Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
anrchy
CF Newbie

95 bonneville ssei - 92 boneville ssei

Ok I have two Pontiac Bonnevile's. Both Supercharged, one's a 95 and the other is the 92. The 95 has more problems and is not driveable. The 92 drives and has less problems, but I need to know how many of the parts are interchangeable. There is a rattle noise, that I was told last night is coming from the nose cone of the supercharger. The noise is similiar to the exhaust rattling against something. If it is something with the blower, are the two blowers identical and swappable?

Also, the fans dont seem to be coming on when they are suppose to, the engine temp works it's way towards 200. My dad told me he went and hand spun both of the fans and they came on and the temp dropped. If it's the sensor then I will go and buy another one, but if it's the fans I think I can swap the fans and shroud over. I just got the 92 last night so I havent had time to check it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
anrchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

THe parts should be interchangable. They both use the Series I 3800 V6. My mom had a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi up until just recently. Im very familiar with the 3800 engine.

Its a somewhat rare problem for a supercharger to go bad on one of those, I cant really tell you if thats what the noise is or not because Im not there to hear it. Does the rattling sound like its coming the the supercharger? A good way to tell is to take a metal bar of some sort and put it up to the supercharger while letting the motor run and then putting your ear up to the other end of the bar to see if you can hear it clearly.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
anrchy
CF Newbie

My dad said he had put a metal bar up to the nose cone and said that it was most likely coming from there... Another thing we just found out, we removed the belt and I turned the blower pully back and forth and there is quite a bit of play, and when it hits (back and forth) it makes a very distinct banging noise. Also, I am able to turn the crank pully back and forth with ease. I went and checked the other car and the blower seems to be in better condition because it does not hit at all. And the crank I am not able to move it with out using alot of force. We believe the harmonic balancer has gone out, and are going to switch it from one car to the other tommorow. And then if there is still any problems maybe take off the pulley end of the blower from the 95 and placing it on the blower from the 92.

Another problem I have found is, the dash lights dim when I push on the brakes and the right blinker doesn't work. There are several lights on the dash that say turning lamps brake lamps etc. and yellow lines show on the front and rear bumber of the simulated picture of the car.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thnx
Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

So the 1992 is the one making the banging noise, correct? Well, let me start off by saying, that if you are interested in horsepower and torque and going fast, then it would be best to save the 1995, seeing as it has better engine performance.

The gauge problem sounds to me like it might an alternator thing.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:19 AM   #5
anrchy
CF Newbie

well the 95 is trashed, and the previous owner was the "lead foot" type. The starter is out, the casing on the tranny where the drive axle cup slides into is all busted up, and missing the pinion shaft. The radiator fans dont work, the ignition switch is destroyed, there are no keys to the locks or ignition, and the drivers seat is twisted and makes you sit funny. The car has no title, is registered in a different state, and wont pass DEQ.

The 92 Drives, runs fine (except for the rattling noise) I have the title, keys, etc. All in all will cost less money, if any, to make it less problematic and road legal. And the 95 would be great for parts, being's it's all torn apart anyways.

The alternator on the 92 is charging fine, it runs the lights at night no problem. And if you have the headlights on the dashlights dont dim when you apply the brake. It seems like there is a wiring problem, because the right blinker acts funny, the indicator light is always on, and if you turn on the blinker it blinks when you apply the brake(and stays solid when you let off), but no outside blinker on the passenger side.

Tommorow I am going to change over the harmonic ballancer and see if that cures the problem. Then I will go from there, I will update you with any info that I find.

Thanks for the help.