of the time the situation would have been avoided with better driving.

Quote:
It was a pretty bold statement to make. Surely you're not surprised that you're being asked to back it up.
O.K., I'll bite the bullet on this one. I should have said in previous posts that I believe that more than 1/2 the time a situation comes up where ESC takes over, the situation could have been completely avoided with better driving. No, I don't have any evidence to back it up, it was an opinion and I admit that I did not make that clear. Oh wait, did you see that smiley in my first post the very first time I said it? It's my opinion. Tough to back up with facts, but I guess I could try to use a personal experience to back it up.

Last edited by giant016 : 09-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.
giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 AM   #50
Pythias2050
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36

I actually have not.

Perhaps you should go talk to your sister

You need to just shut the **** up already, you pulled a very dangerous stunt, then were stupid enough to post about it on an internet forum, no shit you're going to get chewed out, it's too bad you didn't flip your vehicle a few times, would have been one less f*ckin retard on the road.

Oh and idiot is a understatement dike.
Pythias2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #51
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias2050
You need to just shut the **** up already, you pulled a very dangerous stunt, then were stupid enough to post about it on an internet forum, no shit you're going to get chewed out, it's too bad you didn't flip your vehicle a few times, would have been one less f*ckin retard on the road.

Oh and idiot is a understatement dike.

OWNED
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote