Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
0rbit series
CF Newbie

Unhappy Saturn: changing oil problem

Well, I was changing my oil today and I unscrewed the bolt and assumed all the oil was out after waiting around 20 minutes so I started to proceed to screw the bolt back on but it wouldn't go on at a perfect 100 percent degree so it wasn't exactly straight... Next i started tightening it even though it only seemed 3/4th way on I thought something was wrong but I wasn't sure so I kept going, which then more oil started pouring out and I was like what is going on? After waiting for the oil to pour out like 2 minutes later, I tried to unscrew the bolt but it wouldn't unscrew anymore. It stayed in the same place but I could wiggle it, it won't go on or off. A few friends said I might have stripped the bolt or something and I think they are right but I can't seem to get it off. I don't know if I have to go through the trouble to change the oil pan or not but I hope I don't. I tried using a vice grip to pull down while trying to turn it to try to put it back into place but that doesn't work. I also tried using a screw driver to stick into the space between the washer and the pan to put pressure on it going downwards to try to unscrew it but that dones't work either. Another friend suggested a car mechanic but I need it done like asap. So if anyone has any ideas to quickly get off the bolt I would appreciate it. Thanks
0rbit series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:57 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rbit series
Well, I was changing my oil today and I unscrewed the bolt and assumed all the oil was out after waiting around 20 minutes so I started to proceed to screw the bolt back on but it wouldn't go on at a perfect 100 percent degree so it wasn't exactly straight... Next i started tightening it even though it only seemed 3/4th way on I thought something was wrong but I wasn't sure so I kept going, which then more oil started pouring out and I was like what is going on? After waiting for the oil to pour out like 2 minutes later, I tried to unscrew the bolt but it wouldn't unscrew anymore. It stayed in the same place but I could wiggle it, it won't go on or off. A few friends said I might have stripped the bolt or something and I think they are right but I can't seem to get it off. I don't know if I have to go through the trouble to change the oil pan or not but I hope I don't. I tried using a vice grip to pull down while trying to turn it to try to put it back into place but that doesn't work. I also tried using a screw driver to stick into the space between the washer and the pan to put pressure on it going downwards to try to unscrew it but that dones't work either. Another friend suggested a car mechanic but I need it done like asap. So if anyone has any ideas to quickly get off the bolt I would appreciate it. Thanks
Take a deep breath, calm down and retype this in a way that's not a big block of yammering. Tell us what happened step by step in chronological order. How did more oil pour out if it was drained? You're not making much sense.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
0rbit series
CF Newbie

1) I needed to change my oil
2) I go under my car and unscrew the bolt where all the oil pours out
3) I wait like 20 minutes and assume all the oil is out
4) I decide to screw the bolt back on
5) As I screw on the bolt, when I reach a certain point, more oil starts pouring out
6) So I try unscrewing the bolt and apparently it's stuck
7) It wiggles in the same place but it won't unscrew or screw on
8) The theory is that the bolt or something is "stripped"
Old 09-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman

I think your oil pan is the more likely thing to be stripped here.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
0rbit series
CF Newbie

Yea I used a saw to cut off the bolt and the other half is just inside the pan somewhere. I looked at the pan and the hole is now like twice the size as before so I'm going to wield a piece of sheet metal to the bottom and get a new oil pan in the coming week
Old 09-04-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rbit series
Yea I used a saw to cut off the bolt and the other half is just inside the pan somewhere. I looked at the pan and the hole is now like twice the size as before so I'm going to wield a piece of sheet metal to the bottom and get a new oil pan in the coming week
Thats a good idea.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I was cringing at the thought of what you were doing to your car whilst reading you initial post here. I certainly seems to me that you've cross-threaded the sump plug (the bolt that holds the oil in ), in doing so you probably damged the sump's thread, you could always have somebody recut the thread but replacing it might be simpler and maybe cheaper!

As for more oil coming out, I can only assume you mean from the plug itself? in which case it could just be the remainder of the old oil that has built up in the sump while you're tightening the plug back up, this could seep throuhg the plug but only whilst it's relitively loose, once tight, as long as you put a washer on it, it shouldn't leak! As you say though, it won't tighten anymore, which brings me back to the first paragraph! Chances are though, even if you did manage to do it all the way up, it would probably just keep on spinning in the hole!

In future, always tighten the sump plug as much as possible by hand before putting a spanner or ratchet/socket on it, atleast this way, if the thread on the sump and bolt are in good condition, you know for sure that it isn't cross threaded!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote